Heart Rhythm Community
minimaze ablation post-op complications
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

minimaze ablation post-op complications

My fit 59-year-old husband had a Wolf minimaze procedure on Jan 12, 2010.  Four months later he is experiencing the following:  a very sore, semi-frozen left arm, intermittent swelling above the incision sites (bilaterally), chest discomfort (ranging from a "squirmy"  feeling to jabbing pains and numbness), and, of most concern, restricted breathing.  Formerly very active in our nursery business, he now requires rest after minimal exertion.  He gasps and coughs and has experienced "spasms" in which his lungs feel as if they're seizing up.  He experiences temporary relief after using my albuteral inhaler.  We are with Kaiser.  The surgical team had performed only one prior WMM.  There has been aftercare but few answers to our questions about his debilitated condition.  He was told he would be pain free after three mos., though perhaps still lacking in energy.  A pulmonary workup is scheduled next month.  I am concerned about adhesions, possible nerve damage, and what might be extrinsic restrictive lung disease.  His lungs were serially collapsed during the procedure.  On the bright side, his chronic intermittent a-fib seems to have been controlled....  My questions:  Are complications such as these rare?  What might be causing them?  Might the breathing issue turn out to be chronic?   My heart breaks to see my once-vibrant husband so weakened and  depressed by these new limitations.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
I'm sorry to hear he's having such a rough recovery time. I don't see many people here post about a mini-maze procedure and their own recovery. Most ablations are straightforward, up the femoral veins for routine SVT. I've had 3 ablations for that with no long term after effects. We are also with Kaiser and they've been great about so much of our care. But for heart things like this, they sent me to the university hospital to have the ablations done.

I hope someone will see this post and have better input for you. And do keep pushing for answers from the doctors. It's been 4 months since his ablation and he should be feeling improvement, not feel this bad.

Blank
Thank you.  Your comment is helpful as it helps us establish that what is happening is not normal.  A member of another forum also had success with Kaiser ablations in Calif.  Wish we were there....
Blank
my grandmother had the wolf mini maze done about 7 months ago, and she no longer can do many of the things she did before because of the pain in her chest. she says it feels like there is alot of pressure, like someone has a band around her chest and she cant take a deep breath.  and if she has a good day and tries to do things around the house, the next day she says her chest is drawed up really tight.  i was wondering if you received any answers with your husbands condition, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
1236893_tn?1394988190
Blank
Things Killing Your Gut
1 hr ago by gymdandee
1236893_tn?1394988190
Blank
gymdandee Great Comment