Heart Rhythm Community
is my dad having atrial fibrillation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

is my dad having atrial fibrillation?

hi, i am karen, 22 years old.my dad is 74 years old.having 25 years of hypertension history, and is under bisoprolol 5mg(1/2 per day) and captopril 25mg (3 times a day).he has high cholesterol and under atovastatin medication.besides, he is being prescriped with aspirin 300mg(1/2 per day). recently, he is suffering some sort of palpitation, i dont know whether it is a atrial fibrillation. during the attack, he feels dizzy, with no symptoms of shortness of breath. the hospital did several test, including the ecg, echocardiogram, lab tsets,. doctors tell that the ecg shows a bit of irregular heart beat, the echocardiogram is overall normal with posterior wall and septal wall thickness of 1.1cm, ejection fraction of 61%, LVEDS:3.2CM, LVEDD :4.7cm.overall systolic function is good, chamber size is normal, but mild mr is noted in doppler studies.
the questions i want to ask are:
1. is my dad suffering from atrial fibriallation?
2.is it caused by beta blockers bisoprostol?
3.does he need ti be started with anti arrythmic drug?
4.is Lcarnitine, ribose, and mitocare supplement effective for him?
5. what should i do to prevent and help him out during the attack?
6. what sould i ask the doctor in this aspect?
i really need professional advice to help out my dad. thank you very much.i really feel helpless.i really need your help.please.i will be really thankful.
Ask the doctor to prescribe him to wear an event monitor to catch the episode on an EKG.  Diagnosing him based on yours or his observations is conjecture and making changes to his meds based on conjecture is not wise.  You didn't mention any significant criteria to lead one to suspect afib but it warrants further study with an event monitor.  Based on your description I'd be more inclined to think bradycardia but I'm guessing.

p.s., being a patient support board you'll get some good advise but it's not professional, you get what you pay for :-)