post ablation
I had a pulmonary vein isolation 2 weeks ago and my heart is still going into a/fib quite strongly. Is this ususl after this procedure?
I hope someone else helps you out. Make sure you call your doc though while you are waiting to hear from someone on here that can help. :)
I had a PVI ablation last August.  I experienced a number of episodes the first 15 days.  I ended up in ER and was cardioconverted at one point.  Since Sept 15 of 2010 I have only had one four hour episode of AFIB which was about 3 weeks ago.  So, no it is not unusual to have episodes for several months after the ablation. Your heart will need a good 3 to 6 months to recover.  Do keep your doctor appraised of your situation.  Good luck,,
Thankyou so much for your reply it helps to know that someone has been thru the same. It sounds as if your heart has really settled now and it was a success.
I
Did you still take medication after your PVI? Mine was reduced to a quarter of the usual amount after PVI but my heart banged about so much afterwards that I had to go back to the full dose.
Yes.  Flecanide.  The second week, I went into constant atrial tachycardia and was taken off flecanide and put on sotalol.    It took 3 days to get back to NSR. After 2 months it was cut in half then at about 4 months I was taken off the meds.  Now I only take it as needed.
Are you having any progress with the afib?
Yes there is a difference, not nearly as many afib episodes. I am on Sotalol 120mg twice daily, but if I don't pace myself I go into afib straight away. Does the Sotalol make you feel tired and a little light headed at times? I looked it up and it is known for these sort of side effects. Roll on the day when I can (hopefully) come off meds. Many grateful thanks for your reply, it has helped tremendously.
To answer your question, yes.  I did not notice the effects at first.  I thought it was the afib that made me feel so bad.  Now if I take an 80 mg sotalol, I feel terrible.  But that is because I know what it feels like to feel normal.  The sotalol makes me feel light headed, my neck and shoulders feel achy and I am very lethargic.  It was a great day when the doctor said I did not have to take it on a regular basis any longer.
Your welcome.  I have found a lot of help on this forum from those who have had similar experiences.  
I was blaming the afib as well until a Doctor told me the Sotalol cuts your energy in half, and then I looked up the side effects - I feel as if I am under a grey cloud and just can't wait to come out from under it.
It sounds as if your heart went "mad" after the PVI procedure too - not a nice experience is it?
Problem is no one in the medical profession tells us what is likely to happen, it would be such a help if they did.
I thank you once again.
Your right, it is not a nice experience.  The only way a doctor is going to appreciate a patients experience is if they go through it themselves.  I read a blog by a cardiac electrophysiologist, who is also a bike racer.  He experienced afib during a bike ride. He blogs about his experiences including treating patients with afib and he has some good insights.  If your interested he is at drjohnm.org. I have found his blog very helpful also. Hope you find it helpful.  
Many thanks. Will certainly look it up.