Heart Rhythm Community
pounding heartbeat

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

pounding heartbeat

I too experience heavy heartbeat when at rest.  Sometimes I get an immense jolt like the kick of a horse, only from inside.  Has anybody else ever had this?  If I have just gone to bed, lying on my right side, sometimes the bang will be so big that my hand on my chest feels like it has been kicked.  I take a fair bit of ibuprofen, have a lot of stress, and my potassium is probably low.  I can stop the pills and increase the bananas.  

This discussion is related to Forceful or Pounding Heart B eat.
I postponed responding as I do not have any experience with your symptom, consider myself lucky.  But seeing your post going "unanswered" I post the following:

1) Discuss with your doctor , at least your primary care doctor, ask for a Holter heart monitor if this happens every night - a Holter is a 24 hour test and if of on use if the symptom doesn't occur when it is active.
2) Sounds like a PVC, early or extra contraction of your Ventricle chambers.  These are quite common and I believe mostly benign if uncomfortable.

Good luck, and best to discuss with your doctor.
I have this the ones that kick like a horse was only caught once by a monitor and it was nsvt very short but there not saying that's yours sometimes its just a pounding heart. A single PVC to me feels like a butterfly in the center of my chest. As for stress I think is by far the worst thing for any person I have a lot more under stress. Just get checked out for piece of mind.
Thanks to you both.  After finding out that too much ibuprofen can cause this, I stopped taking it.  It has been 7 days, and the symptoms are all gone.  I can be at rest and experience nothing but comfort, it's a blessing!