atrial fibrilaltion
Hello!  My father has had atrial fibrilaltion for a few years now and has been on rytmonorm and cordarone.  Cordarone caused him thryroid problems (I think thyrotoxicosis), so he switched to rytmomorn last year.  He is currently hostialized for decompensated heart failure with an ejection fraction of 35%.  His doctor told us that rytmonorm is not good for patients with a depressed heart function.  My question is: is there another medication he can take for his atrial fibrillation?  Thank you so much,

Diana
I am taking sotalol for a-fib and alot of patients take that. It is specifically for a-fib and a-flutter. I don't have many side effects and it is working. He should ask his doc about having a ICD implanted and a pacing wire put in his atrium-that would also help. I don't know his whole story, but he should ask about it to see if he is a candidate. Good luck-Debi
I have been in chronic A-fib since 1996 and have tried the cardioversion on 2 different occasions.  My standard drug for A-fib is Coreg which has worked well for me with little side effects.  I have changed Docs a few times due to insurance regs and they all have kept me on Coreg.  Just my 2 cents worth...
Dear Bildy,
Thank you very much for the info.  My father has been in a-fib for over a week now, and the doctors may try cardioversion to convert him back to sinus rhytm.  Have you had any trouble with cardioversion?  I have heard that valves may rupture during the procedure, so my father is a little recultant to try it.
Dear Debola53,

Thank you for your comments and for recommending sotalol.  I will make sure that we ask the doctor about the pacing wire.  I think an ICD is already under discussion.