reasons for abnormal ekg?
Hi all-

question:  i recently had an ekg and was told that it was "abnormal" so I sought the advice of a cardiologist.  we did an echo and a 24hour holter monitor.  The doctor said both the echo and holter were "normal."

So on my 2 week follow up appointment they did another ekg b/c my pulse was a little high and when i asked the doctor "was my ekg normal today?" he said "it was normal.  don't worry"  and then he quickly moved away from the subject as if he didnt want to answer any more questions.

Long story short, even though I've been told by the cardiologist (who is very good, by the way) that my heart is showing normal function, I'm still going to get a second opinion from an electrophysicist cardiologist.

My question for you all is - 1) based on your respective conditions, do your EKGs always show up as "abnormal" or do they show up as "normal"?
2)  what are the reasons that a doctor would classify an EKG as "abnormal?"

I did ask the cardiologist if we could do another holter monitor for maybe 48 hours and he said "it would be a waste of time and money.  your heart is normal."  I think that this should make me feel really GOOD but for some reason I don't have peace with this.  And we know our bodies better than anyone else or any machines, right.  

The doctor wants me to get checked for anxiety so I'm seeing a psych doctor next week.  
Question 3) any good success stories from you all on good anti-anxiety drugs?

Thanks so much.
An abnormal test result could be caused by anything from "white coat syndrome" mean that your pulse rate increases as many peoples do during testing or via a visit to a doctor or medical facility.  The other thing is that the leads on the ekg may not have been placed properly on the body thus tossing out an abnormal result .  The bottom line is that if you know this doc, trust this doc, and they have a good rep. i would say it is up to you whether or not you choose to accept their opinion.  When you say your pulse was a little high what was it?  Studies show you are within normal limits if your pulse runs between 70-120 altho i personally believe that the latter is pushing it...for myself i had issues where my pulse raced into the 300's and i had to see an EP doc for a correction.  I think it may just be where you yourself feel comfortable and a second opinion definately does not hurt anyone but tends to put fears at rest....good luck w. your EP appt.
Call your dr's office and request a copy of the ekg's - they may have you send in a written request also - for your records but also to give you peace of mind that they were normal.

11/05 normal EKG; 4/07 Abnormal EKG, 11/08 Normal EKG; 6/2009 Abnormal EKG, 7/2009 Abnormal EKG, 8/22/09 Normal EKG, 8/26/09 Abnormal EKG

You can have a false negative or a false positve ekg - my EKG on 4/07 showed all kinds of stuff that my PCP then, told me was "normal" but a review of it in 7/2009 by my cardiologist & EP said he was wrong - it was abnormal.  

On 8/22/09 I had a normal EKG - where I was monitored all night for a sleep study; all normal Ekg's every 30 minutes - yet I was having over 50,000 pvc's; mvp; TR; LVH; and ekg's were still normal; baffling not only me but my dr's [shrugs] my heart's a bit quirky :P though.
Mine come back as abnormal, then list "sinus arrhythmia" as the issue.  Sinus arrhythmia has nothing to do with my actual condition.  If you google "sinus arrhythmia", you will learn that not only is it normal, it's beneficial.  go figure!

The gap here seems to be that you know "abnormal" was listed on an EKG and now you are just being told everything is cool.  So what happened to the abnormal...?  Maybe i'm oversimplifying.    It sounds to me like poor communication by the cardiologist.  It might be easier to call them up instead of starting all over with a 2nd opinion?
Years ago, I needed back surgery. Of course you have to have test before hand to have the surgery. When they did the ekg, I was told I had to be cleared by my doctor to have the surgery. My doctor checked out the ekg and explained to me that it is normal for me because I am a hypothyroid patient.  Which show that just before an up beat of my heart rate I have a small jog down before it. It is common for hypothyroid patients to have this.