Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
heart murmur + chest pain

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

heart murmur + chest pain

Hi, I'm a 23 year old female, and I've been experiencing chest pain lately. It's an aching pain, mostly in the center of my chest, and my breathing has felt a little labored. When I touch my chest, it hurts. I've also felt a little dizzy and sluggish.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he said I have a heart murmur. My chest x-ray was normal, but the EKG had some abnormalities (which the doctor said shouldn't worry me). He's referred me to have an echocardiogram done. He kept stressing that I was probably fine, that he personally isn't worried, and that I shouldn't worry, etc..

My heart rate was 110 BPM, and I had a slight fever. I should also mention that I suffer from anxiety, and have my entire life, and I've been to the doctor for chest pain several times. Even the ER once. I often experience palpitations, and have since I was little. A few months ago, I had a strange, squeezing pain in my heart, but it went away after a few days. The doctors have always said my pain was anxiety or heart burn or muscle strain. They have never mentioned a heart murmur before, and my chest pain has never been this bad before, either.

Another thing I should mention....my mother died three weeks ago of lung cancer, and it's been a very difficult time for me. I haven't been feeling well in general, and I recognize that my grief is probably to blame, in many aspects.

Basically, I want to know what the possibility is of something being seriously wrong. I know that heart murmurs are usually harmless, but based on my ongoing experiences with chest pain, and how bad it's gotten lately, I am worried. Can't help it. Also, heart problems run in my family, on both sides. So, any insight into what might possibly be wrong with me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I can't really re assure you that nothing is wrong without hearing the murmur and seeing the echo.  If your chest hurts when you press on it and it feels the same with pressure and when it hurts on its own, this is non cardiac chest pain.  the odds of someone your age having cardiac chest pain versus anxiety related chest pain is about 1:1000 (I made this number up -- I am just highlighting that it is incredibly rare.  If I heard a similar history in clinic, I would think it was anxiety.

I am very sorry to hear about your mother -- that alone is probably enough to cause anxiety related chest pain.  

At this point just have the tests your doctor recommends and try to stay relaxed.  I am sorry for your loss.