enlarged heart vs. lvh
I was just wondering, is there a difference in an enlarged heart and left ventricular hypertrophy? Is an enlarged heart just that the whole heart is bigger and lvh is just the ventricle being bigger than nbormal? Is a mild case of LVH a serious condition?  Not sure of the measurements, just that I have mild LVH. Also, does the heart or ventricle ever return to normal size if the reason for the LVH was a period of high blood pressure? Thanks for any input.
Left ventricular hypertrophy is just one cause of an enlarged heart. It typically results from many years of high blood pressure. When you have hypertension your heart has to beat harder to force blood to the rest of the body. Like any muscle the heart will gain in size to compensate for the higher pressure. Increased size is not a good thing when it comes to the heart. There is limited space in the chest and the heart does not beat well if it gets to big. The best thing you can do is control your high blood pressure with medications, exercise, and proper diet. You should get routine stress tests including 12 lead EKG's to insure that it does not get worse. You are at a higher risk for Congestive Heart Failure, but if you follow your doctor recomendations you should not have any major complications. Good luck.