shortness of breath, palpitations, chest discomfort, pressure, exercise induced
Hello, my doc says my symptoms are because of deconditioning. I started with these symptoms a few years ago and they occurred seldom but always with some exertion during my walks. Now they happen from just running across the road or up the stairs. Sometimes I feel light headed and my chest feels tight, sometimes it hurts alot.  I was told this was exercise induced asthma because I will wheeze at times and cough and there is always palpitations. My pulmonary function test showed no difference in the breathing before or after the inhaler so now I am told I have no asthma. My exercise stress test showed preventricular contractions and I couldn't complete the test but then normal people have these I am told.  I have a physical job where I walk alot. I don't drink or smoke, I'm a female 50's This is very frustrating as I was told to push myself harder. Anyone with similar symptoms please respond. By the way I was just sent an interesting article where a woman had all these symptoms and nothing showed up on all her tests until an angiogram and then it was found her artery was almost fully blocked.
thanks all
You don't mention whether you've had any testing done.  ie. EKG, blood work, etc.  But let's assume that your cardiac and pulmonary functions are relatively normal.  About the stress test.  This is not something that you're supposed to complete.  Just about everybody fails at some point in the test.  The best I've down before punching out was 12 minutes.  Did you get a report on the thest?  Was an echo cardiogram done immediately following the test?  If you have a green light from your professionals, then you have to push harder.  When you hit that wall, you literally have to push it further out.  I'm a realist; you never get over the wall.  It's always looming out there.  But you can push it further out, so the next time you have at it, you can go further before you reach it.  Pushing it is painful, and distressing. If you stop when you hit this wall, improvement will be painfully slow.  But I find there's nothing like hitting the mark that you formerally failed at, and realize that you've still got a lot left in the tank.  My advice to you is first get the ok to do some cardio.  Then start walking. Set up a standard route on the road or distance on a treadmill.  Start keeping a log of your time and distance.  Start with one mile.  When the pace you're doing starts to feel easier, turn it up a little.  When you hit say... a 17 minute mile, push it out to a  mile and a half.  You may have to drop the pace a little, but soon you 'll be able to do the entire distance at a quick pace.  Keep repeating this and you'll be in excellent shape in no time.  Another suggestion.  If you're overweight, it's time to cut the carbs.  I'd eliminate them from my diet as much as possible.  I call it "White Death",   Avoid sugar, rice, flour, pasta, spuds.  Included in there are peas, most beans.  It's amazing when you get out of the carbohydrate haze, and start buring fat.  The energy level goes up and there's a noticable pep that you didn't have before.  Read up on low cab diets.  You need to do this for your health!