atrial flutter
I went to the ER this week with what was diagnosed as atrial flutter. Heart Rate was a sustained 155 bpm. after meds it slowed and within two hours converted to normal sinus rhythm. Cardiologist recommended ablation. He also said I did not need to change anything I was doing such as diet, exercise, etc... I am 57 years old, never had an major health problems, regular runner, 164 lbs, 5'9" tall and before this in what I considered really good health. I have two questions... 1. Is this an arrhythmia I should be overly concerned about and 2. Are there dangers associated with ablation that I should consider as opposed to medication. I do take a small dose of medicine for blood pressure and cholesterol and so I am not averse to taking meds to control it. Thanks for any advice you could give me.
There are more dangerous arrhythmias than what you have been diagnosed with, however, it is not a good idea to have a heart rate the fast for any length of time.

As to the ablation, I have read both good and bad things about it, some say it helped immensely, others say it did nothing, same as the drugs, I think it all depends on the individual.
Thanks for your response.
I have left aflutter.  They say that right aflutter usually has better odds being treated by ablation and is a simplier procedure.  It may be helpful to find out which type of aflutter you have.