Heart Rhythm Community
flecainide side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

flecainide side effects

Hello everyone! I just recently started taking Flecainide (about a month ago)for rhythm issues and pvc's and it has really helped. I have not had any pvc's since starting on it at all and I was having thousands a day every day!  My question is kind of weird. A few days ago I started having leg pain in my left leg. Then it started going numb. It would alternate between pain and numbness. I did not have any swelling though and now it feels better. Could that be a side effect of the medicine that is not listed or should I concerned?
Hello...

I have been on Flec 2 different times for treatment of Afib...I don't believe that it causes any kind of joint or muscle pain. If it feels better now and doesn't return than I would chalk it up to coincedence. You could always call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if there is any corelation to this med and what you have experienced. I'm glad that the meds are helping you:)
thank you, that was really what I was thinking as well just wanted another opinion. I have read some really scary things about flecainide but so far it has been so great!! I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work! Have a great weekend.
Sounds like it is working VERY well for you!  Did you start taking it with a few days stint in the hospital?  I have been on it since January.  On the second day, my heart was going so slow, I had NO pulse.  It was just it working WITH the other 5 cardiac meds I was on.  I got a pacemaker shortly after that.  My pacemaker has been the highlight of 2008.  

I find that sometimes my mouth, lips, tongue feel some numbness which I always thought was a flecainide side effect.  Consider that it is a "caine".. like novacaine, lidocaine, bupivicaine..  All the numbing stuff at dentists and when sutures go in.  I often have a burning gut if I don't take it with something to eat.  Have you experienced that?

I still have PVCs, SVT, skips and pauses (which I call engine knock) everyday... just not as bad.  I am considereing changing to something else but for me dealing with the flecainide is at least a known problem instead of the whole dark scary road of all new meds again and all that entails.  It usually takes at least a couople weeks to adjust to every change they make.  I almost always end up with almost no blood pressure.  Flecaininde at least doesn't add so much to the whole hypotension problem.  Glad to hear you are doing well with it.

As a nurse, I had always considered that one on the list of meds that declare there IS a problem.  I have not really grown to comfortable with it.  It has helped me here to see that people do OK on these things and even find that it improves things... like my pacer.  By the way... I got it as a back up and now I am over 75% paced  ALL the time.  I told my cardiologist that I recommend them to everyone.  :)

Blessings!
I'm glad to hear some positive reports regarding Flecainide.  One of my doctors prescribed it for my PVCs saying its the best medicine of all the choices for PVCs. (I'm sure he meant in "my case".)  

However, the other doctor said "NO. Do NOT take THAT!"  So I am hesitant and really don't know if I should, or not.  I had decided not to try it at this time, based on all the negatives I've heard.  Now, I am actually hearing some positives.  

So, I will be checking these posts frequently concernig what others experiences are, or, have been, regarding Flecainide.  I may or may not reconsider taking it.
I want to say "Thank You underinformed35" for posting this.  :  )

I am also thankful to all of those who have and will be posting; as, I am looking forward to reading all of them.
If a doc wanted to start an ACE or a beta-blocker.. it is not a really big deal.  Very common, lots of data available, fairly few side effects...  There are other meds which you don't go into so lightly.  Flecainide, sotolal, tikosyn, amiodarone...  When I see some of these on my pt list of meds, it screams there is a problem- that simpler solutions couldn't fix.  If you haven't tried the simpler ones yet, it is definitely a better place to start.  When I say I had NO pulse, that means waking up from unconsciousness in the ER with the crash cart in play.  Very scary.
I have been taking Flecainide for thirteen years 150 mg twice a day. I have not had any sustained ventricular tachycardia since,  Never had any side effects. I have tried a lot of anti -arythmic drugs this was the only one that has ever worked.
Flecainide can be dangerous for some people, I had to have ECG`s done every other day to measure QRS intervals.
According to my trusted EP, flecainide is not prescribed as a first line of treatment, and in fact is reserved for specific situations.  I was never offered anything stronger than a beta blocker until I developed cardiomyopathy.  Then, because my heart function was affected by the PVCs, the benefits of flecainide definitely outweighed the risks.

