fast heart rate after eating
hi,

I'm a 28 year old female, 5'6, overweight.  I have found that sometimes when I eat sweets, my heart rate is quite fast afterwards, around 100bpm.  I've had MANY heart tests and scans, I also have health anxiety...not a good combo.  Anyone who's felt this way, or has some advice would be helpful.

thanks
I am 29 and not overweight, however, I frequently get a fast heart rate after eating.  I have had an EKG and a 48 hour holter monitor this year, and both came back normal. Like you, I also suffer health anxiety.  I can't give you a reason why you get these rushes, but there could be several causes.  Things like MSG and food intolerances are common causes of this I understand.  For me, I am still searching for answers, because I not only get the fast HR after eating, but also when I wake up from sleeping.  And let's not even talk about the morning time in general...my poor heart is working overtime then!  Sadly, no one has been able to tell my why this is, except to say that it is anxiety.  So, if you find any answers, please share..I would love to hear them :)
Very interesting, I am 33 male and not overweight and I have had similar symtoms on and off. I had an EKG when I was 26 and they said I was perfectly fine. I too am looking for answers. I wonder if its a metaboilic sensitivity or if its feelings that cause the symtoms?  
I think that you all are experiencing food allergy reactions or food sensitivity. I have those so, I can sort of speak from experience. Also, if you eat sugar, that causes a "sugar rush" as the adrenal glands are releasing chemicals to help balance the sugar, and, if you are hypoglycemic, the sudden rise in sugar can be indeed a rush.

Count your pulse before you eat, record that number, about 10 to 15 minutes after you finish the entire meal, start counting again, if it goes up over 10 over the first reading, it is more than likely food related. There are some great books on rotation diets, but, I would suggest you folks first cut out all wheat and yeast as they are the most common, so is soy and eggs and dairy. I know, what can I eat? Well, it is not easy, so, just try one food at a time, and in the mean time, eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, these are usually pretty well tolerated.

There are also herbs and other supplements that can help digestion, as poor digestion can also cause food intolerances. I could go on and on, but, it would be a novel, so, try what I have written first, and take it from there. I hope this helps, keep us posted. I know what you are going through is no fun.

Oh yes, the reason you may wake up with the fast heart beat is because some food allergens stay in your system as long as 24 hours. Don't despair, it can be worked with.

Susie
I find that if I eat a lot of sweet stuff or maybe beer...etc, my heart will beat pretty fast.

Today when I woke up it was about 70, so I guess its done.  I try not to look stuff up on the internet about my heart, it sends my anxiety through the roof!  But thanks for your comments...its a weird sensation that can be scary for anxious people :)