Heart Rhythm Community
pacemaker

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

pacemaker

I had a pacemaker inserted back in December.I now am not certain that this was the right decision my question is will the pacemaker cause other problems to my heart?
Avatar n tn

I'm sure your doc wouldn't have implanted a PM if it wasn't indicated.

Sure, any implanted device can cause problems, but PM complications are scarce if not rare. Depending on your age, it may lutlast you.

Could it be the PM is making you feel so well that you're tricked into thinking you did't need it?  :)

Best of health,,,
Pacemaker is a generic term.  What sort of device did you have implanted and for what diagnosis?  Sure having your heart made to beat by an electronic device can cause other problems but how do they compare with the problem that resulted in the implant in the first place?  

So, what type of device was implanted and what heart problem(s) were you having that your EP suggested/recommended an implantable device to manage?

Just so you know, I had a pulse generator implanted approx 6 weeks ago. Prior to that I had been in continuous atrial fibrillation for over half a year.  My heartrate varied continuously from 140 or so down to in the 30s with no pattern, rhyme or reason to it.  I felt at best half-alive and many days less than that.  Because I also had my AV node ablated the device runs continuously and without it I would just go to sleep.  I wouldn't die I would just lose consciousness and  sort of hibernate until the device was either reactivated or replaced.  Now, I have heard and read that for some people pacing of one ventricle can increase the possibility of heart failure.  I do not think that applies to one in my situation but even if it does I am OK with that.  It beats the alternative.

Keep us informed.

Regards,
Bionic Bill