Heart Rhythm Community
pvcs at wits end!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

pvcs at wits end!!

I am 44 and I think Im going insane...I was diagnosed with PVC's 8 years ago...I had ultrasound doc said everything looks good...I take atenonlol...everything is managable for months at a time then all of the sudden my heart is skipping, flip-flopping, beating fast, beating slow, cant sleep on my right side, cant sleep on my left side, maybe its gas, no maybe its because its the week before my period, no more wine, maybe I need more wine, lose weight, take yoga, dont stress...aaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!! I cant stand this, I feel like I'm going to die everytime I have a PVC!!! How do I make this stop?????  Can you tell I'm in the middle of a week long episode of 500 PVCs a day....Please someone tell me how to deal with this.....
Tags: PVC/PAC
hi sweetie!! first, big hugs!!!!! i was told pms week can make pvc's increase!
listen to your body and tell your doc, i told the ep mine were getting bad, and i wore a 30 day event monitor to prove how terrible they were, i had vtach a few times and had thousands upon thousands every day!!
ok, point here, i took verapamil for a yr but got really bad and finally i just had ablation last thursday(not what i expected as i was awake, and cried out in pain) they found 3 areas and had to ablate 18 times but doc is hopefully, i will be better!!!
don't know if this helped or not but i wanted to reply, lol!!!
maybe you need another holter??
ok, looking forward to reading more
ciao for now
Thank you....here I am complaining about 500 a day and you had thousands....I already feel better after finding this web site, I take so much comfort in knowing I am not the only one dealing with this.  Thank you again for sharing with me, I hope that the procedure you had works and you never feel another PVC again!!!
I hope this will make you feel better.  I go through the same thing.  I take tenormin too and for the most part it keeps them in check.  When I had my holter last year, I had only 6 in 24 hours.  Then back in January after a cold, they decided to act up.  I THOUGHT I was having at least 1/minute.  I asked for another holter and it showed 123 in 24 hours.  (the 500 or so you have is also a very low number according to my doctor)  So, my point is, you may feel like you are having more than you actually are because you are so sensitzed to them once your anxiety rears it's ugly head.  This went on for about a month and then it just went back to the normal daily flutters that were manageable.   Don't worry as they will not hurt you.  It is funny because as soon as I wore the moniter and the doctor called me to tell me that everything was okay and if it really bothered me to take another 1/4 of tenormin in the evening they went away.  Pvc's feed off of stress and worry.
take care
Frenchie
Hi palpmo!

Sorry the pvcs are driving you crazy.  You hit the nail on the head when you say, "maybe it's this, maybe it's that, but, it could be this, how about that?, do you suppose it's the wine," etc.  One day you're just going about your business and outta nowhere, they're back!!  It can be so frustrating. The main thing is that you have a good cardio workup to rule out anything serious.  Once that has been done, it's more about learning to live with the pvcs.  That's the hard part.

Do you really feel as though you will die when you feel a pvc?  I'm just curious.  I used to have at least 20,000 per day and I never felt as though I would die (unless I was having a panic attack).  However, I definitely felt stressed, anxious, frustrated, uneasy, etc.  I think it had more to do with the variations in BP and HR, not sure.  The lousy thing is that anxiety makes them worse - a vicious circle indeed.  

Not to worry, we will help you get through this.  Many of us have been exactly where you are, and we really do understand your frustration and anxiety.  In my case, in my doctor concurs, hormonal fluctations could trigger pvc "storms."  Pregnancy, cycles, peri-menopause, stress related changes, etc.   Short of anti-arrythmics and/or ablation, I don't know of any way to stop the pvcs.  Many of us have identified "triggers" (caffeine, lack of sleep, spicy foods, large meals, holiday hustle and bustle, MSG, etc), but even the triggers can be inconsistent.  Hang in there!  We're here for ya!!

Connie
I am suffering through my worst PVC flare up in the 5 years that I have had them - one every 3rd or 4th beat, all day long.  I have no idea why they are so bad.  I just got back from the ER because I couldn't take it anymore.  Of course, there is nothing that they can do.  I do feel as though I am going crazy and don't want to live this compromised life anymore.  I am trying to hang on to see if a beta blocker will help but I am honestly at my wits end.
I know how you feel. I have been to the ER so many times it is pathetic. MY family is worn out with me and my Heart, They hear the words they won't hurt you but they are destroying me. I am so tiredof it I could sit and cry all the time. Mine does it on a average of about 1000 a day. I get tired of counting. I had ablation surgery 5 years ago and that took careof it for a long time but now they are back with a vengence. My SVT's are gone thank the Lord for that but the jumping is making me so depressed I can't take much more. I was free of PAC's PVC's and SVT's for 5 years. I wish they would go away. I have to keep telling myself that they are benign but my mind doesn't believe it. I want peace from it. I take Metoprolol and Xanax but nothing makes it stop. I feel your pain. I wish I knew a magic trick to cure it for everyone. It is so aggravating. Good luck.
Wow and Omg...today is a different day for me...this forum has been a eye opening, life saver for me.  Yesterday I was at the end of my rope, and now that I have read pages and pages of other peoples lives dealing with PVC's I feel so much better.  I feel better than I have in years because everything I have felt and wondered about has been experience by someone else...The sense of relief I feel is so wonderful.  I think that I have been panicked for years now because I honestly thought that I was going to have a heart attack and die, everytime I felt a pvc.  I have been afraid to talk about it with anyone, other than my husband, because if I talked about it, then its really real...does that make any sense...I guess pretend they dont happen then they won't, only they do then I get all terrified all over again.  The funny thing is today was a managable day and coincidently I got my period and as usual I barely feel them once I'm on my cycle.  The week before I get my period is always so bad, I dont know the science behind it but I swear it true.  Now, thanks to all of you I now know that all of the different triggers and feeling I have are legit.  For me this is half the battle....Im not crazy!!!!! wahoooooo!!!!! Im not saying that I like my heart hiccups(new term I learned) but I am not going to let them make me curl up in a ball and cry anymore.  I am going to learn to deal with them and try to live as normal a life as I can.  Thank you to all of you who share on this forum, you have all saved me from giving up!!!
Love to all,
Monique - aka palpmp
WOOHOO!!  You've beaten the PVCs!!  That's the really tough battle and you WON!!!  This calls for a celebration.......CHEERS to you!!!