This is definitely a medication that requires your physician to decide clearly if the benefits outweigh the risks.  If they do, it is worth taking it.  I've been to a number of cardios, including several EPs, over the last 30 years, and NOT ONE was willing to prescribe beyond a beta blocker for benign PVCs.

I took flecainide for about 4 months and had side effects that involved my central nervous system.  Switched to rhythmol, and ultimately decided to see if an ablation could be curative.  
to banglamom-sorry just reading everyones post. I did not start this in the hospital but doctor said that I needed to stay home and take it easy with someone with me for the first three days. I was very scared of this medicine at first especially when reading that you needed to start it in the hospital and told him that. He had recommended the medicine one month and said go home and research this and when you come back in a month we will talk about it. So when I went back after reading I had pretty much decided against it. He did say that it is not the first line of treatment and does carry risks but he really felt like in my situation it would improve my quality of life. I was really having a hard time functioning. I do have some stomach side effects with it like you, but nothing to extreme. Just being able to get through the day is a blessing!!
To bon-bon I would be very hesitant to take this if I just had pvc's. Like everyone else has said, I would try other things first and then just find a doctor you can trust and take their advice. The EP specialist that I am seeing now is wonderful, but this is my second one. The first one basically said I can't help you, but this one just keeps trying things and really wants me to feel better. He has really given me some hope. Good luck. This forum is also a wonderful place for support and help with not feeling SO alone! Thanks everyone.
How are you doing today?  

Regarding the symptoms you mentioned (alternating pain and numbness in your left leg)?  Has it gone away, or, are you still having trouble with that?

I am sure you have probably spoken with your doctor regarding these symptoms?

Also, thank you for your suggestion in your previous post.  

Keep us in touch about how you are doing and if you find information regarding a connection with your leg symptoms and Flecainide.

Have you continued to be PVC free?  Based on your post, Flecainide seems to be quite helpful for you.

I pray you will be healed completely in Jesus name.  

Have a blessed day.
I jump in to learn, not help.

I suffer only from AFib, and my EP doesn't want to risk an ablation (I am still unclear as the appropriateness of ablation for AFib anyway, seems there is) but after my last Electrocardioversion lasting only two weeks in sinus, and I was on a heavy dose of Rythmol SR (425mg twice a day), he as suggested three stronger medications, one being Flecainide which he said would require hospitalization for the implementation, a couple of days he said.  I have a decision meeting with him on Monday and I had about decided to live with AFib, but this post makes me think it may be enough "stronger" that it may be able to convert me to sinus, and hold me there.  I also read some have years of experience with this drug, it isn't the new med on the "block".  My EP put Amiodaione on the bottom of his recommended list, saying it was the most risky.

I am operating under the advice that if I'm a good boy and keep my INR between 2-3 my AFib does not put me at any more risk of heart failure than does my condition being forced in sinus.  So, if I am reasonably comfortable with AFib, just take my coumadin, and maybe a little beta blocker for rate control.
bon-bon, my leg is better but I am still not sure if there is a correlation. I am almost completely pvc free. I still have days that I feel really super tired, but I can live with that. Being diagnosed with sick sinus syndrome (I'm 36) was really depressing for me but I am just living one day at a time. This medicine has been so wonderful for me so far, but I have only been taking it for a month and a half. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
jerry- this medicine is vey strong, much stronger than beta blockers which did not help me at all. You have to weigh the risks and benefits to you and only you know that for sure. I wish you luck and hope for the best for you.
Underinformed35- GLad to hear that your leg issues have resolved. More happy to hear that you're PVC free:)))

