Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
heart ablation x2

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

heart ablation x2

During the summer of 2007 after countless years of heart problems (palpitations) my doctor suggested an ablation procedure. My Palpitations were triggered by exercise. During my Ablation the doctor couldn't find the current to burn, after countless attempts, he perpetrated my heart also - finally after 5 hours on the bed he found the circuit, at this time my heart was going at 160 BPM, and my blood pressure fell a number of times. He tried to burn, and I must say the pain of the burning really did take my breath away, it was very sore. My heart continued to beat dangerously fast, so the doctor used that electric shock unit on my chest 3 times, trying to shock the heart to beat more slowly, as a result of this, my chest was burnt. After an hour trying to burn, the doctor advised me that he could burn the 'good tissue' resulting in me having a pace-maker, I didn't want to continue, so during the 7th hour is stopped the operation. It took me quite a while to recover, and I still have nightmares about that day.

After the operation, I still continue to have bad spells of palpitations, my last spell went on for 3 hours, and I felt very dizzy, however I never passed out. I went to my surgeon yesterday, and he advised me to have another ablation, and there was a 20% risk I could end with a pacemaker. I felt it hard to decide what to do - as my last procedure was such a bad experience. He said there was a risk, however he advised me to have it done. Therefore I've put myself on the waiting list which currently stands at 4 months. Really quite scared, and frightened.

Advice would be welcome,

Cheers,

Roy
I am not really sure what advise to give.  The decision to proceed with an ablation is a personal one and should take into account the risks and benefits.  If you are unsure if you want to proceed, consider a second opinion.  They must not have been able to induce the arrythmia while you were sedated.  My patients usually don't remember the procedure but there are rare cases that sedation prevents the  arrhythmia from sustaining and allowing it to be mapped.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. They did sedate me, however I remember vivid parts of the procedure. I was on aspirin for about two weeks after. The other option was to be placed on medication, however I thought that this was something that shouldn't be taken into account, as my heart rhythm only palpitates on rare occasions, meaning I would be taking medication for no reason. Its hard to see the benefits when you have such a bad experience before hand.

If the thought of an ablation scares, why not try the medication during the 4 month period you wait.  if it works, cancel the ablation.
A related discussion, ICD removals was started.