The difference in your first post and the most recent post is awesome!  Kudos to you : )

Hope today is your best day yet!

connie
I'm telling you, this site is truly wonderful!!!!  Look at you!  All, "I'm gonna beat these things," and "I am not going to let them make me curl up in a ball and cry anymore."  That is the key!!!  While they may not go away, you've taken a great deal of their strength from them by learning to try to deal with them instead of fighting.  It's the nasty cycle of feel-fear-feel more-fear more--fall apart that gives them the greatest power, and your words show that you are ready to take that energy away from them.  

You go girl!!!!
Palpmo,

I feel the EXACT way you do, it's kind of scary.  I have only been dealing with this for almost 7 months and I felt like I was going insane day one :-)  I have been to two different cardios, had all of the test, and they tell me the same thing "benign."  I am on metoprolol and xanax too, even though I haven't taken the xanax in a few months.
I feel like I am going to die when I have the really bad ones, like the flip flops-ohhhhhhhhhhhh how I DETEST them.  I go into panic mode whenever I get the real bad ones like that.  I just sit there and wait for another, then another, until I fstart to imagine the most awful scenarious and work  myself up real good!!!  And when you said you don't like to talk about them with anyone else because then it's "real" I about screamed.  I am the SAME way.  I mean, of course I come onto the forums and discuss it,  but I don't like to bother my friends with it or my family because they have heard "benign" "anixety/panic" so they think I am just making this stuff happen.  I often feel like if I say something it just may happen so let me be quiet...it's crazy I know.

I get PVC's REAL, REAL bad at the end of my cycle.  I get them sort of bad a week before like you were saying, but once I am actually on my cycle they aren't that bad at all.  So I know my hormones have SOMETHING to do with them; but it's like nobody can tell me why.  I want to know WHY for everything...always been like that.  There has GOT to be an answer, but I have had a couple of doctors tell me that it's not like a TV show where they can diagnose you in 30 minutes or an hour.  There are some things that they are still trying to figure out and PVC's seem to be one of them-YIKES!!!!

I am so glad to have found this forum.  I felt completly isolated and alone before I came on here.  Everyone is so knowlegeable (sp?) and caring, and will not make you feel like you are a basket case for feeling the way you do.

Sunshine, I am with you on the ER visits.  I know  most of the folk there by now because I have been there so many times.  And yes, I have made my trips to DIFFERENT ER-hospitals too, and my poor husband just doesn't know what to do.  He can tell when they get real bad because he will ask me if I want to go to the ER, but I don't like going anymore.  They always tell me there is nothing they can do and just keep taking my medication "maybe you need to go ahead and pop that xanax after all."  
It's rough, it really really is.  I am trying my best to learn to live with them but I am not succeeding very well.  Everyday is a challenge for me.  When I am having them I am super depressed, feel like they will never go away and "what if this is the time" etc.  When I am having a good day I am still anxious waiting for it to rear it's ugly head....so I am anxious no matter what.  It's quite a vicious cycle.
But I can say that when I have them and I act like nothing happend-trying to ignore them I do much better.  I truly do believe stress, fatigue and anxiety FUEL them!!!

I hope everyone has a great day today!!  Be blessed.
This site has been a real help to me too. At times I have been paralysed with fear over my ectopic heartbeats, barely able to function, almost afraid to leave the house, convinced I am about to drop dead. It has really been a comfort to know that there are others suffering far more pvc's, for far longer, and still they are told they are okay by their doctors and they manage to cope. I have coped by trying to work on the anxiety, as I didn't want to take medicine for the ectopics. I still have times of high anxiety - but  things are getting better. Have all the tests, make sure you are okay, then work on the anxiety these things cause - I found cognitive therapy books helpful. Best wishes.
Funny story hopefully inspiring in a weird way; I have had a rough 6 months with PVCS with some prior days of them in the hundreds/low thousands...have had all the tests...my cardio has seen my PVCs on stress test and said "don't worry."

Just Saturday friends of ours had a party...well it got a little rowdy and I foolishly had WAY too much to drink (I had a ride home but still no excuse...I'm 42 not 24 anymore)...well I got REALLY sick and felt AWFUL the next day...my heart rate did go up (as it tends to for me with alcohol) but I had almost ZERO PVCs that night AND the next day...

I'm not trying to brag at all and I don't plan on doing anything so stupid anytime soon...I just wanted to express that I think our hearts are stronger than we think and that when the "going gets tough" I think our hearts are just fine...as long as we've been tested...

Be well all and let's stick together!!
"I just wanted to express that I think our hearts are stronger than we think and that when the "going gets tough" I think our hearts are just fine...as long as we've been tested..."

