Heart Rhythm Community
heart feels like it stopped at mid-beat

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

heart feels like it stopped at mid-beat

i have anxiety and all the general heart palpitation issues none stop for 3 weeks now , i know the regular skipped beat feeling and i am trying to ignore it as people say its mostly out of stress and harmless , but lately and for the past 3-4 days i've been feeling really " Odd " heart beats , they feel as if the heart stopped in the middle of performing a beat , as if the beat itself was interrupted and died over without completing its cardiac cycle , this is freaking me out the most because there is a hint of feeling that there is no guaranty that the next beat would come , its more like a hiccup in the heart with no relieve sensation afterwards and sometimes it feels as if the second part of the beat is a long spasm ,it doesn't happen too often but it does during the day  , is this a common thing and i am just imagining things due to my anxiety ? and please note again this could happens when am Completely relaxed and have no worries at all ! any help or opinion would greatly be useful , Thanks .
I don't think anyone can say for certain what you are feeling and if it is a concern or not. without seeing exactly what it is that is happening.  It sounds like you are familar with what ectopic beats feel like, pacs pvcs?  If so and this feels different then I might revisit the doctor to try and catch what it is to see if further treatment is necessary.  I do emphasize though to try and remain calm after one happens as you know any stress or anxiety will make the situation worse.  If you are not passing out or having trouble functioning you are still in pretty good shape.  So just grab onto that when you feel the odd beats.  But there is no harm in going to see the doctor when new symptoms arise especially if they feel concerning to you.  They may not be a concern but a doctor really needs to make that evaluation.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Hello Michelle , thank you for giving me your attention ! no i don't feel like fainting exactly when it happens ,but i do actually sometimes feel like fainting for a very brief moment along with dizziness and loss of concentration , the only way i am familiar with pacs pvcs is from reading about them and comparing that to my pause/extra beats that i often feel , when i first went to ER 2 months ago the short heart mapping showed no problems but i had palpitations and heart rhythm issues ,anyway they gave me a clinic appointment after 2 ER visits and they set it 14th october which was alot of waiting and still is , i am trying to reach that day without worrying much but even when am relaxed and my pulse is about 60 bpm i feel that my heart is beating very heavy like its tired and its even shaking my whole body sometimes and what is worse is the mid of a beat jolts it does sometimes as i described before, i just wanted to see if people have those too and its normal , the whole idea is that i don't want my heart to turn off while am waiting for that appointment ! i know it might be just me being paranoid but the physical symptoms make it look very real and in the end its the " Heart " not the kidney or eye or any other organ , heart problems are too scary for me .
I know.  I have had my fair share of heart issues and it is very scary.  You need your heart to live so when it goes even a bit awry it can be hard to trust it can keep working even if it isn't working completely properly.  I would definitely get the pauses checked out.  It could just be stronger pvcs or patterns of them.  Mine don't feel all the same but considering you have a sensation that it feels like it stops it is good you are going to get it checked out.  Hopefully they will give you a 30day monitor so you can catch what is going on since they are transient and unless you are hooked up at the exact moment it happens you will not get it documented.  Well I am glad to hear you have an appointment.  Please do keep us posted on how it went.  And just try to trust until then that your heart will keep on pumping.  It really can pump on and on even in very odd ways.  Take care and good luck with the doctor.
thank you it means alot to me someone actually cares about my condition , i managed to keep my stress levels low and felt better so i went to sleep then i just woke up after 2 hours the feeling i woke up to is quite interesting ! it felt ( no actually i could hear it because my ear was pressed to the pillow ) i could hear a constant current running its like electrical current buzzing , it buzz constantly for about 5-8 seconds and then it cuts off suddenly for a very short moment ( half a second maybe ) and proceeds again , and its Exactly when it cuts the strong heart beat happens , it feels as if my heart tripped on it ! i don't know if its within the hearts pace maker or something else is interrupting my heart current flow Or Even maybe an imaginary current in my head but when it happens i feel it takes my breath away something similar to the gasp when you push  a glass cup off the table by mistake and realize it will fall and break , this is why its bothering me so much ! the effect is less when i am awake and doing something but its definitely there ! and i started feeling a discomfort in my spine on the heart level , i know this is weird to hear and sounds crazy but thats actually whats happening , i have no clue how the heck am i going to explain this to the doctors : (
just an update for all who might have had similar situation and now reading this and wonder what happened , well first of all i am alive :D , i went to a doctor before my appointment because i felt bad again and he prescribed me 10 mg propranolol once a day which is appeared to be a beta blocker when i googled it , and is used to treat heart palpitations panic attacks stress and depression , the dose is small but effective for me  ! it helped reduce the awareness of heart beats worry and heart arrhythmia in general , he also ordered a full blood test including thyroid TSH which came back also normal , and i still went to the appointment at 14th  to make sure am ok , the doctor wasn't pleased when i told him i have chest tightness and pains because i am still 28 and too young for heart problems he ordered a short ECG which turned fine and nevertheless he gave me 2 appointments one is for a heart echocardiogram and the other is for a 24 hour  holter monitor , i feel better these days and the palpitations are much less than it use to be and am starting to believe its really just stress , a tip for whoever has anxiety problems , when you think you feel bad try to separate the " fear " sensation from the actual physical well being and see if you're not fainting or can't even stand on your feet or having a sharp killing pain then its probably just your anxiety / panic attack poisoning your life again : ( , checking with doctors and ruling out diseases is ok but don't panic and feel like you will die today , because the human body is not that weak and it can live even with serious illnesses which would show on ECGs and other simple tests for Long time , and also if you're like me then stop checking your pulse so often , i will do the echo and holter monitor and if nothing is wrong as doctors say i won't be updating anymore , good luck to everyone .