Heart Rhythm Community
breathing difficulty after ablation

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

breathing difficulty after ablation

Ten days ago I had cryoablation and radiofrequency ablation for atrial fib and flutter. An intracardiac echocardiogram was performed during the procedure. My chest feels full and it's somewhat difficult to breathe due to tightness and a dry cough. My question is what causes the breathing difficulty and how long will it persist. I won't be seeing my doctor for 3 months since I live in Mexico and the procedure was performed in the US. But if this is an urgent matter I can see a local cardiologist.
Avatar n tn
elizabeth,why did you get the ablation? were your symptoms really horrible? ablations can be scary. i would never get one. what was the cause of your atrial fibrillation and flutter?
Avatar n tn
My decision to have cryoablation (augmented with radiofrequency ablation) was based on the long term effects and toxicity of taking meds versus the chance at a "cure" of my Afib. My Afib self regulated after 6 to 8 hours. But this was likely to change as I get older. Both my mother and grandmother had strokes, possibly related to Afib problems. After meeting with my doctor I researched cryoablation online and feel my decision was the right one. My only concern is the post operative breathing difficulties that I'm experiencing and how long the problem will persist. From google search I suspect it's a normal, if not typical, reaction to the invasive nature of the surgery. Hope that helps explain my decision to have ablation.
I don't know if you can call your cardiologist's office and ask if you should be seen but typically a nagging cough lasting this long should be checked. I've had 3 ablations but no coughing problems afterwards. I did have some dull ache in my chest for a few days but that was all. It could be something like a small blood clot in the lungs or it could be a coincidental respiratory infection. Are you taking any heart meds now after the procedure? There are some meds that can cause a dry, nagging cough. For peace of mind, I would call and ask.
Avatar n tn
i am happy that you were able to get it done and handle it well. i have severe anxiety and just the thought of an ablation send me to panic. i get atrial fibrillation for about 1 hr or so due to the stress of my life and high bp. but even with the stroke risk,i could never be able to handle an ablation. i hope your symptoms go away.