I must agree with this. I went through a horrendously torturous and traumatic labour with no pain relief and having PVCs every second or third beat, and I'm still here to tell the tale. If my heart can take that I reckon it can take anything.
Hey PVCman,

Any chance you just don't remember the pvc's?  Sorry, but I couldn't resist.  Most of us have probably "been there, done that."  Hope you're feeling a LOT better : )

Gotta agree - we're a lot tougher than we think, and we've got the hearts to prove it : )

connie

I agree too. My  ectopics started after an operation to remove an ovarian cyst. I was quite ill after this - I think too much general anaesthetic caused them to start. I must have been having thousands a day at this time. Almost exactly a year later I needed to have a hysterectomy - as you can imagine I was terrified. I thought I would die whilst I was under the anaesthetic. The surgeon said I could have it done with a spinal block, but after 3 attempts at siting it, I agreed to a general. The operation went fine - it is still hard to accept that my missed beats are harmless, but if my heart got me through a serious operation like that it just shows that it is perfectly able to do it's job.

Palpmo - my ectopics stopped after Christmas, but have started up again recently. It's driving me nuts, but I am hopeful that they will fade away again.
Hi everyone!!!

I was hoping someone could help me understand.  I have had tachacardia for 15 years.  I have gotten so much peace from reading your blogs and am so thankful.....but I am reading alot about people having 10,000, 20,000 or 500 pvc a day.  It was years ago when I had to wear a heart monitor night and day but I don't remember my doctor telling how many I had a day because when I would have an "episode" it would last for hours.  What I mean is .....I have a resting hr of about 50bpm.  When I have a problem my heart races up to about 150 and stays there until its over.

Back in the day (ha ha) they gave me all of these exercises to do to make it stop.....like holding my breath and bearing down.....or laying down and breathing really deep and slow .  Sometimes this worked....sometimes it didn't.  I was just told take more medicine until it stops.  (The down side is feeling so druged)  I also went through many drugs until I found one that worked.  I hear many of you that are on a drug but you still have problems.......has your doctors tried you on lots of drugs but none of them worked or have yall just been on the one drug.  Varapimil was just ONE of the many drugs I tried that didn't work.  I have been tried on lapressor, atenolol, flecanide and so on..... (please forgive me for my spelling....don't have the time to look them up).  I also walked away from that experience with the impression that once you find the drug (which can take a loooooong time) its just figuring out how little you can survive on.  In the end I do have medicine that will take them away but I can't function with the world very well.  

BUT my big question is my hour or two long episode consider 1pvc or.....every beat is a pvc?  I don't know?  Do any of yall have the same type thing or are most of you just feeling the flip flop thing.  I have had the flip flop thing but my doctors have explained that many times this is my medicine trying to work but I just don't have enough in my system to conquer it.....so I need to take more or change my "cocktail".  But for the most part when I have a problem it last for long periods of time.  You know .....like a constant 130...150...for an hour or more. I am so bad at this writing thing......am I making any sense?
Do you have sinus tachy  (normal rhythm, but fast heartrate)?  Or, do you have tachy as well as the arrythmia (pvcs)? When I used to go hours on end with pvcs every 2nd or 3rd beat, I think my HR was relatively normal, though it was very hard to get.  When you have a pvc every other beat, it is known as bigeminy.  Trigeminy is every 3rd; quadrigeminy is every 4 beats.  A couplet would be 2 in a row; a triplet 3 in a row.  Three or more in a row (no normal beats in between) may also be referred to as a run, salvo or non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (NSVT).  These episodes do not last beyond 30 seconds.  Ventricular runs that last at least 30 seconds are known as sustained ventricular tachycardia (SVT). I hope that makes sense.  : )

Wow!!  It scares me that I am leaning how much I DON'T know about my condition and I have had this for many years.  It makes sense why the emergency room was so fustrated with me when I couldn't answer some of there questions about my condition.  I THINK my rhythm is normal when it is so fast but in last weeks visit he did say that he saw pvc's on my ekg. I didn't think anything of it until I read this blog....... But he also said that it looks like I have maybe developed yet another problem and only going in (mapping??) would be able to tell that????   I do know that I have extra tissue in my heart by my av node that is electrically charged and it fights with my av node.  I think I need to write down some questions and address him next time I talk with him.  I also think I too spend my time trying to give it NO attention so it won't have the spotlight in my life.  But as you can maybe see after reading so much I am a little uncomfortable on how with how much I don't know....Thank you for taking the time to help me :)
I always turn to this site when the PVC's come back with a vengance....as they are doing now....If it makes any of you "New" sufferers feel better, I'm 61, an obsessive runner - about 50 miles a week and a couple of marathons a year and have had PVC's since I was about 20! Sometimes they come when I run and sometimes at rest - there's no rhyme or reason to them.. I still have anxiety when they show up and sometimes panic, but I try hard to ignore them (not easy)....I've also tried everything imaginable --- had to laugh at a few posts that were saying "no wine, less wine," etc.....my Doctor tells me that caffine can be a trigger but then will tell me that because of my slow heart rate (about 44 at rest-because of the running, etc) I probably need more caffine to speed the heart up and therefore reduce the PVC's.  He claims the slow heart rate, although very healthy can trigger more skips....so who knows.....think the drs. drive us crazier.....always feel better after I read these posts.....wish all of you a happy holiday season.
The following is a quote from the Amer. Heart Assoc. I double checked, after reading your post, to see if I was just wrong in my head or if you and I had a conflict in information.  I agree with you on the definition of NSVT, but wanted to chat about the SVT definition.  See below.

Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a general term describing any rapid heart rate originating above the ventricles, or lower chambers of the heart. SVT is an arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythm. Specific types of SVT include atrial fibrillation, AV nodal re-entrant tachycardia, and Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.

SVT generally begins and ends quickly. Many people experience short periods of SVT and have no symptoms. However, SVT becomes a problem when it occurs frequently or lasts for long periods of time and produces symptoms. Common symptoms associated with SVT include palpitations, light headedness, and chest pain. SVT may also cause confusion or loss of consciousness.

Also, and this is just a wise crack comment, doesn't it seem funny that our heart can beat "out of rhythm" so much?  Wouldn't it be great if it just beat out of rhythm to the point where it had a "normal rhythm?"  I mean, a person marching in a marching band has to be on the right foot at least some of the time :-)

Have a good day!!!
Helloooooooo : 0

You are absolutely right that SVT refers supraventricular tachycardia, but the acronym can also be used for sustained ventricular tachycardia.  Talk about confusing, huh?  One refers to the upper chambers and the other refers to the lower.

Maybe that's why I was never in marching band...hahhahaha!  I like your theory!
Thank you.  That clears it up for me.  I remember being TOTALLY confused with all the acronyms when I first came to this site.  So, when I saw your post I needed verification.  You are right.....confusing!!!  

And yeah.  The marching band thing....I was the drum major, and trust me even the worst band member got into step when their rhythm was off that badly :-)

Back to work.

I too find alot of comfort in reading these posts because like most of you there is no one who can relate (even our cardiologists) when it comes to PVCs and the storms, anxiety, and worry they create. Hey Runman - had to post when I read yours because I too WAS an avid, competetive runner until the PVCs came in March and I had to quit. I couldnt help but notice that you still run so I have a few questions. I quit even though I got the same story as everyone else  - "dont worry, they are benign, youll be fine" answers. My problem was that after a run they would get bad enough to keep me awake and take a while to go away. Couldnt feel them while I was running. My anxiety got so bad about them that I just couldnt face making them worse on purpose.

I am 43 and hope to run again soon. I too have tried everything. I have also been told that this is common among endurance athletes. Do you take any meds for them? Do yours flare up or do you have the so called "storms"? Does it affect your endurance that you can tell? do you run anyway when you are having a bad day (like you said today)? I have talked to other runners with this problem. some say keep running and others have stopped altogether.

My resting heart rate when I quit running was about like yours but has since risen about 10 pm. No difference in occurances so Im not buying the low HR thing your DR said. Any help or advice you can give would be great. I want to run again more than anything but Ive got a big fear to face in doing so. BTW - I have an ablation set up soon to try an take care of these things. I had to insist on it.

Thanks for yours and everyones post on this site. I have receieved alot of encouragement just knowing that Im not alone and my feelings about this are not unjustified. It IS a vicious cycle. I have gone to drastic measures to make the wife and family understand what it is that we go thru when it happens. There isnt anything in life it doesnt affect - nothing. Alcohol does seem to make mine worse but then again sometimes not. Being dehydrated does! Caffiene not so much. Stress at work and not enough sound sleep makes it worse as well. I hope and pray for everyone who suffers from this and hope I can someday help someone cope with it better than I have.
I came across a paper once that showed that the number of PVCs in athletes decreases significantly decreases with deconditioning although I can't remember how long it takes (months I think). Not saying you should stop running of course, just thought it was interesting.
Gotta admit, it's pretty ironic that the drum major "beats to a different drummer."  LOL....That must have been a lot of fun!!  Boy, I miss those Friday night football games, with all that great music!!  
Wow!! Great posts!!  It's very strange...I too am 42...I have enjoyed running since mid 20's but never marathon...I have been getting PVCs since age 18 or so (I think a gallon of Coke or so a day didn't help.)
I have literally had periods of years where I've had ZERO PVCs...like my late twenties early thirties...four years ago I was Rx'd Atenolol and it worked VERY well for me...this spring I ran a charity road race and it got me totally into running to the point where I was running 2.5 daily (for me a lot)  I was feeling great so I started to taper my Aten.  well six weeks or so later I got hit by TONS of PVCs...that was in the summer and I still am going through a tough patch with some days in the thousands...I thank God though as I also have a lot of good days.

As far as the running, my pattern is that I will sometimes get them early in a run then they disappate dramatically..usually by the end of my 2.5 they are gone and I feel fine...

It's odd because then the run seems to "protect me" from PVCs for a few hours where I won't get any...but then they might come back later.

I'm wondering if by lowering my pulse rate with the excercise maybe that precipitated the episodes this year??  I also might have screwed things up by trying to taper off the drug...

My cardio feels strongly that excercise is beneficial...he says that as long as you feel well after the run is over you should not worry and get out there and that's what I do.

Looking back, I was running also in my 20s and 30s with almost no PVCs so I think overall we are better off staying out there.

Be well and stay in touch...

