Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
septal infarct

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

septal infarct

I RECENTLY HAD AN ECG DONE AND IT CAME BACK THAT I HAD HAD A SEPTAL INFARCT.  EXCACTLY WHAT IS THAT?  DO I NEED TO SEE A CARDIOLOGIST?  MY PCP DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.  I POINTED OUT THE RESULTS OF THE TEST AND ALL SHE SAID WAS THAT I HAD A HEART ATTACK SOMETIME.  ALSO, I HAVE COPD.

THANKS
MA52
Tags: septal
EKGs are a good screening test.  Septal MIs or heart attacks are not always actually the remnants of an old heart attack.  It often has to do with EKG lead position or rotation of the heart.  It is possible that you had a septal heart attack, but further test are required to determine that.  If there are any questions as to whether you had a heart attack, it is probably a good idea to see a cardiologist.

I hope this helps.