chest pressure...related to alcohol??
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the message I am about to post.......
A couple of years ago, I went on holiday to Spain, got a horrendous chest infection but the symptoms eased considerably when I drank alcohol (like you do, for medicinal purposes!!) as it seemed to soothe my throat/chest. I drank a fair bit on this holiday, plus it was all inclusive so I definitely had way over my limits! Anyway, soon after it was Christmas and I drank more than normal, then I went through a stressful period at work (job can be very stressful some days) and I fell into the habit of having a couple of glasses of red wine most nights. This then turned into every night and pretty soon I realised that I was having way too many alcohol units in a week and it would definitely do me harm in the long run.

I was VERY rarely drunk on these occasions, I never craved a drink it was simply a habit I had fallen in to.
Anyway, I decided just not to have anything alcoholic at all to drink. No problems, it was an easy decision and I was happy. However, after a few days I began having palpitations and had the most horrendous chest pressure. I really thought I was having a heart attack one night! I saw my GP and after telling him all the above, he vaguely mumbled something about withdrawal symptoms.

I'd never even considered this so started looking it up. I suffer only from a FEW palpitations and to be honest they are getting rarer now I've discovered that chocolate and coffee also trigger them, so I avoid both as much as possible now. I have no other symptoms of withdrawal, I don't crave alcohol, I've gone 6 weeks up to this point without any alcohol and it hasn't bothered me a bit....but I STILL get this chest pressure which drives me crazy. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest some days and others it just feels a little tight. But then, some days I don't get those feelings at all and it can feel perfectly fine for days or even weeks......then it comes back. It isn't during stressful or busy periods either, it's just out of the blue!
I KNOW that if I went back to my old habits of drinking daily again, I wouldn't get this pressure, I know because I tried the theory a few months back!!! What I'm saying is that alcohol seems to stop me getting this chest pressure.
That leads me to think it IS like a withdrawal effect!! I don't want to drink daily, that was a thing that I did for just over a year, then I realised one day that is was WAY too much and it was simply a very bad habit.
Just to end, I'm 39, don't smoke and never have, don't do drugs, I AM a bit overweight, my cholesterol level was bordering high when it was taken so now I'm going down the sensible eating route and it's coming down. My blood tests and ECG came back ok and my blood pressure is normal (not even high normal!) and my pulse rate is generally around 85 on average (high would be about 98 for me) I have my own blood pressure monitor and it's always stable although sometimes it feels like my heart is racing and I can feel it almost in my throat. There's no history of heart problems in my family either.

Is something that anyone can relate to??? Quite simply, I'm sure that if I'd have carried on drinking as I was, I wouldn't be typing this now as I wouldn't have the symptoms!!
I'm very confused and would love someone to share their opinions!!
Thank you SO much!!!!
Well your family doc can tell you all of the "i thinks" that he/she wants to about the possibilities and the what ifs.............but the only way you'll know for sure is to make an appt with a heart doc.....spend the 50.00 and get the answers that you are looking for.  It does not sound like your family doc ran any tests on you and listening to your heart for 2 minutes won;t do it here.  I would make the appt and then take a look at what adjustments you need to make in your life socially and habitually.....get a clean slate to start out with and go from there would be my humble opinion...............