Heart Rhythm Community
heart failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

heart failure

Could anyone solve a puzzle for me? Some years back, after some strength training exercises, I came down with many symptoms of heart failure like shortness of breath, fatigue, and an elavated bilirubin level. However, the earlier skipping heart beats which I had been experiencing, had vanished. After stopping strength training and starting  40 minute walks, the heart failure symptoms disappeared, but instead I started getting NSVT episodes.
My question is: why this odd disassociation between heart failure and NSVT when there ought to be a corelation? Also, which is more unsafe- heart failure symptoms without NSVT or NSVT without heart failure symptoms?
Thanks,
Malan
Hi i read your post.....i think that if this has not been diagnosed by a heart doc that you may be taking this to an extreme here.  CHF on congestive heart failure is pretty defined and is progressive and if you are able to 40 minute walks and not have the typical symtoms (symptoms) which is swelling of the lower extremites, coughing, shortness of breath i would seriously rule this out again unless a battery of tests have been done of you and it is confirmed.  Your question as to which is more unsafe w. NSVT with or without failure is a little puzzling to me here......NSVT and CHF are two totally different issues and the reason that you are not seeing a corelation is because there really isn't one.  Taching out with NSVT is not one of the symtoms (symptoms) of CHF and is usually electical based and even sometimes structurally based where heart failure falls under an entirely different umbrella here.....first off i would not assume that you have heart failure because you are obviously in good physical shape by working out as you say you have been and continue to do so at some level...my advice to you would be to get a professional opinion with a good heart doc and make an educated decision based upon their diagnosis .....for all of us it is not a good idea to self diagnose and can actually hurt us physically as well as emotionally....good luck my friend....
Thnx very much for the post. My cardio tests show NSVT with a normal heart, but  the tests were done atleast a few months after stopping weights- so they don't show the state of the heart at the time of doing weights. The symptoms of heart failure, like shortness of breath, a heavy feeling, high bilirubin levels, etc, were clearly related to weights, since they disappeared on stopping weights. The NSVT also appeared for the first time after the start of the heart failure symptoms, and then stopping weights. That is why I made the connection between weights, heart failure and NSVT.
Anyway, as you say, I should try to relax and go by the test results, but there is a nagging feeling that the tests may have missed something important!
Thnx again and hoping that you are doing ok.
Elevated BUN can be all sorts of things.
If you're prone to ventricular ectopics, NSVT isn't far behind.

Did you confirm HF with a cardiologist?  What was the cause of the HF?

Was NSVT confirmed on an EKG or (portable or otherwise)?

Thnx for the post. HF was not confirmed by the cardio. However, it could be because I saw the cardio only a few months after stopping weights, and SOB had disappeared by then. NSVT was confirmed on holter. However, the cardio could not give me a cause for it and did not take my suggestion of connection with weights seriously.
Thnx again and I hope you are doing ok