discontinuing atenolol
hello
I am 30 & i've been using atenolol (50mg) for the past 6 years for treating tachycardia.
before starting the drug i was pretty healthy..
now i have lots of health issues- low blood sugar, IBS, chronic candida overgrowth, low blood pressure, food allergies etc..
i never have energy & im always tired.. i can only think its caused by the beta blocker!
I am too young to have all these ailments..
Please can anyone help with advice on substitution for atenolol or discontinuing??
meagan
Your doctor must wean you off of the Atenolol should you both decide to discontinue it. Stopping it without your doctors help could result in dangerous side effects.  I have been on it since 2002 and really do not feel like it is helping my PACs or tachy, and I do have other ailments that I contribute to taking the BB.  My cardio insists I continue taking it. I only take 12.5mg QHS, b/c when I took 25 mg, I could not even function.  Please be sure you speak with your doctor before discontinuing any heart medication. Best of luck to you.
i too was on a beta blocker for many years. Prior to starting them I was very, very active. Then i started the beta blockers and all i wanted to do was sleep. I was so tired all of the time. FINALLY, I decided to do an ablation to treat the SVT instead of taking a daily med. I no longer take the beta blocker daily, but take it PRN, but have ended up with other problems as a result of the ablation. It is tough because at times you think that the medicine isnt even working that well and the side effects of the medication are worse than what it is treating. If that is indeed the case for you, then you should talk to your doctor about discontinuing it or possibly switching to something else that might work better for you. Good luck!!