Heart Rhythm Community
heart rate increase when standing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

heart rate increase when standing

hello
my heart rate laying down is about 60 to 70, when really relaxed can be below 60. when I am upright or stiing my rate is faster like 70's 80;s, it is always flucuating all around, is that normal too? when I stand and do normal things my rate goes above 100 up to 120 by just walking around or cleaning or doing normal daily stuff. I do worry alot, and wondering if anxeity is causeing this or something else. I was told i have psvt and had an ablation a few years back. Mabe I am just noticeing it more, but what is normal heart range for daily normal things? any one else like this? im n my mid 20's and was told in good heath.

Your heart rate from lying down to sitting is normal.  It is normal to increase by 10 bpm from laying to sitting.  

However, if your heartrate is going up by over 30 beats per minute between laying down numbers and standing (if you've been standing at least 2-3 minutes already and your pulse is like what you are saying), you probably have a form of dysautonomia called postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) and should ask your electrophyiologist who did your ablation for your paroxysmal supraventicular tachycardia not only to find out if you are still having that issue and the ablation didn't take care of it, but to see if he/she would do a tilt table test on you to confirm if you have POTS or not.

Dysautonomia is a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system.  POTS happens when your heart races when you are standing to prevent you from passing out.  I have POTS and my heart can easily race from just standing, doing normal things around the house or walking.   Their is a forum with a number of active members on medhelp for people with dysautonomia and I encourage you to join that community I'm a part of so you can get input and support there!

You might also check and see if your blood pressure is dropping when you stand for at least two minutes after you have been lying down for about 10 minutes with orthostatic blood pressure readings, because if you have orthostatic hypotension, that can cause a similar problem, I believe to POTS.   They often will try to hydrate you if you have orthostatic hypotension or they may ask you what medications you are taking because some cause that.
A normal heart rate is between 70 and 120 so you are well within normal limits.  Some pro athletes have a resting heart rate in the 30's .  I really wouldn;t be too worried about what your pulse is and if you were given a clean bill of health i definately would take that one to the bank. I know all of us get worried in matters of the heart but in light of the fact that you had an ablation like alot of us did and your pulse rate is where it is i would say that you definately are one of the success stories here.  You have to think about yourself in a physical manner...when we lay down we are relaxed and the blood flows thru our valves and into our bodies in a kick back kind of manner and when you stand the whole picture changes and the heart actually works a little harder because of our positioning.  I seriously wouldn;'t worry about it unless you are having the same symtoms (symptoms) that you had before the ablation or similar....you sound pretty darn healthy to me and i'll trade w. you anytime.....
if your heart rate gets to 185 standing like mine did before ivabradine(meds) then I'd start talking to a Dr but your heart rate is not really changing that much
I cannot stress enough that this is COMPLETELY NORMAL.

Your heart rate is supposed to vary with increasing activity. Just standing up requires quite some muscular force, you're lifting some pounds up (I don't know your weight, but you understand me). It's your heart rate in the morning, while still in bed, that is your resting heart rate. Everything else is not. Sitting lifts your head higher and it's required to increase your heart rate and blood pressure to get enough blood to your brain.

Resting heart rate of 60 is excellent. 70-80s while sitting is completely normal. Getting your heart rate up against 90s-100s when standing up and doing easy exercise as walking or cleaning is as normal as it can be.

In addition, worrying about your heart rate will drive your heart rate up. I'm surprised it's not higher.
Normal heart rate for an adult is 60-100 beats per minute while resting (you can verify this online).  You should expect an increase up to about 10 beats per minute from lying to sitting as being normal.  And an additional 10 beats per minute increase after standing 2 to 3 minutes is also normal.  Your heart rate naturally goes higher when you are not just standing, but are engaged in activity. Getting a simple treadmill test would tell you if your heartrate is increasing normally for your age category with walking, as well as give the doctors information as to whether the ablation has worked for your PSVT.

It is true that anxiety can increase your heart rate- but unless you are only getting anxious when you are standing up and doing light activity, you should also notice increases in heart rate over your normal resting heart rate while laying or sitting as well when anxious.  Your heart rate even at 120 is definitely not dangerous, but if you are experiencing additional symptoms, such as shortness of breath with just walking in the house or  light activity versus an active workout, light headedness with standing, or even greying or whiting out of vison, you may want to pursue with your doctor looking into if you have orthostatic intolerance.  
Normal heart-rate in a healthy adult is 60 bpm to 100 bpm. It is normal to experience tachycardia when working out, as well, or when highly anxious, ie. panic attacks. The heart-rate should only increase 5-15 bpm from supine (laying) position to standing up.