Heart Rhythm Community
heart palpitaions

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

heart palpitaions

Hello im 25 yrs old i started getting these palpitations when i was 20yrs old. i use to get them bad it feels like my heart skips and stops for a second and at the same time catch my breath and scares me so bad im affraid i wont wake up in the morning. I have not been getting them as often as i use to because i started seeing a therapist. I had an echo, lots of ekgs, and a 24hr holter moniter. They all came back normal but when i had the holter moniter on i didnt have any palpitaions so i asked them if i could wear it longer they said they would look at my transcripts and let me know. They said my trans were noraml so they wouldnt let me waear it longer. So it still bothers me thinking theres something wrong and that my heart is going to stop beating one day. Do you think i should go back to the cardiologist and try to get another one? or do you think im worring to much about it cause these palpitions have had me in and out of hospitals for years with no diagnois.

This discussion is related to palpitations and normal results.
Hello...

Well, the good news is that all your testing, mainly the Echo, has revealed that your heart is pretty healthy. SInce you didn't experience any of these "skipped" beats during the time that you wore the holter, it can be said with all certainlty what they are.

The most likely cause is that of a premature beat coming from with the Atria (PAC) or the Ventricle (PVC). For those that have isolated symptoms, an event monitor is the best diagnostic tool to catch them. These are typically worn for 21-30 days. I wouldn't worry about your heart "stopping" from these.:)

Hope that you're able to get to the bottom of this and put the fear from them behind you!
As like yourself I experience a feeling of skipped beats during the day.  I had an echo, stress test and 24hr as well as 7 day holter monitor testing.  My 24hr monitor was normal buy my 7 day holter monitor showed that I get ectopic beats and if these last long enough it causes my heart to go into an irregular rhythm which in turn makes my blood pressure drop low very quick sometimes I feel lightheaded and other times I have actually lost conciousness.  I was told that my echo was reasonably normal.  I have been told that these don't require treatment and they are not life threatening it is just inconvenient.  If I do lose conciousness I have been told that to be on the safe side to be re-referred back and they will consider putting an implantable loop recorder in which can monitor you for quite a while as it is inserted under your skin.  My cardiologist said unless they catch exactly what you experience there is no way they can treat you for it.  He said when your symptoms are there try to get to your nearest doctor for them to do a tracing of your heart and then they go from there.

Hope you are able to sort this problem out.
Thank you both.. That gives me some comfort...Im not sure what PVC's are though. When i do get these they only last for a second so i dont think i could make it to the doctor in time to catch them. I have never passed out from them. When i was talking to my doctor she said some people pass out and never wake up. Im not sure if i have what she was talking about because she said i wasnt showing any red flags. i would like to go back to the doctor and ask them about the 21 to 30 day holter moniter. I dont have insurance any more so i dont know what to do. I would just like to know what it is so i can treat it if its treatable or know that it is not life threatening and move on with my life. This is such an inconvenience in my life. I also suffer from panic attacks and thats what the doctors are saying the heart beats are from. Anxiety and stress cause they cant find anything wrong with my heart but i think i get panic attacks because of the palpitations because i get so scared when i get one. I think its the other way around not panic attack and then heart beat. its heartbeat and then pannic attack...Im not sure if that makes since to you. Everyone tells me to stop worrying about my heart that its just anxiety but im not so sure about that. My fiance says its all in my head. What do you think i should do?
I also wanted to say what do you think about the stress test. Should that be something for me to consider doing?