Heart Rhythm Community
my heart stops beating for a second

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

my heart stops beating for a second

hi, i have some hearts problems, i fell like my heart stops for a second or 2, i am 20 now and i have felt this since i was 12 or 13 years old.it happens most when i am in anxiety for smth, but also happens when i am relaxing or doing nothing.i am scared about it, i think that when it stops it won't beat again.i have had an echography, ECG, also an holter for 24 hours and everything was ok.when i kept the holter none of this signs like hearts stops happened.please what can i do?

This discussion is related to It feels like my heart stops for a second.
keeep the holter on ok?
No. 1 take breath slow and try to focus on whats around you when you're anxious.
No. 2 you could keep in touch with your Dr about other symptoms as well as the heart skip's.
No. 3 if you dont feel you have had the skips during any of the  ECG so far then stress that point to your Dr.

Have you had a stress test????

I'm not sure what you mean by echography are you talking about echocardiograph of your heart. Ultrasound of your heart.

You could also keep a diray of when they happen what you doing/thinking about at the time. You may find a trigger either mental trigger or physical trigger and then you will have more to tell your Dr's.

If all els fails you could look into getting your own ECG machine, if only to have some way to catch the skips when they happen and show your Dr if the ECG shows the skips in some way. I would not recomend your own ECG if you think it would cause my anxiety than it would solve. It's not to replace the Dr it should be used as a tool to help the Dr help you the way the hoilter is meant to but if it's yours you never have to give in back and hope that the skips happen in a short time that you have it.

Most of all learning to cope with over thinking that causes anxiety is going to benifit you no matter what.
it sounds like you have skipped beats, does your heart go bump bump bump pause  bing thump, i describe them like that, it doesnt stop its an extra beat then pauses until it resets itself, they're normal
Did your dr. tell you what he thought the skips might be?  If you've had all the tests done and your heart is healthy, then you should try to not worry.  I know, easier said than done, but many of us on here have skipped beats and have had them for many years.  They are very annoying and can cause physical symptoms, but they are no more harmful than those that do not suffer from skipped beats.  Watch your caffeine intake.  If you smoke or drink alcohol that can cause some to feel their hearts as well.  I also avoid fried foods, and msg. Continue to see your doctor regularly, and always make an appt. as needed.  I have anxiety and panic as a direct result of my skipped beats which tends to escalate things.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.  Best to you!
thanks a lot to all of you that answered me, it feels so good when people try to help you and makes me think in a positive way, what happens is smth like the kay2486 said, it smth like that.i had done all the tests i can, and in different doctors, all of them told me that i am totally healthy in my heart and that maybe is smth caused by stress, i'd love to be that.this symptoms happen almost everyday and sometimes are really hard, they long for 2-3 seconds maximum.maybe i'll take an holter one of this days.thanks for the advices
Damn it, I'm so sick of being told it's anxiety! It happens when I'm laying still, in the car, at the store, at work' even in my sleep when it wakes me up. If you know it's not anixoity, insist that point to your DR.
I need to follow my own advise, but I'm sick of being brushed off.
When I was 5yrs old and had my physical for kindergarten , they found what I was told was a murmur. Later in my school days in in high school when I wanted to run x-country and track, this medical record almost prevented me from joining. I never noticed any physical symptoms until about 5-7 years ago' and it seems to be getting more intense. Not painful,  but it is stopping me in my tracks when it happens now. It's lasting longer and more frequent.
I've been put on a heart monster for about 10 seconds and it read ok, if the monitor was left on for more than 10 minuets, I'm sure it would show something is going on.
you have just explained my symptom exactly.ive had this for a few years now.several ecg,s.24 hour heart monitor.told to stay of caffeine and smoking which i have,and still some days  i have this problem.i can actually feel my pulse and it stops dead for a split second then BANG  it starts again.i can feel it in all the strong areas ie the groin wrist and obviously the heart.what advice have you been given..i am a worry wart but the dr says  its absolutley normal..mmmm im not so sure.