Aa
A
A
Close
exercise after cardioversion
hello,
i had cardioversion 5 days ago to convert my first ever a fib episode.  none of my dr's will tell me if it is ok to exercise or have sex. I am only 28 and there is no underlyign heart disease and am in realitivly good shpe.  i like to stay active and exercise, and well i do have a wife and our 3 year anniversary is coming up. is it ok to exercise/have sex?

if anyone can help me out with this i would appreciate it

thanks

blessings

Chris
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi Chris,

I've had a-fib for years, first very infrequently, now quite often.  I'm in the process toward an ablation.   However, I have been a very active competitive athlete, training hard between episodes and, more recently, training while in a-fib.  My doctor and all my reading suggests no prohibition on exercise at all with one bigggggg qualifier:   A-fib can lead to pooling of blood in the atrium with possible clotting.  After cardioversion normal sinus rhythm can pump the clot out and it can go to naughty places.  Trust me, I know, as I had a "heart attack" this summer, finally diagnosed as a clot produced during a-fib.  It was minor and no lasting damage, thank goodness, but it could have been worse.  The answer, which your physician can affirm, is to anti-coagulate.  I'm on warfarin so my risk is reduced.  Aspirin is sufficient for some folks.  Post ablation I hope to be completely back to normal.

So, I'd say ok to exercise and sex, but certainly discuss the clotting possibility with your physician.

Steve
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Recent Activity
874521 tn?1424120397
Blank
opus88 commented on photo
Sep 23
506791 tn?1439846583