Thanks for your comments....usually when I get a LOT of PVCs I tend to run more and harder....I think it's because I'm angry that I'm getting these and go out to prove I can still run even with them...*I know no one understands that way of thinking except us sufferers....I continue to run even with the PVCs....I do tend to notice that they go away as I get into the run....they sometimes return briefly if I stop to walk or "cool down" some.....My Dr. says that would be somewhat common as my heart is trying to slow down.  I've had all the usual tests, including a stress test followed immediately by an EKG....As I layed down for the EKG I could feel the "skips" as my heart tried to slow....My Dr. didn't even blink an eye....just said, "that's normal!"  It is crazy though because there is so much information that tends to contradict.....like I said, sometimes I can drink tea and or wine for months w/o any PVCs, then lay off tea and wine and the skips return....so there doesn't seem to be anything in particular to solve this problem....wish to hell there was!  *For information, my pharmacist swears that if I take an over the counter antihistimine daily, the skips will eventually stop....He basis his theory on the fact that continuous post nasal drip, etc., increases the irritation to the vagus nerve which in turn effects the heart rate....I'll probably try it....can't hurt....If I were you, I would keep running....I always feel better after the run......again, thanks for the post and hope you all have a good day.
First, thanks for the response. It is encouraging to hear you are still running and Im glad for you. My cardiologist never said to quit running and in fact encrouraged it after he saw an echo. I suppose he was looking for HCM or enlargement. I have avoided antihistimines for years and I dont pretend to understand how the whole of the body works around these PVCs, but that one almost contradicts itself. Let me know how that works. I too have had all the tests and can feel everyone of mine - on the treadmill or the table. Same as yours - "thats normal" - LIKE HELL IT IS! I want to shout. We all want the metronome back.

My ablation is the 6th and I will post the results. Like I said, I had to really press for this procedure - almost insist. I believe it is due to the fact that most cardiologists think that simple PVCs are benign and nothing to worry about and they are probably right - but none of them have to live with it. It is the simplist, least dangerous problem they face in thier day-to-day routines and tend not to get excited about it as much as say......congestive heart failure. Understandable - but not acceptable to me, especially if there is something they can do other than permenant perscription maintenance. Im not ready to accept that. We all need a cure and not just something to suppress our symtoms (symptoms), and that only works some of the time. (I have often been tempted to ask my cardiologist what he does when it happens to him - but prudence and tact win out) OK, sorry, off my soapbox.

I do take several things that I believe help. Fish oil, magnesium, hawthorn extract, multi vits and mins. Especially the fish oil (Omegas). I can certainly tell when I miss them. I also take toprol and it varies form 50 to 125 mg as I need it.

Keep running and I will be there soon - one way or the other. Your positive attitude is contagious, and I mean that to all of you. Thanks again for all your posts and I hope you all have a great, PVC free day. Stay in touch and God bless you all.
One more thing I forgot to tell you....a few years ago, about a week following a marathon, I started to get the pvcs almost constantly.....went to the cardiologist and even though he thought they were insignificant he did ALL the tests again anyway.....his conclusion - wasn't drinking enough water!  Said that all the running probably got my electrolytes out of balance along with not enough water and that causes the pvcs.....so, as you might imagine, I started drinking water almost constantly....they did seem to subside but eventually came back again, even with the water, so who knows.  Just thought I'd let you know.  
I know I have mentioned this before bug gaterade has really reduced my pvc's.  One big glass in the am along with plenty of water all day.  
Again, great info...thanks for sharing...anyone else feel the same with Gatorade?

The thing about antihistamine is fascinating!!  It is weird but I HAVE beentold that I have a constant post nasal drip...it doesn't seem to bother me but that thing about vagal irritation is really intresting!!

I know personally I won't touch the Antihistamine though, as a lot of the OTC stuff will also have a decongestant which I'm afraid will make me jump out of my skin with PVCs.

I'm just VERY leery about OTC stuff as I have had reactions to things...even herbal things like ecchinecia (sp?) have given me a hard time sometimes.  My cardio told me to stay away from herbal stuff as it is unregulated and they can put whatever the heck they want in there...that's all I had to hear...

To runtillidrop...good luck with the ablation...just please for my peace of mind get a couple of opinions beforehand...I had a friend at work who's wife had a difficult time after the ablation as I believe there were some complications during it...I don't want to talk you out of it believe me...I get thousands of these things some days and there are times I would do ANYTHING to stop them...its just that I have heard some folks saying they had them come back afterward or other side effects...

Don't go by me though as I have no real resaerch info on it...just get multiple opinions and lots of info...if you go through with it I hope you never get another PVC again!!!

Let us know how iut goes and God bless you all!!
Thanks for your responses....this forum really helps when I get down about the pvcs....you would think that after 40 or so years with this that I would be able to handle it but as all of you know, it's easier said then done....my wife doesn't have them and I don't mention it to her anymore because she just says something like, "the doctor says it can't hurt so forget about it."  They DON'T understand do they?  Anyway, I do take fish oil every day and a calcium/magnesium supplement but who knows if it helps or not....like everyone says, we can go days, weeks, etc., without any pvcs and then they show up.....I drink a glass or two of iced tea every day and went for months without skips and then, of course, they showed back up with a vengence so I start wondering about the caffine in the tea....so I cut it out for a few days and suffer with headaches....then sometimes I go back to the tea and the pvcs stop....so who the HELL knows what it's all about.....but on the positive side, I keep running....my running partner is also my family doctor....when I mention the pvcs to him he just looks at me and says "everyone gets those" and we keep running.....running a marathon this Sunday so I'll post again on Tuesday and give a "pvc" report.  Thanks again to all of you for making me feel better and more confident....hope you have a great weekend.
You guys who get all these pvc's and yet keep on exercising are a great inspiration. I need to lose around 30lbs, but I am scared of exercising because the idea that there is something wrong with my heart is very deep seated. So, I am scared of damaging my heart by doing the very thing that will actually help it, ie. exercise. Time to make a change and start some gentle exercise, I think. Best wishes.
Go ahead and start exercising....running is the best release I have ever found for lots of things, including the PVC's.....I always end a run with the knowledge that i'll be all right....of course, i often return to those old frightening feelings when I'm just sitting around and the pvcs return.... my cardiologist would be angry with me if i stop running.  As a matter of fact, when i go for my annual appointment he takes me around to the other doctors, nurses, etc., and reminds them that i run a lot.  Wish I could can his optimism and reassurances and have it with me all the time....I try but like the rest of you, that doesn't always work.  Good luck and start exercising....I guarantee you'll feel better.
I'm with runman all the way...although I am MUCH lower on distance than he...runiing will make you feel alive and it is a good way to shove it down the PVC's throat...

