Heart Rhythm Community
resting tachycardia, query PAC, Hx hypotension, syncope, pre-syncope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hey

I'm a 20 year old female and have a BP of 90/50 - 110/60 and a resting HR of 100-130bpm. This has increased from 80-90bpm in the last year with no significant weight or lifestyle changes. O2 sats are 98%. For a long time I've experienced the "skipped" heart beat but I've being experiencing abnormal awareness of my heartbeat more often over the last 1.5 years, to the point it's woken me from my sleep on occasions. My heartbeat can be uncomfortably strong at times, although more often this is after an increased alcohol/caffeine intake. The skipped beats are a daily occurrence but their frequency increases in times of stress and increased alcohol/caffeine intake. The "return" beat (after missing a beat) is quite forceful. Once it felt like my heart punched me in the chest it was so forceful. A dull ache/weakness down the length of my left arm is observed occasionally, once again especially in times of stress or increased alcohol/caffeine intake. I experienced one episode of I don't know what a year ago, I can best describe it as if all my heart muscle "bubbled" for about 3-4 seconds. Pre-syncope has increased in the last 6 months with 2 episodes of syncope in the last year. No known family history of cardiac problems, although my mother has a history of hyperthyroidism. I have never had an ECG or Echo or anything like that performed or had a consult by a cardiologist.

Would like to hear you guys thoughts on this and if you have any similar experiences, explanations or suggestions.
Thank you muchly :)
I think you NEED to go to a cardiologist and atleast do a stress test, echo and a 24 hr holter monitor. I think you will have lot of answers and peace of mind after that.
I have alot of the same problems and a lot of people say to have an echo done and if you have a good one then they shouldn't hurt you. I have had these problems I would get some tests done to be safe.
Thanks guys :) just needed someone to tell me I wasn't fussing unnecessarily. I'll post whatever the doc says about it.
so my doctor did a cardiac exam and found no suggestion of abnormal structure so my skipped beats are quite likely benign, it's up to the cardiologist if he wants a holter monitor put on anyway, i'm also awaiting his report on an ecg, which appeared mostly normal apart from sinus tachycardia, and a full set of bloods. all in all my heart seems fine! :)
that's great;..i would still suggest you to request your dr. for a 24 hr holter. even if dr. thinks it's unnecessary. Also HR of 100-130 is not normal...i have similar problem..so i am talking from my experience..it will continue to provoke anxiety in you when you have fast HR...so if you get atleast those test it will give you a peace of mind ..and you can be confident...talk to ur dr. what to do with just resting high HR and is it dangerous in short run/long run? i have almost similar problem. and let us know the update...goodluck
I would ask the doctor about the condition dysautonomia which is an issue in the brains ability to regulate the bp.  You seem to have low bp which could be the cause of the presyncope.  The skipped beats are considered normal but regardless if we beleive that or not they are not a danger to you.  A resting heart rate consistenly at 130 is not healthy and needs to be addressed.  But it may be as simple as adding a lot more water to your diet as well as adding in some sodium.  This may help bring up your bp and low your heart rate as a consequence.  You should also have your thyroid checked as issues like hyperthyroidism can cause a rise in heart rate. Considering your mother has it you should be definitely checked for it.  So go and see your gp and possibly a cardilogsit to get this evaluated and maybe avoid caffiene if you can, switch to decaffinated as well drink lots and lots of water during and after you drink alchohol.  Maybe even get yourself some gatorade and see if that helps.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are.
hey..any update on your result?
not yet, i have an appointment in 2 weeks with my gp to get the results of the bloods and the cardiologist's report.. I'll post an update as soon as I get it :) Thanks for staying interested!
ok do update us..