Heart Rhythm Community
hrart races after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

hrart races after eating

My wife complains that after she eats her heart races. She said it doesn't matter what she eats and has mentioned
this to her Cardiologist and Internist and they look at her like she's crazy. Any Ideas would be appriciated.
Has she ever checked the rate? My heart will act up if I eat too quickly. And if I eat certain things (like chocolate, alcohol or salty food) my heart will kick into a higher rate about an hour after eating and will stay there for a couple of hours. But it's generally only 90 - 120, not super fast, just distracting.
She said it's gone up to 101! my wife eats slow and doesn't use sodium or drink  alcohol
she said it happens even after eating cheerios cereal
I have been seeing a cardiologist recently and that was one of my complaints.  I've actually been reluctant to eat lately because it's so bad.  Mine seem to be triggered by carbohydrates and the worst episodes I've had have been after eating cereal or cookies, LOL.  When I eat high protein meals, it's not nearly so bad.  My cardio was unphased - simply saying, "then don't eat carbohydrates."  

Mine, like your wife's, start up within an hour of eating, and my heart feels like it's not only beating more quickly than normal (95-100bpm), but more forcefully.  I also get more palps while it's doing this and the higher rate can last for up to 4 hours depending on what I've eaten.  It's really quite annoying.  I will also get it if I eat too early in the morning, so I hold off anything at all until about 1pm.
your heart speeding up after food is normal!,,,read up on it!....
I get similar symptoms after eating, doesn't matter what I eat. My heart doesn't race, but it does beat a little faster but the beating is heavier and I can feel it throughout my body. One cardiologist told me heavy beating isn't a bad thing. But I agree, it's annoying. My current cardio shook her head and said she hadn't heard that one before.  I don't have hbp and have had my heart checked--stress test, etc and all checks out good.
It's a completely normal phenomenon.

I get this after eating sugar or fat, especially combined - chocolate is really bad. My heart rate increases from normal 60-70 BPM to 80-90. Before I started using a small dosage of beta blockers, it often went above 100.

The heart beats somewhat harder. But I measured my blood pressure after a meal, and it wasn't significantly higher, 125/75 or so. A bit strange.
this is completely normal for everyone, try not pay too much attention to it or it will make you think something is wrong, and it can make your heart rate higher by worrying,i get this in the morning especially after breaky, its normal but a pain, my thumps harder and and faster
It's natures way of getting more blood to the digestive system to aid digestion.  Yes, digestion takes some work to absorb, push the food through, create enzymes and push those out, etc...This can be observed in everyone to some degree.

It does this for other body functions like breathing, it's called sinus arrhythmia, when you take a breath the heart speeds up a bit.  When you exhale it slows down a bit.  You can feel it by taking your pulse on your neck.  Also, your heart will speed up when you swallow.
This is just a general one, but I am a 38 yr male and have been in the military and martial arts for many many years. about six years ago I had a problem with my heart rate jumping from normal to a rapid (115-125) in a matter of min. I take xanax and paxil for anxiety but think I just may have a super sensitivity to my body. not saying I don't have issues with anxiety just think my triggers are related to general body stuff. I have noticed that I get a rapid HR after eating certain foods, mostly chinese foods. my life does have a lot of stress and my job is a big part of that. I am very very surprised to see how many people feel the same way. I want to thank all of you for sharing this because it makes me feel better to know that I am not alone havinf the same issues.
My doctor says the Vagus nerve which lies close to the heart, can cause rhythm trouble after eating.  I take a proton pump inhibitor (Prevacid) for reflux, and if I skip it, I have more arrhythmias.  You can get it over the counter.  Your wife might want to give it a try.
Do you guys have anaemia?
I have anaemia, and after lunch(normally the typical chinese rice n veg/meat), my heart palpitates and i feel real tired.
I dun know the reason, but i suspect bcos i'm already anaemic, after eating, the digestion process begins and the body starts working, so sounds like exercise to me. Therefore, is only natural the heart beats faster.
On the other hand, if you are not anaemic, i guess you wont feel it so much, cos anemic ppl have faster heart rates than normal.  
Hi Ireneo,