Jerry- Everytime I have been started back on Flecainide it is out of the hospital with an event monitor. Just have to send in a reading 2 hours after each dose. The only time my cardio mentioned in-patient was to start me on Tykosin (I opted out of that one) As for the Amioderone, this has been put on the table twice now. My Dr refered to it as his "big guns" I basically told him to keep his guns in his holter...as I am not interested in this even as a short term treatemnt. If you are managing your Afib reasonably well, you should stick with your routine:)
Thanks, I've had long periods of sinus rhythm (a year plus) from past electrocardios, but it no longer works, following my mitral valve surgery.  The only down side I have from AFib is I get tired easily, shortness of breath.  Even with a dangerous leaky mitral valve condition a couple of years ago I was able to jogg, at 10 minute miles, of faster.  Now I can't walk 15 minute miles, or walk up a grade without getting winded.  I have some advice that it is must I'm "out of shape", some AFib'ers seem to seem to be able to do heavy physical exercise without getting into an exhausted state.  I'll talk some more with my EP about Flecainide - it could be worth a try, one more try, to convert from medications.   Or maybe I can talk him into an ablation, ha
I would definitely pick the ablation if that is a feasible option.  I have come to the point of being so fed up with the meds ( aback pack full of them that I am never without), that I am ready to inquire about a maze and see if they could just make me completely pacer dependant and no longer needing all the medications.  For a long time, they were "afraid" if the tried._______... I was going to need a pacer.  Well, since I got the pacer in March, I am almost completely paced.  Not too much to "fear" anymore.  I miss not being on so much medications.  They all have side effects- most of them take down  a blood pressure (usually purposefully).  I am so often whooped from being too hypotensive.  I have reached the "I can't take much more" part of the process to be sure.  Thanks for all the discussion and encouragement folks.
I HAVE BEEN ON THIS MEDICINE OVER 10 YRS FOR A FIB..   WITH NO PROBLEMS   THE DOCTOR SAID UNLESS YOUR HEART IS BASICLY HEALTHY  THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEMS.....I HAVE NOT HAD ONE EPISODE IN 10 YRS.   GOOD LUCK  
THE DOSAGE IS 100MG   TWICE A DAY   (MODERATE AMOUNT)  
I went in for my check-up and the doctor said my EKG looked much better and that if I felt ok I could hold off on the pacemaker which is great for me! I am still having some side effects from the medicine but nothing that makes me want to stop taking it because it is working so well. I have started swelling though all over and asked the doctor about it. He did not think it was a side effect of the medicine and said we would check my heart function the next time he sees me. Just wondering if anyone else notices this on this medicine or if it could be something else going on. Also I have crazy fatigue some days, is that common? The doctor said that if it was the Flecainide I would feel fatigue all the time. Also I have a really hard time taking my second pill in the evenings. With four kids and my crazy life it is really hard to remember to take a pill at 6:30 every night. When I forget to take it in about an hour or so I start feeling awful then remember but then I feel bad the rest of the night usually. What does everyone else do to remember? The doctor said that raising my dosage might help the medicine stay in my system a little longer so I wouldn't feel bad but I really don't want to raise the dosage unless I have to. Any ideas?
I have been taking flecainide along with digoxin for six weeks or so.  I alaready had a slight essential tremor.  Now, on the flecainide, my tremor is so increased, I cannot tolerate it.  I have been weaning myself off of the flecainide- first my regular 25 mg twice a day, then once a day, then for the past week, 1/2 pill a day.  I will be going back to my cardiologist soon, but should I continue the digoxin without the flecainide and will the tremors eventually return to their previous levels?
I take Flecainide for afib with no side effects, it has been a godsend for me.
I started the Flec at 50mg twice daily at home and went back to my EP after 3 days for an EKG, which was fine. I go back in 3 months for another EKG. That seems to be my only complaint for taking the Flec is the monitoring every 3 to 6 months while on the Flec.
I also had many (1000's per day) of ectopic beats, now I rarely get any at all unless I stress about something and release a substantial amount of adrenaline into my system.
I just started on flecainide after a cardioversion (my first) and my heart seems fine
but I find periods at night where it is hard to draw much of a breath. Getting up helps
and a mild antihistamine helps. Is this serious?
I started taking Flecainide 50mg twice daily in July, along with Metoropol 25mg daily for Afib and BP.  I had a minor problem within the first two weeks ( a very slow heartbeat ).  My dose of Meteropol was reduced in half and I had no further problems.  I was very fearful of this drug at first, as there is a possibility that I have some minor blockage ( negative stress test ) and people with coronary artery blockage are advised not to take this drug.

