Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
low blood pressure from medication and flying

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I am currently taking Diovan/HCTZ 160/25mg and Lotrel 5/20mg for high blood pressure.  I sometimes experience symptoms of low blood pressure, dizzyness and almost fainting, usually from switching from a seated to a standing position.  My question is, is it safe to fly on on airplane with this condition.  I am otherwise healthy and exercise regularly.  Am I more likely to experience these symptoms in the air and possibly faint?  The majority of the time I am fine, but usually the symptoms are strongest several hours after I take Diovan/HCTZ.  My gut instinct tells me that I'll be fine, but I am a little worried because I have several upcomming trips where I am supposed to fly and just wanted to make sure.  Thanks for your time  
I would want to see a blood pressure log to see what your daily blood pressures are.  That is a lot of blood pressure medications -- either you are over treated and you are getting hyoptensive during the day or you might have a sort of autonomic dysfunction where you blood pressure is too high when you are lying down and too low when you stand up.  The first problem is easy to fix, back down on the medication.  The second problem is much more difficult.  

The risk of fainting on a airplane should not be significantly higher unless you have a history of fainting on airplanes. I cannot really assess whether it is safe for you travel based on the info provided, probably best to ask your doctor that.  There is a lot of value to actually being able to see you and talk for a few minutes compared to just reading a post.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for posting.