Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
early repolarization

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

early repolarization

My husband is 30 years old, 6'1" 180 lbs and has always had a hard time running. He has tightness in the chest and shortness of breath while running.  He will run about three times a week for a twenty minute run and has done this for about four years (sometimes he will take a month off during the winter). Last week he was so out of breath after his run (during cooling off ) that I took his heart rate with an oximeter. His heart rate was 180 , ten minutes later it was 165 , twenty minutes later it was 132 . My husband's heart rate is usually around 70.  Sometimes after running he will just immediately have to sit down because he is so out of breath from his twenty minute run.

He had a heart murmur as a child but it went away. He has had a pulmonary function test and it was normal. He is very healthy and does not take medication.  

The cardiologist said he was ok. My husband walked on the treadmill and had normal results. He also had a normal echocardiogram.

His EKG showed that he had early repolarization.  

The cardiologist said that my husband was fine and nothing to worry about.

Should we be concerned about the EKG results, the early repolarization ?
Should we seek a second opinion regarding the early repolarization ?
Should we seek a second opinion regarding the tightness in chest and shortness of breath / high heart rate after cooling down?

Thank you!
Dear crest213921 ,

Thanks for writing in.

I don’t see any reason for you to be worried. I guess your doctor’s opinion is likely to right as he has had normal stress test. If the ST-T changes that you had described were to be related to any heart disease, there should have be some abnormality in stress test. Overall, if looks like faulty acclimatization, rather than any other disease process. I would suggest that he needs exercise training, which generally involves walking or running on the treadmill with moderate speed but increasing gradient. Once he has been trained for about 3months, all the symptoms and heart rate issues should settle down.

A second opinion about early repolarization or the symptoms after cooling down is not warranted at this stage.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol