Heart Rhythm Community
frequent ventricular ectopics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

frequent ventricular ectopics

I've started with frequent ventricular ectopics three months ago and have been investigated to rule out ARVD: ECG showing the ectopics, 24hs ECg with more than 5000 ectopics, echocardiogram normal. However the MRI scan shows some minor abnormality on the function of the left ventricule, apparently pumping slightly less than what it should be for my age (44 y.o.). The structure of the right ventricule is normal and the doctor said there is no ARVD. However I must repeat the echocadiogram and MRI in a year's time and avoid exercise above 170 beats per mnute.

I am very much relieved to know there is no ARVD but I am concerned about these minor abnormalities and my capacity to exercise freely. Blood tests have been normal.  

Could this be the beginning of a heart problem? Or could it be linked to the frequent ectopics?

Many thanks!

Leo
You and me are in similar boats.  I have yet to have an MRI (will get one next week) but my echo shows a 'sluggish' right side of my heart, and I am having episodes of ventricular tachycardia.  Weird thing is that all the ventricles and valves are really efficient, and the left side is perfect.  

I'm wondering the same thing as you - is this right side stuff the beginning of heart disease?  Or is it just a weird anomoly that I was born with?  I feel fine, except for the arrhythmias, and even the arrhythmias don't cause any physical discomfort - just lots of worry and anxiety.

I, too, have been told to avoid any exercise until we can figure out what is going on.  That really *****, I am usually active and just turned 34 years old.  

So, they aren't going to do any further investigaton for you?  Did they give you any medication for the arrhythmia?  Did your ECG turn out 'normal'?  Mine is normal but  normal/high QT inverval.

What's even more strange about my situation is that I was tested at a local University hospital quite thoroughly - echo, EKG, 30 day event monitor just last month.  The event monitor showed nonsustained VT and some PVCs, the echo was totally normal, EKG normal, too.  
I got a second opinion on Friday at the Mayo Clinic on Friday, and now I've got an abnormal echo, close to abnormal EKG.  ???  Mayo has been much more thorough in their testing, but I'm amazed at how different their findings are.  

I don't have any answers for you, but maybe it makes sense for you to get a second opinion too?   Keep me posted if you learn anything more.
Hi and thanks!

I understand the MRI is the gold standard for conditions such as ARVD or other structural abnormalities which could lead to arrhytmias. Apparently my MRI is kind of normal on the structure but it's the function that doesn't seem ok.

What is scary is that your first echo was normal, I guess it is all to do with expertise, and  that second opinions should be sought on serious conditions! Your MRI should provide an answer. Good luck!

In my case, I think I cannot hold on for a year to get another MRI/echo. I cannot exercise with confidence, not even play with my little daughter as I used to due to being scared of some nasty arrhytmia. I am about to buy a heart rate monitor to ride my bike!!

I'll let you know when I get my second opinion.

Leo
Yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't want to just sit and wait.  I mean, you are probably fine, but doctors really underestimate the power of peace of mind.  I'm having a hard time waiting until next week to get my MRI and find out what is up.  And I do feel like I'm always bracing myself for another arrhythmic episode.  Bah.  

It is scary how different the two opinions are!   I trust Mayo, though, they are the gold standard for health care.  People come from all over the world to be seen there, so, as much as I'd like to believe the doctors that said everything looks good, I'm going with Mayo on this one.  

Everytime I talk about Mayo I feel like I'm talking about mayonnaise.  hahaha.  :-/

Yes, keep me updated on your situation and I wish you the best of luck (and peace of mind!).