The doctor had desired that I get a hearth catheterization to make sure, but without insurance it is too expensive.  He said, the stress test only showed minor blockage so continued me on the Flecainide.  I go for long strenuous bike rides or walks daily, with no problems.  I worried at first, but have had no serious side effects other than some occaisional dizziness ( none recently ).  The worst problem I have is like what underinformed said.  I have difficulty remembering to take the second pill.  I actually completely forgot one time, and did not suffer any serious problems.
I still fear this drug somewhat, but am getting more and more satisfied with it. I simply wish I could throw all my pills away!
I am with Kenny, I wish I could just throw all the pills away!! I am now post pacemaker and still having to take medication!! I am not on Flecainide but am taking 50 mg of Atenolol daily. I am just really wishing that I could be without medication!
i have had only two episodes of A-Fib, and my cardio doc put me on Flecainide. I don't like what I read about it and it makes me very tired. Before the two A-Fib attacks my normal heart rate was slow never above 60 per min. I am very worried that this drug is going to slow my heart rate down to much. Has anyone been given this drug after only two attacks and the second one was not as severe as the first and they were a couple of months apart.

kbk
I have taken flecainide for 6 years and have never had any problem or side effect at all from it.  I started at 50mg twice a day and am now taking 100mg twice a day.  I had originally been given atenolol after my first episode of A-fib 7 years ago which didn't do me much good and then during another episode of A-fib was given the flecainide which seemed to bring me back to normal rhythm.  I have been taking it ever since with only a few episodes of A-fib, none lasting more than a couple of hours although now I have been experiencing increased frequency of PACs.  As I said this medication, although I am not thrilled with having to take it every day, has never given me any type of problem whatsoever.
   I have been taking flecainide 100 twice daily for a month...first bout with afib.  I also take the metoprolol 100 twice daily.  I am 37 and never had anything wrong with me accept an occasional cavity.  One night about 3 months ago i awoke at about 2:00 A.M. with the afib.  Told my wife "HELP IM DYING" so she says lets go to the ER.  Heartrate 200 a min BP 180/110.  I really thaught i was dying.  Well to make a long story short i was givin metoprolol and refered to a cardiologist who in turn ordered stress test,cardioversion,and FLECAINIDE. At first i was a little scared but i took it anyway (started 1 day prior to cardioversion).  To be honest i did get a little dizzy, forgetfull,and felt like my reflexes were a little slow at first but after a week i never felt better.   I also felt so well that i forgot to take my meds a few times and this seemed to cause my heart to race a little before i remembered to take the medication.  So my only advice to someone who is prescribed flecainide is to try it but DONT MISS ANY DOSES and stay good and hydrated.  Give it at least 2 weeks and if it dosnt work have the doc wein ya off it.  I have read numerous posts about flecainide and very few where it didnt help the persons.  It is surely helping me.

GL TO ALL AFIBERS  
hello people!
I also take Flecainide 100mg twice a day, for 5monts!
before flecainide I tried Selo-zok(betablockers) 25 mg twice a day. It was really awful, i couldn't think, BP was running really low, bpm 30-40, fatigue, painful headache, nausea, vomitting, felt cold and dizzy. I tried selo-zok twice, then one day my headache was to bad to continue this treatment. then I simply just stop taking the pill, after some days with bad headache and really funny heartbeat I felt much better. for 2 weeks after the selo-zok-stop, my heart was peaceful. Then suddenly my heart starts to get PVC, Accelerated Idioventricular Rhythm(AIVR), a lot of non-sustained VT bpm 210, 15-20 episodes each day. VT last like 15 seconds. I wasn't afraid because I'm used to it(I was 14 yrs the first time I felt it, and now 21yrs and still in life), but it was really annoying, and again I was tired, couldn't sleep because of the arrhytmia. I hate the feeling of a heart beating in my throat, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

And then I tried Flecainide 100mg twice a day:) happiness:)
I also had heard some scary stories about this medication, but it's working for and thats all I need for the moment...need to finish my education, feel young and free.

Still, after a night with alcohol and party or a long day at work, or a busy day, my heart get the PVC and maybe a little VT, and bradycardia. This isn't dangerous?

Do anybody else got problems with flecainide and alcohol?
- I don't have any diagnoses yet, and my doctor dont know if my arrhytmia is benign or malignant.