u said ur heart beats 90-120 and u dont consider it fast?
3 weeks ago, almost called the ambulance cos i thought what was panic attack felt like heart attack, suddenly my heart raced to 120, i broke out in sweats though i was vacationing in a country during winter, and thought i was going to just pass out. Then abt less than 3 minutes, the feeling went off, and the heart rate dropped, and  afew hours later, dropped to 92.
I was v anaemic at that time.
I'll almost quarantee you if you start taking mg ( the right kind and right amounts of mg) that it will solve your anxiety , it will help your skipped beats and lower your heart rate
If I eat foods high in carbs, especially in the morning,myheart pounds harder, not necessarily faster, just harder. A breakfast with pancakes, syrup, hashbrowns etc. really gets it pounding and it is annoying. I feel sluggish and have very little energy.It feels like my heart is working really hard to take care of all the extra carbs I don't need. Thank you itood for explaining the physiology of that. A meal higher in protein with fewer carbs leaves me feeling energized for the day and my heart funcitons better all day as long as I'm careful to stay away from foods that trigger PACs. For me, when this happens it's just the bodies way of saying it's on overload.
I just experienced a rapid heart rate about 10 mins after eating 2 pieces of greasy pizza.  My resting hear rate is around 65 and it jumped to 130 and lasted for about an hour and it was pounding.  Very ANNOYING.  I've had heart palps in the past, had ekg's, ultrasounds, monitors and my heart is health, normal rhythm.  I had betablockers on hand, took one 40mg of Inderal and it helped.  I think the pizza was so greasy it caused this.  My intestines were rumbling also as the food was passing through the body.
I had Chinese food today and noticed my heart beating hard and fast... I also noticed my head and my neck thumping sometimes. I don't want to ever eat at that restaurant again!! Don't know if msg or spicy food or too much fat caused it... Or maybe eating too much or an allergy... Could be one or more things that caused it. I like the idea of eating smaller meals and I want to start watching my fat consumption better.
Everyone who experiences this needs to be checked for Celiac disease...I have the same thing and it only gets worse...I've been through every test possible and nothing came up. Celiac disease affects 1 out of 100 Americans. It is an allergic reaction to gluten. But remember you can still produce a false negative. I have been to over 12 doctors in 10 years to finally find my answers. It's a death grip on your life...More people are celiacs than there are type 1 diabetes patients. Most doctors don't realize this isthe problem because they don't put all the puzzle pieces together. Go to a gastro doctor whom is familiar with celiac disease...this will kill you if you don't get diagnosed and change your lifestyle to gluten free. If you don't think this is the case, eat gluten free food and use only gluten free products for a week and you will see the change...
I also have the same problem, my doctors gave me beta blockers, calcium channel blocker and xanax and still my heart jump up to 100 or 115 and blood pressure sometimes goes to be 160/95, I have read a book about the bp and start to eat brown rice and food cooked without oil or grease and my heart now is between 57-65 my bp goes to 110 over 65 I lost 16 kgs in 2 months and the doctor was shocked last time he heard my heart and said how did you made that I told him what i eat and will tell you all to just one or 2 weeks u'll find the result and please if they make u happy just pray for me, i took out salts 1st week, 1st meal was yoghurt, one banana one apple without the skin, 2nd was meat or chicken with vigis and brow rice and at night olive oil on salt free cheese and two or 3 brown toast and was resting away from other ppl and i didnt drive at all, actually for the 1st days i thought that my heart got tired and i'm going to die but my doctor said i made something good for my self and now i add both potassiom and sadiom salts together i dont eat salty foods and try my best to eat 3-4 meals at home and fresh vigis and fruits wish you all the best and please let me know your news