Heart Rhythm Community
av node ablation and sob

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

av node ablation and sob

My husband has a lot of health problems including copd. Recently he had an av node ablation and he feels better but ever since he went back into a fib he has been plagued with shortness of breath whereas before it seemed to be under control.  My question is..does a fib and sob have anything to do with each other?  Is it just coincidence that he is experiencing sob now?  He says he refuses to live like this and it scares me.  Thanks
Hello...

In your husbands case, having preexisting history of COPD, it would be difficult to say that his SOB is related to Afib.

When people are in atrial fibrillation, the heart is not pumping efficiently which can cause congestion in the lungs, leading to CHF (congestive heart failure). The onset of this can cause the person to feel short of breath.

I think that he needs to call his cardiologist. If his sob is caused by CHF and not his COPD, the Dr may prescribe a diuretic like Lasix (Furosemide) to relieve the fluid build up in the lungs.

I hope that you are able to persuade him to make this call:)
You didn't say what medications your husband is taking, some of them, such as beta blockers, can cause tiredness and some SOB.  

Does it take much or any physical activity to cause an awareness of SOB, or is it all the time?  I suffer from AFib and I have very minor symptoms when my physical activity is low, but I'd describe myself as suffering from a SOB when I go up stairs or walk up hill.  Walking on the level, no problem, I have to load up a bit to bring on the SOB.  I also experience it as "tired muscles" such as the muscles are not getting enough oxygen.

I'm not sure how much help my comments are, they are offered as real data from someone who has AFib.  I have not had any ablation procedures, however.
Hi Brooke, thanks for your comments.  My husband is 66 years old has been diagnosed as having chf, is already on lasix and it seems that before he had the av node ablation he was sleeping 18-20 hrs a day and was just miserable.  Now that he's had the ablation, he was hoping that the sob would go back to being managable like it was before the ablation.  It is really depressed that he seems to still get the sob though not as bad.  He is still taking naps in the afternoon but only for an hour or two.  He did see his cardiologist yesterday who said that as he loses weight (15 pds so far!!) the breathing should get better.  Taking a shower can have him running (figuratively speaking) for his oxygen. He only used oxygen at night for his sleep apnea before all of this).Thanks for your help!
Hi Jerry, thanks for your comments.  It would take a long time to list all the meds my husband is on.  He can't do stairs anymore, has trouble walking long distances and also has the added pleasure of neuropathy due to diabetes in his feet and hands.  It's just that he gets so depressed about his lack of quality of life.  I told him it would take time to get his strength back from the ablation and the quality of life would get better. I try to keep upbeat and keep him focused on all that he can still do..but I got to tell you, it's hard. He is on Lasix and that does seem to help.  He is tired of not being able to do things that he used to do and gets so frustrated.  Thanks for listening.
With you on his side, his cheer leader that can come only from true love, he has a great chance of getting better.  Just try to keep up your wonderful support and help him follow what his doctor says needs to be done.

Maybe there can be new "constructive" activities that fit his energy level.  There may be some volunteer or even for-pay work he can do sitting at a computer and on the Internet.

Just a thought, best wishes and thanks to you for being such a supportive wife,
When did your husband have the ablation? I had one two and a half weeks ago and I am still short of breath so maybe that is common. Everyone says it takes about three months before you are completely healed but I am very depressed about my quality of life right now also. good luck and I hope he feels better soon!
My husband had his ablation on April 21.  This is his 3rd one.  He's had his pacemaker since 2003 and was fine until late Feb when he started getting sick.  His primary dr. thought he had an upper respitory infection and was treating him for that for 3 weeks until by chance his cardiologist appt came up and he found out he was really in a-fib.

Thanks for your kind words.  Hope you start feeling better soon too!