second ablation question
Hi, I am a 60 yr old male and developed afib about 5 years ago. I have tried every ************** on the market including tikosyn with very poor results. My afib started out as chronic but has progressed to permanent. I had an ablation about 2 years ago and it reduced the afib episodes considerably but not completely while taking 400mg of pacerone daily after the proceedure. I have spoken to my EP and he is scheduling a repeat ablation although I am aware of the risks associated with this proceedure. I'm now taking 400 mg of pacerone and 100mg of metoprolol daily but the afib continues to plague me.  Has anyone had a repeat proceedure and seen good results?
I personally have had only one ablation for my a-fib and flutter and thankfully I am having still enjoying NSR, however I have read on a different forum about people who have had two ablations and the results have been successful. Good luck.
Hi redeye001,

I've have two ablations, but not for afib.  Wish I could help more, but what I can tell you is that sometimes it does take more than one procedure.  Has your doctor commented on the likelihood of this resolving the persistent Afib?  Have you ever been successfully cardioverted?
    Although my ablation was successful for a fib the first time, my EP cautioned me in advance of the procedure that many patients need another.  So it sounds like second ablations are fairly normal.
   Hopefully the next one will fix your problem.  
Hi, and thank you for your replies. My EP has not commented that the repeat proceedure will resolve the afib. I see him in a week and I will ask him my chances. I feel a bit pessimistic since I've failed to respond to any of the meds used to treat the condition. He did mention that the ekg showed that the problem was occuring on both sides of the heart and he would ablate both sides this time which would take 5 or 6 hours. during the first proceedure he said he only ablated one side so hopefully doing both sides may be the answer. All I can recall from the first ablation is that the recovery was not very pleasant for the first 8 hours but after that I was fine.
I have had 5 ablations with some success. I needed them because none of the antiarthymics would work and I could feel my heart bounce around in my chest. This time around my dr. was able to start me on Tikosyn, so far so good. I just started 6 days ago so ask me in about a year. My Cardiologist is the absolute best in this part of the country, so if you want to get rid of a-fib, he is the one to see. E-mail me at ***@**** if you want is name.
your email was blocked out bu the site, but would love to know the name of you doc.  Are you allowed to write it down here?
Thx.
After a catheter ablation for A-flutter 8 days ago, my symptoms have resumed - heart rate between 110 - 120 constantly. Other than some increasing frustration, I barley notice the condition. I have resumed normal work hours but suspended travel which is usually quite heavy in my job.

Awaiting advice from Doc but expect it will be new meds (with possible hospitalization, he noted) with 2nd ablation in a few weeks. Question is whether doing nothing is an option?
I know of a man that lives permanently in a-fib. Instead of rhythm control (trying to do away with the a-fib all together) he's doing well with rate control (keeping the overall rate lower). He works, exercises, travels. He knows it's there but is pretty comfortable.

Perhaps another ablation will work for you. If not, you could talk to the doctor about rate control so you don't feel so uncomfortable.