Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
blacking out

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

blacking out
For as long as I can remember I have been getting dizzy after standing up, and never thought anything of it.  But it has been gradually getting worse over the last few years, to the point of almost fainting a few times.  It's not only after standing up after lying down, but sitting too and sometimes only for a little bit.  Basically everything gets really blurry, sometimes completly black, and I get really lightheaded and sometimes pretty short of breath too. This only last a few seconds though.  In the last year this has started happening a few times a day and is irritating more than anything.  In the last few months i've had a few palpitations too where my heart will start racing when i'm not doing anything physical.  I thought it might have something to do with my blood pressure so i have been taking it and it's been all over the place.  From 124/82 to 96/58 in a matter of seconds so maybe it's orthostatic hypotension?  Also, I usually manually take my BP but a couple times I used an automatic one, and twice the little symbol for an abnormal rhythm came up.  I tend to get sick alot too lately, I don't know if thats related to any of this.  But this could be nothing.  Anyway, I don't know if I should make an appointment or not, i've been avoiding it for so long.  I hate to waste anyone's time if it's nothing.  
It sounds like you have orthostatic blood pressures when you stand.  It is worth seeing your doctor about this.  If it is simple orthostatic hypotension, there might not be a great treatment other than increased fluids, salt, compressions stockings, and some medications that are helpful in raising blood pressure.  If the symptoms are very bad, you may end up seeing a specialist.  This is usually not dangerous, but the symptoms can be very frustrating and sometimes debilitating depending on extreme they are.  I hope this helps.
Thanks for posting.
ps- i'm only 19