racing heart beat during sleep
I woke up from my sleep with a racing heart for about a few minutes.  Then I was focusing on it, so my heart wasn't racing but I was aware of my own heartbeat.  I have been to the doctor several times & had done :EKG, wore a holter monitor, ultrasound where they inject you with a saline solution to check your valves.  I was diagnosed with MVP, PVC, I also have a Patent Foraman Orvale.  These episodes are a little disconcerting, but I guess I have to live with it.  Heart issues run in my family, mostly fluttering/palpitations.  My Dad has atrial fibrilation.  I don't want to keep going to the doctor, they might think I am over-reacting.  Should this be something I should be worried about?  I don't get these episodes that often, about every few years or so.  Does anyone else experience these symptoms?
I dont get what you do, but with the things you mentioned (foraman orvale--no idea what that is) I would just go back and tell them you want to catch it (if possible). I have learned as have others, a good doctor will not be upset that you want to know whats going on. If a doctor makes you feel like an annoyance to him---Cindy on here says in summary to kick him to the curb. I will be interested to hear what others say about this--
aaaah, you used big words to describe it--lol
How severe is your patent foramen ovale?  Do you have symptoms?  Have you been told it should be repaired?
Yarrow-most doctors just call it a hole in the heart. Referring to it as such will help others reading this understand without having to look it up.
Looking things up is a good thing.  Understanding is impossible without it.
Yarrow :)
My heart races during sleep and has been caught on monitor at it's fastest during my sleep (160+ BPM). It is terrifying! The nights they have caught it that fast did'nt wake me, but I have been jarred awake by racing and erratic rythyms. I also have slight regurgitation which is considered by some to be a mild form of MVP. I have had all the heart tests and they tell me my crazy, annoying heart will outlive me. I sure hope so...but in the meantime I'm letting life pass me by wondering if this will be the palp that kills me. I was adopted at birth and when I located my birth family a few years ago, I was told my maternal grandmother complained her whole life of her heart fluttering. She died at 84 from CHF and they found a small congenital hole in her heart at that time. She is the only one on either side with any heart problems and I am the only grandchild out of 9 that got her bad genes! It's funny b/c she was the one who insisted her daughter give me up b/c she had shamed their family and I'm the one who gets her medical history!
Your comment made me laugh! (about you being like your grandmother). Boy oh boy--you wrote that whold thing just how I talk. lol My parents tell me how blessed I was because I was the only one out of all the kids that was planned. I ask them how come I was the only one out of all the kids that got a ton of health problems. :)
My patent foraman ovale is a mild case.  And I have no symptoms.  Does not need to be repaired.  
I have VT runs during sleep, but also during the day too.  I've been told many have them during sleep and this is common during different phases of sleep.

Luckily I know what's going on because my pacemaker/icd catches these episodes, I've had1 - 5 runs of NSVT every few nights (160 - 195 bpm) which scares the daylights out of me because at 220bpm my ICD will shock me.  I wake up not able to breathe and been told mine is from sleep apnea.  

Have you been checked for Sleep Apnea? if not it may be a good idea to rule it out.
I haven't had any symptoms for the past few nights.  I started taking a valarian & hops supplement, has been helping.  I think it mostly has to do with stress.