Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
daughter

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

daughter

I have a 9.5 year  old daughter who was born with a small murmur in her heart. We were advised that this would seal of in time and since she grew naturally and normally and had no weakness etc we let the matter rest. Recently after taking a cough mixture which contained psuedoephederine her heart rate jumped to about 170 beats per minute. This was confirmed in a doctors surgery.Incidentally my daughter has a profound phobia of doctors due to an incident some time ago which i guess also assisted in her extremly hightened state. We then monitored her heart rate 12 hours later and noticed that her normal heart rate varies between 90 to 120 beats per minute. This as i understand is not normal. My daughters weight is 55kg which i know is too heavy and we are activly trying to work on this to get her down to a decent weight height ratio. She is quite tall for her age and is generally healthy with no signs of any abnormal growth or weakness.After this incident we recalled that she has had difficulty in playing strenous sport which we thought was due to her weight. She gets breathless quicker than the other kids.She also gets asthma like cough at least 2 or 3 times a year. Aside from these 2 noticable problems we have't noticed any other abnormalities with her.

What could cause such a high heart beat count?

Can it be cured or helped by non invasive means?

Is my daughters immediate health at risk?

I live in Fiji where the health facilities for serious health problems is at best medicore and should advanced care be needed i may have to consider either New Zealand or Australia for treatment therefore i would like to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible to allow me to gather enough financial resources to get her treatment within a reasonable amount of time.

Your initial advise in this regards will be very much appreciated as i have only one child and the thought of loosing her is unbearable.            

Tags: daughter

Medications like pseudophedrine can cause fast heart rates.  Without an EKG you don't know what the rhythm is.

I am not sure without knowing what it is.  If this was the first time it ever happened, it might be a long time before it happens again.  The goal is to get an EKG when her rate is that fast so you can get a diagnosis and then potentially a treatment.

In the US the approach would be an EKG, echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and possibly a stress test to see how her heart rate responds to exertion and see if it stimulates any abnormal heart rhythm.  These tests are usually necessary to help assess risk.   I would recommend seeing a cardiologist that see children, preferably one that specializes in heart rhythms if possible.

I hope this helps and hope that all is well.