Heart Rhythm Community
ejection fracture........

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

ejection fracture........

I am curious to what is a normal ejection fracture?
Ejection fraction, I think, is given by the ratio of the volume of blood pumped out of the heart (one beat) to the entire volume of the heart. I dont know what the normal ratio is exactly.  There are a couple of things to know:

1. if the ejection fraction is low, and you have VT, it may warrant having an ICD.
2. ejection fraction measurements are not very accurate.
3. ejection fraction varies with age, and with exercise.

I've seen ranges as wide as 50-70% being "normal" but generally 55% and up is what the literature says.  Below 35% is considered significantly inhibited function and is one of the benchmarks for ICD indication.  Your ejection fraction varies somewhat from day to day and hour to hour and measurements have something like a 6%+- margin of error.  If your measurement comes in above 50% you're probably in the normal category.  All numbers I've referred to above are for left ventricular function.  RV ejection fraction can be documented by MRI and angiogram (?) but I don't know normal RV ranges.
Thanks,I was reading an old echo report from 3 years ago and it said ejection fraction at 55 percent to 60.....so I was just curious!
I was told my injection fraction is 35%. I am 67 yrs old.
Sorry, I just love the idea of an "injection fracture."   ;-)
isn't that what the oil companies do to get more oil out of the ground? :-)
Good one!
my ef is 35% I am 67 yrs had bypass surguery