Heart Rhythm Community
defib lead dislodgement - 3rd time in 3 months

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Hi - I am a  52 year old female. Had a stroke at 43 due to antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.  Three months ago it was necessary to implant a defibrillator/pacemaker because of ventricular fib. The leads have dislodged three times since then. I was a marathon runner before the stroke and now I try to stay active but my left side is pretty much completely paralyzed The last time the dr. implanted the device on the right side because the left side is scarred up and worn out. Why does this keep happening? My workouts are extremely tame and I try to keep my arms out of it. the left arm doesn't move anyway.  I feel like it's my fault but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Sorry to read of your suffering.

The problem seems unacceptable to me, there must be a cause.  I think you need to rule out you physical activity by being as inactive as possible, for what, a month? to see it the lead stays in place.  If not, then there is something else wrong, maybe a change in doctor.

Good luck, and wishing a Merry Christmas and the gift of better health experience.