Heart Rhythm Community
heart pause when straining

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

heart pause when straining

hey all, i have been having an irregular heart beat for probably a little over  a year now, and i have been to serveral cardiologists all of which have told me i was completely healthy and was diagnosed as havaing (mitral valve prolapse syndrome) i get heart skips all the time and my heart pauses a lot

i have been noticing that my heart pauses a lot while straining and the other day i was on the toilet trying to move a Bowel movement and i was pushing harder than usual and i fealt my heartrate start to rapidly increase and all of the sudden got a splitting headache and then my heart abruptly stopped for what fealt like 3 seconds then started beating again.. i was so scared i almost went to the hospital. do you guys think i should notify my doctor about this?
Blake I think you should if for no other reason than peace of mind. I too have some heart flutters and such with straining such as with bm's. I was diagnosed yrs ago with pvcs. I have had lots of tests...ekgs. echos. Halter monitors and am always told its pretty normal. Dony worry. But I do. Just see ur doc so you won't have to worry about it.
Best wishes and keep us posted about what you find out.
I understand that pvc's are common with  mitral prolapse, is this correct? I agree with sammi. Clear it with your doc, and consider yourself fortunate...

Sorry though,  I know the fear and anxiety that these things create and feel for you.
My pvcs are due to tachycardia but some can be from prolapsed or leaky heart valves. Some people just are lucky enough to have pvcs for no apparent rason. They are scary but usually benign and from what I'm learning they are extremely common. As is leaky heart valves
When you strain, you are inadvertently doing something called a Valsalva maneuver.  This abruptly raises the pressure within your body and quite often it is met with a cardiac response; a brief pause, PVC, or other benign arrhythmia.  It is often used to convert SVT to normal rhythm, and I used it successfully for 54 years to convert mine.  A forced cough is another way to cause these events to occur, again having the same effect on the body.