atrial flutter and pacemaker
I am scheduled for an ablation because of atrial flutter.  It used to be atrial fib  - have had 3 cardioversions for that and only the first one worked (for 3 weeks).  Now on flecanide and toprol but is it common to have an ablation when I also have a pacemaker?  It was put in last March after a fainting spell.
I believe a pacemaker has little, even no, effect on Atrial Flutter or Fibrillation.  Thus, I conclude, it is reasonable to have an ablation when also using a pacemaker.   I guess the pacemaker is there to keep your HR from falling too low, it will do nothing about any extra beats that come from the Flutter problem.  

Good luck, let us know how it goes.  We can always use current experience on ablation work for more questions that will continue to come in.
Your story sounds much like mine.  On May 26 09 I had a pacemaker implanted after I passed out (just before boarding a plane), next week 9/3/09 I will have an ablation for my PAT and the also they have to sew down my floating pacemaker.
They took me off flecanide after the pacemaker, but the two Doctors, one from CA the other at home in CO  did not agree with each other.  

It's  hard to know who to trust.