Heart Rhythm Community
food and rapid heart rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

food and rapid heart rate

last night i was sitting in my recliner and all the sudden i had what seemed to be the beginning of tachycardia so i took a deep breath and it passed but then started again, i took another deep breath and it stopped. it was just a few rapid beats and i was wondering if it had something to do with the fact that i just had eaten supper and my stomach was over  full or if it was possibly what i had eaten which was spaghetti. i went to the er because then my left shoulder started to hurt and my chest felt tight and heavy. had a blood work up ekg and chest xray. i do have pvc's and pac's have seen two cardiologists and both say my heart is fine. all the work i had at the hospital was fine too. anyone elso have this trouble?
Hello...

I'm sorry to hear that your New Years Eve was spent in the ER:( I guess, it's wise that you went and had this evaluated and were told that you would be ok.

There a lots of people who experience tachycardia, skipped beats etc. after eating, more specifically a spicy meal. Do you have any underlying arrhythmia?
yeah i have trouble with pvc's and pac's
Are you taking any kind of medication to treat symptoms of these? or are you just trying to figure out what triggers an exacerbation and staying away from them?

Are you feeling better today?
am taking inderal and verapamil and they do help they are just sooooo daoggone scary thanks for asking and yes am feeling better today
I get the PVC'S/PAC's right after I eat or drink lots water, and if I am in a recliner chair in the reclining position, I will especially get them then. In fact, I just had 3 "flutters" just now, I am slumped in my chair, I just ate, and I feel bloated, this sets the stage just perfectly for those buggers, and they make their appearance. UGH!!
just had the same thing happen again and had to tell  myself all over again that when i was in the er nothing was found  everything was normal labs, ekg heart rate bp everything but i stlill had the well it almost felt like a double flutter this time it really scares the daylights out of a person and it did happen when i was slumped in the recliner
After 20 years of bouts of palpitations 95% of the time after eating (very scary) and a hospital stay 4 months ago in atrial fib and after all heart tests (stress test, echo, cardiac cath) no heart or artery problems found.  I am on a beta blocker which helps but
does not eliminate them.  After research I decided to eliminate the food additive MSG
from my diet.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE.  MSG is in all processed foods (maybe included
in foods under names other than MSG so be aware) I now eat only fresh meat, vegtables and fruit. Hope this helps, I know how frightening all of this is.

I have become more aware of what i'm eating and noticed that alot of carbs can be a factor too. i quit all caffeine and don't drink but am a trying to quit smoker. Logically i know that there is nothing wrong, i had this happen once and had all the tests int the er but emotionally it is really hard on person when it happens again. It seems that i just am able to adjust to having the pvc and pac thing when something different starts. I have seen two cardiologists and one of em even confessed he had a bout of pvc's and it scared the heck out of him. I guess i gotta learn how to deal and i have to say this forum is such a comfort. It really helps to know you are not alone. Thank you all