But Flecainide really change my life! thanks!
I also take Flecainide 50mg twice daily, along with Metoropol 50mg twice daily for Afib. I am 23 years old and I developed Afib about 4 weeks after my open heart surgery to repair a congenital heart defect. Many medicines were tried with no luck, until Flecainide. My first doses were administed in the hospital with excellent success (the doctors saw a huge improvement the first day). I too, was scared about this medication, but I was assured that it was fine for patients who did not suffer from coronary artery disease. I have now been on these medications a little over 2 months and have not had any complictions. I recently had and ECG and all was well. Hope this helps!
I'm glad you girls are having good success with flecainide but just remember in all likelihood this drug will at some point turn pro-arrhythmic and start bringing on episodes.  It could be 6 months or it could be, as it was with me, a few years.  If you are active aerobically, it will hold your heart back.  To this yen, there is a yang.  Mine has come, I believe in the form of diastolic dysfunction.  None of these drugs are harmless.  Just know your bodies and keep on top of things. Good luck to you both.

Hi Linda,

and you're sure thats its the flecainide side effect?
I know that its important to know that this drugs may turn pro-arrhythmic.
But I can't sit and wait for it, and I don't think that everybody will get terrible side effects.  I need to be happy when it works.
I don't belive that I should take the same drugs year after year, its like using the same brand of shampoo...someday you get allergic(or the drug loosing the effect).

But thank for your advises, and for sharing your experience. I hope you have found medication that works for you.
And good luck to you too.

Ida
Hi again, well after a string of medications over the last 11 weeks after my ablation, guess what?  I was put on flecainide as a last effort before amiodorone.  It is working pretty well after only a week on it and I hope it stops my a-fib altogether.  I just want to finally be free of this horrible affliction.  I am not 100% sure about the connection with the diastolic dysfunction, but I was diagnosed with mild diastolic dysfunction a few yrs ago after being on the flecainide and not being able to bring my heart rate into the target range for aerobics.  Good luck to you and stay in touch.
    How old were you when diagnosed with Diastolic Dysfunction?  I am an ICU and have had thousands of PVCs a day for 3 years now.  Everything is normal on echo and stress test except mild diastolic dysfunction.  This is the reason I can't do high end aerobic exercise like I used to.  I feel it was cause by the PVCs and have considered flecainide.  I meet again with the EP on Monday.  I am leaning towards trying it since I have a hard time getting a relieable BP reading even if I take it myself because of all the PVCs.  I am only 37 and am well educated on cardiac function etc but always like to hear others opinions.  Thanks  
Hi again.
I hope you doing well?

I really hate to take my medication, especially a medication thats is so controversial.
I hate taking my medications when I still gets bradycardia, pvc, AIVR(also called slow vt), and I feel that sometimes my pvc's turning into short runs of VT, but I dont have days with 20 episodes of nsvt like I used to have, and thats nice.
I really wish that this will dissapear one day, or the docs finds the reason of why I get arrhythmia.

I just needed to tell someone about this. thanks.
Well, lo and behold....flecainide has kept me in NSR for almost 4 weeks straight.  But it was only after my EP upped my doseage to 400 mg a day!  That's a high dose, affecting my ECG  but no other side effects but I have had a little dizziness which may be associated with it.  I am not having any PVC's or PAC's of which I am very grateful.  The Dr wants me to start weaning off it the end of this month.  

Ida, how long have you been taking flecainide?  The day I went from 300 mg a day to 400mg, my HR went into NSR and my ectopic beats went away.  Maybe your dose needs to be adjusted?
wow! 400mg a day! thats a very high doseage!
Great that you only got one side effect.
But your going to wean it off? (im not sure if I understands the english)
weaning it of, that the same like stop taking the drug?

I've been taking flecainide for 7-8 months...
But I really don't understand why the docs gave me this, the only other medication I have tried is a betablocker, and flecainide is a very strong drug for a benign arrhythmia.
I'm just confused today.
Hello again! Just wanted to let you guys know that I had an appointment with my cardiologist about 3 weeks ago and was taken off of flecainide. So far, so good and I am still in Normal Sinus Rhythm. I go back in 3 months and if all is well - i get to begin weaning off of my beta blocker also - very excited! Hope everything is going well for the rest of you :)

