Heart Rhythm Community
magnesium taurate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

magnesium taurate

I have been suffering from PAC's for 10 years now. Been on atenolol and toprol but to no avail. Recently, EP put me on flecainide. Been hearing a lot about the benefits of magnesium taurate. Can i take flecainide and the magnesium without any side effects. Has anyone on magnesium taurate seen any positive results?
I've been waiting for someone to answer your question... seeing you post slip toward page 2, I will "jump in" and suggest you discuss with your doctor, or with your pharmacist.  
Can't speak for Magnesium taurate, though I do take magnesium oxide pills twice a day, and I have a magnesium citrate powder to put in drinks, which i will start soon. Whether it is coincidence or not, after a few days of taking magnesium (along with a host of other natural supplements recommended by this healthalert newsletter i get - supplements being CardioPlus, Organically Bound Minerals, Cataplex B and G, Drenamin, and Cyruta) I noticed a dramatic plunge in the number of "skipped" heartbeats I was having. The ER called them PVCs. I rarely get them anymore, whereas I was at one point feeling about 3-6 skips a minute all day long. Do I believe the magnesium has helped? Yes I do. I mentioned this to my doctor but he said my labs showed my magnesium levels were fine before I started taking supplements. But I've read that the blood tests arent really good for detecting deficiencies. And most people are deficient in magnesium. For me, I am going to continue my supplements until my body tells me otherwise.
How many milligrams of magnesium oxide do you take for each dose?
Magnesium is one of those supplements that cause the opposite effects in some individuals, especially if too much is taken.  I to used to use beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers to help control atrial flutter, magnesium works better for me, plus it has benefits for nerve and immune function.  Most magnesium compounds cause bowel problems, either constipation or diarrhea.  magnesium glycinate is the best because it has little effect on the bowel and is the most bio-available form.  magnesium glycinate is also known as chelated magnesium and magnesium amino acid.  Glycine is an amino acid to which magnesium is attached. This way magnesium can easily penetrate the cell membranes.

Always start with small doses and work your way up to maximum effectiveness, for example take 200mg every 8 hours to start.
In my opinion, magnesium is absolutely essential to anyone having arrhythmia.  I had two ablations for atrial flutter, but afterward I started to have a faster resting heart rate (96 or so) after some of my stressors (vigorous exercise, caffeine, stress, alcohol consumption, etc).  My heart rate would rise from there to over 140bpm with exertion - walking, stairs, etc.  I was to the hospital or clinicl 4 or 5 times with this. The EP wanted to put in a pacemaker. My GP wanted to increase my daily verapamil to 360 - that caused me to drop down to the 50's for a heart rate - made me feel dizzy.  I had flecainide and digoxin as a "pill in pocket" cure for this arrhythmia.  I was even advised to take an extra verapamil if this happened.

I gave the ablation and these prescriptions their chance.  They didn't work.  I started taking large amounts of magnesium (800 mg) and potassium (400mg) when this arrhythmia occurred.  Without exception, this converted my arrhythmia back to normal sinus rhythm.  I did however, suffer from some loose stools.

Last month I quit taking my verapamil.  I haven't had an arrhythmia yet.  I supplement with fish oil, taurine, magnesium, potassium, arginine, multi, green tea extract, red wine extract and fiber.   I get an occasional 5 second run (less than once per day), but that's it.  I bought one of those watches you can take your pulse with.  I am at rest right now and at 66 bpm.  

I am in no way advocating that you quit taking your arrhythmia medication and self-medicate like I did.  I may eat my words tomorrow. I have noticed my heart rate without the verapamil is still where it should be and that I can get my heart rate up higher during exercise, with a return to normal heart rate within a normal time frame.

But there are alternatives.
Thank you all for your comments. I am going to start taking my magnesuim taurate and see if it works for me
How's it been working for you?
Magnesium Malate is actually the best form of Magnesium to take for PAC or PVC because not only is it a chelated form which has a high bio-availablility but the malate form works with a part of the Krebs cycle that targets muscle cells including your heart muscle cells. Studies have shown the people who die from PVC induced MI had a very low functioning or non exsistant Magnesium Malate Kreb cycle function. I am in a Respritory Therapy program and we have to know ion function as a matter of routine to keep patients alive. Magnesium is a ion that is  critical in the balance of homestasis as it relates to cell function. It is simple in the fact that if your magnesium is low your cells lose their ability to perform their normal function and in the case of heart muscle pace maker cells they will lose the ability to fire properly at regular intervals causing PAC & PVCs. Also normal blood serum levels of  magnesium does not indicate that magnesium in your cells is normal or not deficient. Thus the chelated forms should be taken as most know by now. I had arrythmias that were getting so bad that it was getting hard to breathe on occasion. I started taken Magnesium Glycinate and my PACs went down by half. Then I read the studies on the Krebs-Malate cycle combined with my own knowledge from my University work. I do not have ANY arrythmia as long as I take the Malate form of Magnesium. I take Magnesium Malate from Source Naturals.  
I want to thank you for your post.  Elements of your experience are strangely similar to what I have gone through.  The importance of magnesium and potassium must be an issue for me considering how much better I have felt the last few weeks after reading your post.
I have been taking the magnesium taurate version (125mg) 3 per day.
You mentioned the amount you take to head off an arrhythmia, but I am curious how much you take of the items for maintenance purposes (and which form of magnesium do you take)?
I have been taking 375 mg magnesium taurate for 6 1/2 years.  I started taking it in 2005 when I was on predinisone.  I believe the prednisone started the atrial fib, since it began almost immediately after my first dose. The mag. taur. greatly improved the afib, but did not completely eliminate it.  In 2009 I started taking Armour thyroid 30 mg, and have not had afib since.  I still take the mag. taur because it helps leg and foot cramps.
Do you need a prescription for the Amour thyroid?
Hi Colby12,

Very nice to hear about your exp. with Magnesium Malate from Source Naturals. Did you take 3 capsules a day ? Together og distributet througout the day ?

Thank for good posting.

Regards
Mikkel
I'm a 33 year old male with lone a-fib. I'm in and out of it throughout the day with episodes that last maybe 10 minutes sometime longer. I wore a 7 day monitor and it showed I'm in it about 20% of the time. I'm not that affected by the symptoms, but I want to reduce the amount of time I'm in a-fib (or eliminate it all together to reduce my stroke risk). I've been reading a lot about magnesium, glycine, taurine, MgG, MgT, ect... and want to give it a try but I'm not sure what form or dosage to start with. Can anyone recommend a doctor that has experience in this area so he or she can make a recommendation based on my personal situation?

Thanks so much for your help! The information already on this thread has been helpful.

Best,
Jon

(BTW, I have found this site to be useful: http://afibbers.org)
The dose is completely individualized. However, the minimum dose of magnesium needed per day is 300 mg.

Some people get loose stool with anything over 400 mg. I can up to 700 mg. per day without problems. 800 mg. no.

Make sure you take magnesium with Vitamin D and Calcium, as both help with magesium's absorption.
Yes.