Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
heart murmur + chest pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

heart murmur + chest pain

Hi, I'm a 23 year old female, and I've been experiencing chest pain lately. It's an aching pain, mostly in the center of my chest, and my breathing has felt a little labored. When I touch my chest, it hurts. I've also felt a little dizzy and sluggish.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he said I have a heart murmur. My chest x-ray was normal, but the EKG had some abnormalities (which the doctor said shouldn't worry me). He's referred me to have an echocardiogram done. He kept stressing that I was probably fine, that he personally isn't worried, and that I shouldn't worry, etc..

My heart rate was 110 BPM, and I had a slight fever. I should also mention that I suffer from anxiety, and have my entire life, and I've been to the doctor for chest pain several times. Even the ER once. I often experience palpitations, and have since I was little. A few months ago, I had a strange, squeezing pain in my heart, but it went away after a few days. The doctors have always said my pain was anxiety or heart burn or muscle strain. They have never mentioned a heart murmur before, and my chest pain has never been this bad before, either.

Another thing I should mention....my mother died three weeks ago of lung cancer, and it's been a very difficult time for me. I haven't been feeling well in general, and I recognize that my grief is probably to blame, in many aspects.

Basically, I want to know what the possibility is of something being seriously wrong. I know that heart murmurs are usually harmless, but based on my ongoing experiences with chest pain, and how bad it's gotten lately, I am worried. Can't help it. Also, heart problems run in my family, on both sides. So, any insight into what might possibly be wrong with me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!