I have been reading everyone's response to Flecainide. I have Wolf Parkinsen White Syndrome. Have had an ablation that did not work so now my EP has me on 300 mg's daily of this medication with which he had to increase it after more episodes. It does have alot of side effects and I feel quite a few of them. I am not working because excertion brings it on. In the past after ablation I have had to be flatlined due to my heart rate going to high, so working would definately give me more problem. I would appreciate more input with anyone with WPW. Thanks, Cheryl
I have to set an alarm clock to remember my second dose of flecainide at 7 pm. I have one set at my house and on my cell phone. I also make sure I have a dose with me. I am also having increased essential tremors and fatigue. I can hardly stand the tremors at times. I have both NSVT and atrial fib. I had an ablation for NSVT but it wasn't successful.
Hi there....well it's 3 months later....how are you doing?  Are you still in NSR?  I weaned off the flecainide finally completely a couple of weeks ago.  I am feeling pretty good.  Let us hear how you are doing....off the flecainide....and the beta blocker?
Hi Linda and all,

My reentry nonsustain VT returned and all the other arrhythmia got more frequent. I talked to the cardiologist about it, and he could see that flecainide had lost its effect on my heart. I asked if I could get a higher dosage of flecainide, but I'm slim and not very tall - so he wouldn't give me more flecainide.
My options is to try ablation again (tried it three times without any luck) or try a new medication. On wednesday Im starting the new medication, Rytmonorm, in the hospital. The cardiologist said that the medication is very similar to flecainide, so usually it doesn't have any effect if flecainide didn't work. But I'll try it because of my poor options.

I didn't need to wean it of, I just had to stop flecainide. I stopped flecainide 17 march, and to be honest; I don't feel any difference, only that I got more energy and the arrythmia is easier to provoke.

How are the rest of you doing?    
Hey everyone,

I'm a 25 year old male who has sometimes severe tachycardia, when I first went to the cardiologist, he put me on beta-blockers that had little to no improvement on my condition, then I went on Flecainide 1 pill twice a day (50 mg per dose I believe) and had no side affects. My condition seems to worsen the next day if I drink alcohol the previous night, but don't get out of control.

I have stayed on that medication for over a year, and went about 5 months with little or no episodes. About a month ago my symptoms came back and I just went to the doctor this week and he increased my dose to 2 pills twice a day.

A lady at work who has basically the same condition I have was prescribed the same medication. Her brother in law is a doctor, and told her as soon as he found out she was on the meds to stop taking them immediately. His brother in law dropped dead and luckily was revived by CPR due to side affects of this medication.

I am concerned that I am just now hearing about the risk of sudden heart failure and concerned about taking this medication and my cardiologist never telling me of the potential deadly side affects. I have read the majority of your posts and wanted to get your opinion on alternative meds that I may be willing to take. I also am concerned that alcohol may increase these chance of something wrong happening.

The only side affects I have experience were numbness of the mouth throat for about 45 mins to an hour.

Thanks for all the help
hi,

you will hear a lot about this drug. if you're really scared of dropping dead because of flecainide, maybe you'll need to try another one that isn't so controversial. It's not good if you feel that the drug works on your heart but in the same time you walking around and scared of dying...  A lot of people/doctors have their own opinion about flecainide. my own opinion is that its your body, your heart, your life. if your not comfortable you may need to find other options. talk with your doctor about this, maybe he can explain flecainide for you. it might calm you down or you'll hear about other possibilities.

I also have the same issues with alcohol. Drinking is the same like asking for arrhythmia, not the next day, but the day after. I got this with flecainide, also with rythmol (very similar to flecainide). But also without any drugs - it makes sense; alcohol is toxic. I think its easier to deal with arrhythmia after alcohol, because then I know why i get it, other days it doesn't make sense.

