Heart Rhythm Community
question

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

question

is left ventricular diastolic dysfunction actually heart failure?

i have done a lil online research and i'm not sure
Yes and no. It's usually a consequence of left ventricle hypertrophy (which I assume you may have considering your previous posts).

Diastolic dysfunction means your heart isn't able to relax and fill with blood as well as it's supposed to. When you have left ventricle hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction, your heart muscle is "tense".

It's often an indication that your BP should be taken seriously and some risk factors need to be corrected. Not to diagnose you (I can't do that....) but the combination of high BP, LVH, diastolic dysfunction and A-fib is really common and often a sign of overweight and stress. Does this apply to you?

There are degrees of diastolic dysfunction, where some of them are considered diastolic heart failure, yes. But the most important thing to do is to correct the risk factors, and you should ask your physician.
overweight stress and high bp all yes but no a-fib it was thought that i had it but my dr. said no and my dr tells me the dysfunction is nothing to worry about. yea right i say