Heart Rhythm Community
alcohol and its effect on yur heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

alcohol and its effect on yur heart

Curious question again: Is it normal for heart rate to increase alot after drinking and being jumpy?

The reason I am asking is because I've noticed my heart doing this of late. I'm talking about in the 110s-120s standing. High 90s-110s sitting.  Also being quite erratic-jumping around up in the 140s for a couple of seconds, then going down to the 70s for a second or two if I'm moving around. Some mild skipped beats also. This is after 3 beers in an hour and a half to two hours. That is my limit. I switch to water the rest of the night or I won't sleep well and will feel horrible the next day with lots of skips. I like my beers once a week with my husband,  but I hate this fast heart rate after as of late and am thinking of giving it up all together or maybe I just need to slow it down. Perhaps 3 in two hours is too fast. Lord knows my husband drinks more than that when he drinks. Lol!
hi. I am no doctor, but after 18 years with palpitations, I can at least share what I notice about ME. I DO NOT get tachy (racing heart) ..EVER. But...when I drink, which isnt too often as I just plain dont like the taste--I also dont like what it does to my heart. I can definatly notice after Ive had even 1 beer. I can feel it speed up a bit, and after 2..it starts skipping and jumping--thats how mine reacts.
My husband drinks ALOT more than I do. He has had a heart attack in 2008, and developed A-FIB AND A-Flutter in 2010, hospitalized for all of this stuff. The A-Fib came along after one of his rather heavy drinking nights---the doctor said it would NOT be the CAUSE of the Afib--the heart attack or just genetics ( his mom had it) probably was more the culprit on that, but that alcohol probably had a hand in how severe his episode was.
He was in some danger there for a few days while they were trying to get the Afib/flutter under control.
They told him alcohol does have a factor in the heartbeat. They didnt tell him he couldnt drink..but said moderation--which he did at first. Now, hes drinking more again...and his heart, after he comes home, really really races. He gets dizzy, and short of breath.
So yes, I do feel, just from experience with myself and watching my husband, that it DOES indeed affect the heart. To me, its not worth it. Id rather go without, than suffer with these darn skipped beats.

Does this happen only after you consume alcohol or more often than not.  Either way you should have this checked out.  and if caused by alcohol then you know how to avoid it.
I notice it after drinking, when I'm hungover I think it's fairly normal