Just get a physical first and start SLOW...always walk and warm up before a run...and ENJOY!!
has anyone had cryoablation for there atrial fibrillation ?
Well, I'm back from the marathon....very few pvcs while running, but that's pretty normal for me....however, since the marathon have had many.....that's common for me as well....think it's a combination of extensive exercise followed by extreme tiredness, dehydration and my entire body getting back to normal....are the pvcs bothering me mentally - of course and i TRY very hard to ignore them, but as you all can relate, that's not easy.....have been drinking water and gatorade constantly to see if everything calms down.......i try and tell myself after each marathon or just a daily run that i'm still here so they can't be so bad......hope all of you had a good weekend.
Congrats on the marathon!!  You might want to try adding a bit of potassium (not too much) to your daily diet.  If MAY help calm the pvcs.  My doctor suggested bananas and cantelope when my K was off.

To those of you who have kept running with your arrhythmias, have you experienced light headedness and dizziness?  I used to run about 40 miles a week and had to stop the last little while because the Cardizem (calcium channel blocker) stopped working.  Anytime I run I get this awful lumpy feeling in my throat and become very breathless - it is very difficult to run with any kind of intensity.  When I stop, I need something to hold onto in case I pass out.  I can do lighter workouts at the gym but it's definitely not the same and I am missing my "addiction" very, very much.  At rest, my heart is all over the place but at least I'm not feeling like I'll faint.

Runtilidrop, a friend of mine sent me an article from the British Journal of Medicine that stated athletic males are 5.5 more likely to develop arrhythmias than the general population.  The study wasn't done on females but I assume it's the same for us.  The EP guy I saw last week told me they see a lot of runners and arent' sure why but it's speculated to be due to our low heart rate.  Did I read it right that you are having your 6th ablation?  You must be multifocal (as I am).  I'm scheduled to have my first and was told I had an 80% chance of a cure.  I sure hope so because it will feel great to get my life back.

Anybody who doesn't go through this has no idea how life altering it can be.
I don't run nearly as much as you guys so I'm probably not a good judge.  I do 2.5 miles about 5 times a week...

I would say that if I get skips during my run, it is in the early stages of my run..Starting off by walking DEFINETLEY HELPS...and then I can build up and enjoy the run...

I don't really get too many symptoms after, and I usually feel good afterwards...sometimes they will even "prevent" my PVCs for a few hours.

Your right they are life altering and they can get me depredsed...especially on those 5,000 days.  

But my short runs always give me a brighter outlook.
Just returned from the ER with my daughter who is an RN.  Decided it was time to put me on the heart monitor and see these "PVC's" herself!  Not a real bad night tonight but I was having about 3-4 a minute.  A lot less than last night.  Just wondering if they make any of you tired?  I feel like I just want to lay down and sleep all the time!
Two days ago I had he surgery for SVT.  My experience was very positive.  I had the twilight med, but was asked frequently how I was and if I was having pain.  No problem while the instrument was being positioned, but I asked for additonal med at the time of the actual ablation.  You shouldn't have to experience pain.  Recovery seems to be going extremely well for me.
Can anyone please help me out on this... I think I'm starting to get PVC ... Like every 10 min my heart start to jump.. Is very depressing... First I get dizzy and then comes the PVC... I went to the ER but they said is nothing.. I just started to get HBP... Maybe is that..??
I am 75 years old, I have PVC's, sometimes bad (every other beat) but mostly every 4 or 5 beats, sometimes last for several days.

I have had 2 heart attacks, one massive (damaged 75% of the muscle on the left side of my heart.  !!PVC's DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME HAVING THE HEART ATTACK!!!

First of all before I give you some fatherly advice let me say this:  I have no medical training, and what I say is based on my experience ONLY.

Again, the first thing you MUST do is get a "Holter Monitor" test to confirm your PVC's are benign.

The next thing you must understand is that PVC's feed off of anxiety, in otherwords the more PVC's you have,the more depressed you get, and the more depressed you get the more PVC's.. .get the point.

To better undrstand what "I" think PVC's are, I will ask you a question.

Have you ever talked on a cell phone and got an echo.
(I am qualified to tell you this, I taught communications electronics for many years).  The echo is the same signal traveling two different paths,  one path being greater in distance than the other.  This also holds true if you yell inside a large empty building, the sound is reflected back from multiple places(different distances).

Do you think this might be true?  The Sinus Node of the heart sends it's signal out to the various parts of the heart with a chemical/electrical impulse through tissue and over time, a second path is developed, maybe conductive enough to carry the signal sometimes, and at a different distance, and enough out of phase for one to cancel the other???  From an electronics standpoint it sounds reasonable.

Bottom Line.

