Heart Rhythm Community
flutter with a normal pulse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

flutter with a normal pulse

While I'm sleeping my heart rate begins to flutter in my throat, neck, stomach and chest.  I awake feeling very weak and scared.  I hurriedly get up, and get moving around, but it takes hours to pass.  I check my bp and heart rate immediately, and they are consistently normal.  I'm a smoker trying to quit.  Any comforting words while I'm going through this process?  
Tags: Heart
Hello...

Without capturing this on a monitor, it's impossible to know exactly what is going on. Your best bet is to schedule an appt. with your physician. He/she may suggest a referal to a cardiologist to further investigate your symptoms.

There are many people who experience "flutters" that are nothing more than ordinary Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC's) or Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC's)...both of which are not a threat to your life, In the setting of a structurally healthy and undiseased heart.

With both of those, it is known that smoking can exacerbate symptoms...so giving up smoking is a wise choice on your part. Other than smoking, do you have any other risk factors that would predispose you to heart disease?
Brooke... I'm 41 and I'm an alcoholic.  At 30 I got into IV drug use, which lead into a horrifying experience.  My body was shutting down when I went in the hospital with complications of bacterial endocarditis.  After 2 months in the hospital and open heart surgery, I was sober for 4 yrs.  No cigs, no drugs, no alcohol. I fell back into alcohol, heavy for the last three years.  I've almost erased it from my life, with the exception of "trying" every once in awhile (stupid).  Yesterday, for example, two sips of a mixed drink instantly made my body prickle/itch for hours, even still some today. (I've gone through this for a couple years now.)

Since my tricuspid valve was replaced/mitro repaired, I've had uneventful echos etc. on a regular basis, and have had one angiogram, due to suspected block, which turned out to be a shadow.  I receive medical care often; blood tests/x-rays/biopsies (for vaginal burning)/urinalysis/STD/EKG's etc.  All tests are continuously negative.

I take meds for emotional disorders, based on monthly visits to a psychiatrist and counselor. I also see a specialist for a life-long sleep disorder/narcolepsy.   Combined, there's been a lot of mix and match pill combinations over the years. I  have no idea what's helping or not. Some of them could be the reason I've had to go through some of these palpitation isuues (like seroquel.)  I'm working with my psych to taper out of any meds that may not be working in my favor.  I really don't think they know what to do with me, I know I sure don't.

In the meantime I keep waiting to feel good for one day, or to not feel good and not make myself sick worrying about it.

Monday, a halter is being delivered to me that I'll wear for 21 days.  As sick as I am, LITERALLY, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Brooke
Blood sugar, U/A's and thyroid test neg also.
Hello.

I know this phenomenon, it's really common (I have this sensation myself from time to time; a sensation of fluttering/extremely high heart rate when waking up, especially right after falling asleep, and your heart rate is in fact normal).

I'd say in 99% of the cases, the fluttering sensation (with normal heart rate) is not cardiac related, but caused by benign muscle tremor in chest and neck.

However, one condition, atrial flutter, should be ruled out. If you are really bothered with this, it's possibly a good idea to see a doctor and get a 24 hour EKG test done. I can see you are about to do this, that's good. You will get an answer.

It also appears you might need a full blood test, if it's not done lately, especially electrolytes.

It looks like you've been through some awful things, it's good you get some counceling. I really hope the Holter monitor will give you some peace of mind. When you have the conditions you describe, worrying about arrhythmias and heart problems can really affect your life quality.

Best wishes

I'm sorry to hear all that you have been through...One-day-at-a-time my friend! I know sometimes that is hard to do but keeping daily life as simple as possible is best.

I'm glad to hear that you have an event monitor in transit to you. These are the best devices to pick up irregularities that are often playing "hide and seek" when you're undergoing a quick EKG. I agree with is_something_wrong, the worrying will only make things worse...let's hope that the monitor gives you some sense of relief. Please keep us posted and feel free to message me with any concerns :)