Good luck to you, hope you'll figure it out.    
I was diagnosed with a-fib this past june, after completing chemo tratment for the 4th time over a long period of time, had to have my port removed and it wasw determined the port was infected at the site, I waS VERY ILL FOR A NUMBER OF DAYS WITH HIGH FEVER ETC. WHILE IN THE hospital I was put on a very high dosage of a drug , can't remeber the name, starts with an M, 400mg 2times a day, when I got home I wa very ill and could not eat, the doctor changed it to Flecainde 50 mg. 2x a day, and in the a.m. baby aspirin.  I also have low energy, and get very cold and then very hot, which is making me crazy. anyone out there have the same side effects?
I felt so alone! I have PVC and skipped beats! So happy to see Im not the only one! I wish they could find the reasons for all this. I have a new symptom I feel dizzy I cant breath and it is hard to walk and it keeps me up at night Im on a beta blocker for two years and it stopped working.I go to the cardioligist next week for a eco stress test. He wants me to start me on Felecainide! scard. I also have Lupus! On lots of meds! Has anyone delt with any of this? God Bless you all!
Hello. My name is Jo. I am a 43 yr old female that has had PAF for 15 years now. Was on Flecainide pill in the pocket approach. Was clear for 5 years with just the odd flutter now and again when all of a sudden its back. 8 episodes in two weeks. Went to see cardiologist and had echocardiogram which revealed my heart to be normal. Have been put on Flecainide full time now 100mg twice daily. 6 months free with one two minute episode. Dizzy spells now and again but visual disturbances a lot. Constantly worried about this drug but it is working for me. My only problem is that i am taking a potentially life threatening drug for a non life threatening arrythmia. Going back to docs this week to discuss, but they are all for it.
Have you ever considered getting an ablation for the a-fib?  I was on flecainide and just about all the anti-arrhythmic drugs and they work but not long-term.  Flecainide can be a dangerous drug, especially if there are any other issues with your heart (anything structurally).  I had peripheral vision disturbances pretty bad.

Are you currently taking a blood-thinner?  I did have a PVI Ablation a year ago Sept and have not had a-fib for over a year now. It might be worth considering since you've been dealing with this for so long.

I am on Propafenone (Rythmol) an antiarrythmic.
I did not want to take it either. I was super scared to take it and told my Dr how fearful I was.
The first EP Dr I saw said it could kill me!  He said it was because he was not convinced my arrythmia was not  the life threatening kind.
The second opinion that I saw, a much older and more experienced Dr, EP wrote in all caps on piece of paper:
Anti-arrythmics
Young Age (41)
Low Dose
Healthy Heart
Will NOT hurt you!
I have been on them a month now and it is really helping.
I did not start them in the hospital.
Although, I do get pacs everyday.

Ablation scheduled 3-16-12

thankyou for your comments. My cardiologist said that he considers an ablation as quite a risky prodedure and would only recommend if treatment failed to work. He said that even an ablation can sometimes not work and in some cases actually make it worse. Not on blood thinners at present as again he did not think necessary. To be honest when i went 5 years clear i thought it was gone. Even went through labour and no problem at all. Although i suppose AF itself isn't dangerous other than obviously a clot problem, i suppose it would be quite debilitating should you be in all the time. I think what i need as much as anything is mental support but my GP seems very flippant about it, as i suppose most people who have not experienced it does. Glad its work for you, you must be soo happy. Are you on any meds now?
thankyou, thats what my cardiologist said too, healthy heart no problems taking it. When and if it stops working cross that bridge then. I have read a couple of aticles where people have been on it for over twenty years and no problems. Course the temptaion is to come off it and see what happens but i am scared of that also, its good to finally talk to people going throught the same, thankyou
The only med I am on for my heart, other than a statin, is a blood-thinner.  I haven't been having a-fib but I do get short bouts of tachycardia although les and less frequently.  I take 25mg ToprolXL and that cuts it down to just a few minutes, and I haven't had any episodes for a long time but my EP still won't take me off the blood-thinner.