If you have PVC's, and they have been confirmed with the Holter Monitor, just put them out of your mind, they are not going to hurt you.. .the more you dwell on them the worse they will get.  At night Tylenol helps me do this.
If they are really bad, sleep in your recliner setting upright, this also seems to help me.

Last comment.  I expect to die in the next 20 years, but I do not expect to die of PVC's.

Sleep tight; roger-***@****

Hi ROger, thanks for a great post :-)

My understanding of PVCs is that the signal originates in the ventricles.  The ventricles are so important to life that nature gave them backup pacer cells in case they don't get the signal from the SA node.  

Another way to think of how important the ventricles are, people can live a long time with the atriums in a-fib.  ventricular-fib, it's lights out before you hit the floor.

Consider this, if the ventricular pacer cells don't get an SA sginal for a long enough period of time, they will fire an "escpae beat" to keep at least most of the heart working.

Pretty neat!  I'm an IT guy myself, and I like to have backups for my backups for my backups.

But when these pacer cells act up when not required, you get the premature ventricular contraction, which in the presence of a normal sinus rythym is going to give you a good thump and pause.  How they feel dpends on the timing of the firing during normal sinus rythym.  early in the  NSR phase will feel much differently than late in the NSR phase and we're talking maybe 360 millisecond window.

There's a bunch of reasons that can make ventricular pacers act up when they shouldn't.  Chemical sensitivity, a decrease in oxygen levels being supplied to the heart, sympathetic nervous system acting up, stess-anxiety, I think depression and it's physiological effects can also perk them up.
I am sitting here after an ER visit yesterday "you are fine" was what they said.  I am an RN and I thought it was allergy medication I has recently started , so I stopped it and my heart kept jumping all over the place.  PVC's like 2-3/minute and way worse at night....I haven't slept.  I am so tired and so scared....I know that they are normal for everyone, but just a minor few feel them....I am 27 and this has NEVER happened to me before.  I had a very mild heart murmur when I was young, but other than that nothing it resolved on it's own.  How do you get to sleep??????  They wake me up and I feel like I am going to die.  
It is 5:30 AM, and I still haven't slept!  PVC have been keeping me awake, and it is driving me insane.  I am 5 months pregnant, and they have been torturing me for the last 2 months.  I am taking metoprolol, which  seems to do nothing to help.  One thing that often helps me is magnesium.  My cardiologist said that it helps the electrical functions of the heart to work better.  There is a particular brand called Calm, which is in a powder form.  You mix it with hot water and drink it like tea.  It usually works wonders for me.....just not tonight!  Try it - I hope it helps!  Co-Q 10 is also helpful.  Good luck!
I have been reading everyone's post, and believe me, Im feeling much better.  I had my daughter 3 1/2 years ago and right away suffered from post-partum pre- eclampsia.  I was hospitalized for about 5 days with high blood pressure and an extremely low heart rate ( low 30's). After I was stablalized and "fixed", I was just sent home on blood pressure meds.  All was well for a few months when I began developing PVC's.  They became more and more frequent coming about 1 every few min lasting a few days.  I was put on Verapamil and nothing more until Feb of this year.  Once again Ive done all the testing only to be told nothing was wrong.   They are much more frequent this time coming every 3 or 4 beats.  I ended up in the hosp for a couple days about 3 weeks ago, where my cardi could actually watch them happening.  Finally, he sees what Ive been fussing about.  These lasted about 4 days and were coming every 3rd beat or so.  Nothing makes you want to give up like these damn things do.  Ultimatley, I was put on Nadolol and until today, I didnt have any.  After seeing my cardio yesterday, Im being switched to Acebutolol due to headaches and nadolol making my H.R. too low.  Has anyone had any experience with either of these meds?  Im starting to wonder now if it has anything to do with my period.  I read a lot about them being related, and after looking at my log of episodes, they have been coming about a week before my period each time.  Uuuuggghhhh!  I hate this!  Its hard for me to even function as a mother or a wife anymore.  I just want to curl up and stay away from everyone.  No one around me understands the intensity of these things.  Thanks for the lending ear.  Its important to know you are not alone and Im working hard on not letting them stress me out and taking over my life.  
I have been were you are, not wanting to do anything,  before I started Atenlol I felt the same way I had papitation 24/7 every minute of the day.   I had an ablation for Afiv and SVT but they could not get the pvc's.  The Atenolol has made a huge difference, I now get pvcs occasionally.  I just lowered my dose to 12.5mg and still good.   Good Luck, you will find a med that hopefully works for you
My wife read some of these tonight and she has a much better understanding of the situation and that maybe I'm not going crazy!

Thanks for sharing your story.  The last 4 days have been terrible and Ive gone from thinking about the emr to just giving up completely.  Your comments have helped a lot.

Thanks and God Bless
I am assuming your PVCs are benign and presumabaly originating from the right outflow tract.

While they are indeed disconcerting 500 a day is not  alot of PVCs, particularly when you think that the heart beats over 100,000 time a day.

That is the good news, if you were having more than 4,000 a day, then I would consider ablation. I had an ablation for PVCs in excess of 16,000 a day and have never looked back. It changes your whole quality and perspective of life.

PVCs have a hbit of waxing and wanaing and it seems unfair that some people actually feel the PVC while the vast majority of people do not.  At any rate, they will not kill you.  

Have you tried magnesium and taurine as an adjunct therapy. It works for some people.

You will probably find that with exercise the PVCs diminish which is a perfectly natural thing to occur as the natural pacemaker of the heart takes over.

