extra heartbeats
what can cause an extra heartbeat?what does it mean when there are several of them? what is the treatment? is this fatal?
There could be several explanations, but few treatments. Of course it can be dependent of which extra beats you experience.  Could you explain further on how you feel, or what you experience with the extra heart beats?  
Yes, it would be helpful if we knew more.  Plus if you google the heart issue you are asking about , there is  tons of info. And also here too!!!!! Expert advice and people who live with these things on a daily basis.
Hi, a quick cautionary comment.....watch out when doing a 'google'.  You will find a lot of information that will scare the you know what out of you.  Believe me, I am familiar with just about everything the 'net' has to say.  Try to focus on the positive news which is that just about everybody has an extra beat or two sometime in their life.  Lots of people walk around blissfully unaware that their heart is throwing off hundreds of these extra/early beats.  Some people have the honor of feeling every little one of them and for those that have thousands a day, they are very special people to keep on with their daily activities.  Some people have two or three in a row, some experience them every so often.  For the most part, these things are a major annoyance and are considered benign and not life threatening.  There are people who constantly have had them and lived into their 90's.  

The best information I came across was an article that talked about the miracle of how our hearts work and the many different mechanisms in place to compensate for a missed or early beat and to keep our hearts going.  It was a great article and I wish I had bookmarked it.  

As to what causes them?  Many things can contribute to them, excitement, anxiety, stress, overeating, spicy foods, over-exertion, lack of sleep, hormones, allergies, spinal mis-alignment, thinking about them and a host of other goofy situations.  

What can cure them?  We all wish we knew and that there was a magic pill out there.  What works for one person, may not work for another.  There are vitamins, minerals, fish oils, meditation, chiropractic care, balancing the PH levels in the body, prayer and many other suggestions that people will talk about.  Medications may or may not work (if they pop up more often with anxiety, lots of people find an anti-anxiety drug helps) .  It's one of those quirky things that those of us who have them, experiment in the hopes of ridding ourselves of these pesky things.  I'd even hang upside down, stark naked in a snow storm to get rid of them.

Are they fatal?  If you have a cardiac work-up, and the doctor gives you the wonderful news that they are BENIGN PVC's, ask the doctor that question, I'll bet he says NO.  You are just as safe as the person who does not have or feel them.  Your benefit is that you and your doctor know your hearts condition pretty well and this actually is a plus.

So, if you are having these early beats and they are causing you distress, see your doctor and firmly request a cardiac work-up which includes wearing a Holter Monitor to record those beats.  Don't let them brush you off as having a case of the vapors. At least you'll be able to set your mind at rest and join the rest of us who are trying to cope with them.  Hope all this info helps somewhat.  Take care.
Very informative reply!!! This is why I come here...you all are terrific!!!!!
Thanks much!!!!
Great post ladyjake!