Heart Rhythm Community
abnormal EKG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

abnormal EKG

I received an abnormal printout while taking an Army Reserve physical. It states:

SINUS RHYTHM
    Q waves in inferior leads
PROBABLE OLD INFERIOR INFARCTION
SUMMARY: ABNORMAL

What does this mean? When I asked if everything looked OK........I was told everything was fine. Why would they say that when I read this on the printout of the EKG??
I won't downplay this because once when  was testing a new EKG machine for a hospital I was going to work at, it told me I had a hemiblock. This does show up on my EKG sometimes and they never worry about it due to the nature of where it is.  These machines are amazing and can diagnose, but they are machines and can read things very wrong.  I would go to my own cardiologist and have them repeat the test and ask THEM if you had an "old infarct."  That is nothing to downplay.  If you get a similar reading, demand an explanation.  My mother had the same thing and they told her she must have had a heart attack somewhere in her late 50's and she didn't know it.  Well, she just passed at 77 from a lung problem and her heart was still going strong.  (By the way, she had PVCs all her life for any of you PVCers reading this.)