Jonesy
Hey everyone, just looking up my heart problem and found yawl all, wow what a mirracle to be able to read what's been going on in your own life from another, and be ablie to share it gosh it's just neat is all. I'd give my cell number to anyone who just needed to talk about it, (PVC'S) I have a DR. in the family so it help's some to hear,,your not going to die from it,,,but nothing like another who has the same thing. I do know this I was 13 when I first had the problem, I can remember going to my Mother and saying, mom my Hearts trying to quit, she listened to it and said it's beating fine go and play so I did, and as I've got older it's got worse it seem's. But I also know myself I smoke (dumb) I know and use to drink up too a fifth when I use to rodeo, haven't drank in about eight years now but I made them worse at times and have my life style to blame at first,,rest and try and not stress and NO soda's seem to really help and I also have faith in God to heal anything, so I just wanted to say thanks for the site and if anyone ever need's to just talk email me at ***@****, I'll give out my number,,God bless you all, and stay strong and never give up!!
This is an incredibly encouraging site.  I have frequent PVC's and PSVT's.  Much of the time I'm fine, but when it's bad, I freak out.  I know I should ignore it, but it's hard when it's happening.  It makes me feel better to come and read about everyone else who is doing ok and living with it.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
I haven't actually been to a heart doctor yet but I've experienced like my heart skips a beat and it happens over and over and it sounds like PVC's but how does one deal with these?
Hello everyone.
I am laying her awake because PVC's will not let me sleep. I can see I am not alone with the disruptiveness of these things. I have 3rd degree AV block and a dual pacemaker after suffering a sudden idiopathic cardiac arrest in August of 2008. I have had two instances of pericarditis and a problem with PVC'S since then. My perception has been that they are getting worse. My last pacemaker interrogation revealed 1,300,000 PVC's and about 60 runs of multiples which are very unpleasant to say the least in the period since the previous check (6 months). I recently made a cardiologist's appt. ( for January) due to episodes of feeling as though I'm blacking out while standing. My Bp is low normal even on metorprol twice a day. The metorprolol used to control them better than it does now. I have gained weight on this stuff and hate it. I also have SLE (lupus) and am on immune suppressants. When in long runs of PVC's I find a shot or rarely two of nitro sl smartens them up although that in itself can drop the bp so I rarely take that route unless I'm home and sitting and my pulse feels strong and within normal range. My pulse can be erratic as my heart attempts to initiate a beat and pacing takes place 65% of the time in the atria and 100% of the time in the ventricles. (then the PVC'S get in the act. Does anyone here also have 3rd degree AV block, a pacemaker and had an ablation? I feel this may be Russian roulette in my circumstances but these PVC's are driving me crazy. They don't like when I lay down, bend over, get angry, or my breath changes.....I am not an anxious person but have a pretty high stress level due to lfe circumstances.... comments welcomed..please  esp. respond if you have a pacemaker and similiar situation. I am 53 and female.. thank you!
just a quick thought...maybe a med change is in order so talk to your dr - metoprolol makes my bp tank big time but I found Inderal extended release works well for my arrhythmia's and not as many breaththroughs with pvc's/vt runs

I don't have an AV block but have gone through quite a bit where I had to have a PM/ICD implanted after my ablation.

1.3 mil in 6 months comes out roughly to about 7200 daily if my math is right this early in the am =) my last ICD check I'm about 10,000 pvc's daily and 1,000 pac's and NSVT runs at least once a day with high HR's

definitely worth checking out with your dr to make sure a new pathway hasn't formed or something else isn't going on
Know how you feel, tag. Pretty amazing to find this place and know how many people are going through this. I'm 55 and for much of my adult life have had occasional heart rhythm issues, and even went through a bout of arrythmia about 18 years ago. But it was only this summer I started getting these PVCs on a regular basis. I went to the emergency room after about a week of mental anguish and it was the same like everybody else. After a battery of tests (including a stress test during which it DISAPPEARED temporarily) indicated that my heart was in good shape, the doctors diagnosed it as bigeminy right away. They tried to assure me that it was harmless, and also told me that it would come and go. It did go away the next day, and it stayed gone for about two months, but then returned again in September, went away, came back in early November, went away, and now it's been back again for about week, just in time for Christmas! Yes! Each time I worry that it won't go away at all, and I'm just praying that this episode ends sometime soon. I'm lucky, I guess, that I can bring myself some "normal" feeling by walking or exercising, but that doesn't do me any good when I'm lying in bed or even sitting and watching TV. I try to convince myself to smile and block out that thud from the second quick beat, but it isn't easy. I just feel like there's something not right with me, and it leaves me with a feeling of despair and depression. My question is, has anybody ever actually been able to not feel weird with that bigeminy beat? I tell myself, hey, at least it feels like it's beating slow. When I was young, my problem was too fast of a heartbeat. That's a lot more frightening, I guess.
"My question is, has anybody ever actually been able to not feel weird with that bigeminy beat?"

The answer is yes. What you are experiencing is anxiety or possibly even panic as a result of strange physical sensations.

Since your ectopic beats are not dangerous--and you know that on some level, because you can go about your 'normal' activities to make yourself feel normal, and you understand that you are not going to die when you try this, right?--the solution is address the anxiety.  Not the symptoms, but the anxiety about them.

On December 27, make an appointment with a psychiatrist who specializes in treating anxiety.  If he/she suggests psychoactive meds for a while to get you over the hump, take them--unless you want to continue wasting years like this.

In short, put yourself in the hands of the right professional.  With correct treatment, you WILL become much less aware of these sensations, and in fact they may actually diminish in frequency.