I've said this on here before on another thread ....My Dr told me that muscle has memory, your heart is a muscle, therefore when it gets in the "habit" of going into a-fib or whatever arrhythmia, it automatically goes back to that abherent pathway.  If you can manage to stay out of it long enough the theory goes that it will learn to use the new or "right" pathway and you won't be bothered by the arrhythmia any more.  But I have to say that without the ablation and a lot of prayer on my part, I don't think I'd be doing anywhere near as well as I am doing today.
my 18 month old daughter has been on flecanide for six weeks along with propanol for prolonged svt attacks. I am terrified as the gp has just advised that it is unlicenced for children.
Does your little daughter wear a heart monitor at times?  I hope her Pediatric Electrophysiologist is staying on top of her condition, checking her liver enzymes and kidney function often.  Flecainide is a pretty strong drug, Rhythmol is a little less harsh.  Does she have to be on a blood-thinner like warfarin or coumadin?  I do know that if an adult has any structural issue with their heart, their Dr. can't put them on flecainide. How long do her attack last?  I assume she is on a constant monitor?
I have been on flecianide for 6 months for Afib. Has anyone had the constant throbbing of heartbeat in the ears? This is very annoying at times.
Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?  I never had that issue while I was on flecainide
I went to ER on 10/2012 , heart rate was 150. Discharged 2 days later, and doc put me on Diltiazem, which worked pretty well. I was able to go dancing,
some drinking. Then doc told me to have cardioversion for rhythm control.
Started me on Pradaxa for 30 days, then last 2 days before cardioversion,
taking flecainide 100mg twice a day.
On the day of cardioversion, my heart get back to sinus rhythm!
So no cardioversion for me.
But I can feel the palpitations and throbings which is uncomfortable.
So right now I am on Pradaxa, Diltiazem and flecainide 100mg/twice daily.
Heart is in SR. But I don't feel as good as when I was on rate control with only Diltiazem. When I use alcoholic mouthwash, I can feel the start of
throbing.

If long term rate control is OK, I'll ask the doc to let me go with rate control, since I don't have symptoms while on Diltiazem.
I wouldn't drink at all while on Pradaxa!  It can be a very dangerous, unpredictable drug.  Not enough is known about the possible consequences.  Flecainide can be dangerous too...if you have any structural issues with your heart.
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this discussion.
I have been taking 250mg fleccanide and 62.5mcg Digoxin daily for 7 years (since I was 26) now. I found this forum by searching for success stories of stopping Fleccanide.
At the time I was diagnosed with my arythmia, my blood test also showed I was very low in iron, potassium and magnesium. It was never mentioned to me that maybe that brought on my episodes, they just started medicating me with not much discussion.
Now that I have been taking my health more seriously and researching everything I'm told, I have found that low iron, potassium and magnesium can all contribute to arythmias. I'm wondering if I could wean off my meds, and have my blood levels checked for these nutrients...maybe all I needed in the first place was some good supplements and healthy eating? What do you think? I am going to make an appointment with my Dr and Cardiologist to see what they say, I'll let you know what they say in case anyone else is in the same situation.
I definitely think talk to your doctor before going off the meds.  Low potassium can contribute to arrythmias, hard to imagine why they didn't do more checking before putting you on high-powered meds.  Good luck, let us know how you are.
Has anyone ever had a burning sensation in the chest while taking flecainide? I take 100 mg twice a day since my ablation surgery. Just recently I started getting this burning sensation
I was on flecainide for 5 years.  I am a teacher and I now have oralmandibular dystonia which effects my speech.  My life has been changed forever.  I did not know that flecainide would do this to me.  Apparently there is damage to my basal ganglia caused by the flecainide was taking 100 mg of flecainide 2 times per day.  I  am so extremely depressed and upset.  I am currently searching for an attorney to sue Amneal the producer of this horrible drug.
Thats horrible. I usually pride myself on taking alternative supplements before any meds. Unfortunately, the supplements did little to keep me out of Afib. I am Paroxysmal and episodes have only occurred once or twice per year in the same months for the last 4 years. I m wondering now after your post, why my Cardio doctor put me on 100mg of Flec, twice a day? He assured me there was no risk or side effects and it was better than being cardioverted once a year. After reading yours and a few other negative posts, This will be shortened and will only use 300 mg of Flec as a way to get me out of Fib if I go into it.
Dont waste your time telling an MD about nutrition and health, they know less about it than a line cook at a fast food joint. If they are like the ones Ive dealt with, they will roll their eyes and shake their heads as they tell you these are only anecdotal fables with no positive results. Some supplements interfere with drugs, like Hawthorne root does with Flecainide, so you need to tell them everything  youre taking.  I still use Magnesium oil, (pill form is nearly impossible to take all that you need) and Potassium in hopes of someday ditching the drugs. Lets face it, drugs work most of the time for what they are intended for, unfortunately, they all seem to destroy another part of our bodies.