Heart Rhythm Community
afraid/unsure about taking cold medicine

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

I have a really REALLY bad cold and have never been one who likes to take meds.  Well, I know those of us who suffer with heart palps can't really take over the counter cold medicine, etc.  But I am suffereing sooooo badly.  It feels like my head is in a vise.  Anyway, someone gave me a "emergen-c" pack.  I have heard of them before, but wasn't sure if this would get my heat to skipping.  

Can anyone suggest anything that I CAN take??
Thanks.
I am not aware of any precautions regarding cold medications other than to avoid aspirin (in may medications) if you are on a blood thinner.  I don't know if caffeine is present in any of the medications, but that would also be good to avoid I think.

If you get some relief from an over-the-counter cold medication consider youself lucky, I find they do little to help me, well I may get some breathing relief for some decongestants.  

I am on a beta blocker and warfarin, and would take a cold medication with the above limitations noted.  I have also been on propafenon an arrhythmic drug and taken cold medications.
I would generally watch out for pseudoephedrine in the ingredients.  That is basically adrenaline.    It constricts arteries and speeds up the ticker.   So yes it can cause more palps.

Funny for me, when I take things that the doc says will cause me palps, I actually get less palps...  I hate it!  anyways, look out for the ephedrine.

If you want, ask your doctor if OK and what alternatives there are.  I've heard of something called mucenix (sp?) that is supposed to be heart friendly decongestant.
That's it....the psudo and the ephedrine.  I couldn't remember what the ingredients were that made your heart act up.  My husband just bought me some airborne, so I may take that tonight.  But I am actually feeling better this a.m. praise the Lord.  I really didn't want to take anything :-)

Thanks so much both of you.
pseudoephedrine is generally being replaced by phenylephrine, which is also a stimulant (an alpha agonist, in this case)
My doctor always told me the rule of thumb for people that suffer like us from pvc's and tachy events is to stay away from decongestants.  "D" for danger.  (pseudeophedrine)
Antahistimines are fine...like benedryl and regular claritin.
Did you ever take the Airborne?  I was always afraid to try that.
Frenchie
That is very interesting.  I will have to remember that.
I ended up taking SOME of the airborne.  You know how it dissolves in water...well, I drank a few sips and that was it.  Why were you afraid to take that?  I read the ingredients but didn't see any of the above items.  Really, I don't like taking anything; but I was feeling so awful.  I just tried to drink lots of fluids.  Boy does it suck not being normal huh :-)
Avatar n tn
I sometimes take 1/2 tsp. of Children's Sudafed, which is a very small amount. I have about 8000 PVCs a day, and my doctor said it's okay to take a little of that,, but only if I really need it. Or else, he said I could take 1/4 of the smallest regular Sudafed tablet every 4-6 hours, but only once in awhile. It does speed up the heart and constrict the blood vessels, so I take very little, and not often. Only when I'm so congested with a cold or something that I'm totally miserable. Anyone know if the Sudafed without ephedrine works at all? I've heard it isn't as effective.

What does give me a LITTLE relief is the inexpensive saline nose sprays you can find at any pharmacy. I have sinus pain and pressure a lot, without nasal congestion, and it helps some in getting the congestion to loosen up. Not sure if that will help, but it's very inexpensive to try.