Heart Rhythm Community
skipped beats and tachycardia after ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I had a catheter ablation for avnrt 5 weeks ago.  I am still experiencing occasional skipped beats and also some rapid beats (2-8 in a row) that feel like the old svt. These rapid beats occur about every other day.  Today I also felt several irregular beats before starting into several seconds of what felt like svt. Is this normal?    Could the irregular beats have been several skipped beats in a row?   They only lasted a few seconds, but I had an episode of a-fib a few weeks before the ablation, which the ep felt was probably caused by the svt, so I am worried that the short irregular beats could have been a-fib again. I know that skipped beats and rapid heart beats can occur for a few weeks after the ablation, but I'm getting concerned that this is going on too long.
Hi Annie,

It is normal to get irregular beats after the ablation.  I had one 5 months ago.  I was told it could take 6 months for the heart to heal.  I would get little runs of svt also and my ep told  me its the heart trying to go the old path but it can't so it goes to the new path.  I had them the worst the first 3 months.  Then they subsided.   I was advised if they last a few seconds not to get myself crazy over it.  It sounds like your having the same thing a few beats and then it finds the new path.   It should improve as your heart heals.  5 weeks is not a long enough time for your heart to heal from being poked and prodded.

Good Luck!
Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for your response!  I feel much better knowing that someone else had the same symptoms as me.  My svt runs only last a few seconds and then stop on their own, so what you said about the heart trying to go back to the old pathway makes sense.  And the irregular beats also only lasted a few seconds didn't feel nearly as awful as the afib episode did two months ago, but I was just concerned cause I really don't want the afib to come back!  I have my follow-up appointment with my ep in three weeks, so knowing you had the irregular beats and short svt runs like me will help keep me from worrying so much until I see him!

Thank you!
Glad I could calm you down.  I was the same way after my ablation every little flutter I was upset thinking my ablation did not work. As you did I came to the forum looking for reassurance.  Things will calm down more and then one day you will be shocked that your heart is normal.   Keep us updated!
Agrees with the rest of you. I feel like I'm often checking my pulse rate just to make sure it's normal. I had several intense a-fib episodes the night of the ablation, and a few flutters here and there.
I don't feel so hot today and my first thought was "OH NO, something's gone wrong. I've probably got a malfunction in my heart from the ablation (5 wks ago). I had to talk myself down and realize I have a little cold and my heart is fine. I think after years of having a-fib and an irregular heartbeat, it's going to take awhile to realize something has changed and we can relax.
I'm working on it, and it sounds like everyone else is too.
Wishing each of you the best! And thank God for technology and people who are skilled in using it...
Well I had a run today that lasted 17 beats which seemed a little high to me so I called the ep and he wants me to pick up a 48 hour monitor tomorrow.  Am soooo down about this!  I wanted to just be done with the whole arrhythmia problem.  UGH....
Don't give up hope yet Annie!  Its too early for that!   I hope the monitor catches whats going on!   Keep us updated!
Well I called the doctor's office again this afternoon and asked if I could please come in and get the monitor today, because my heart was going crazy and I wanted to capture it on the monitor.  Was afraid if I waited til tomorrow it might have subsided. They were extremely accomodating and had me come in and get hooked up today.  Then the nurse also did an ekg while I was there to get an immediate reading of what was going on, which I really appreciated. I was having a ton of PACs, but blessedly not atrial fibrillation.  That was a huge relief!  But I was getting several PACs every minute, which was not very pleasant.  I wonder now if the "17 svt beats" that I thought I felt earlier were actually a run of PACs.  Can you get that many in a row??  Not sure!  As much as I don't want to get another run of svt-like beats, I am really hoping it happens again over the next 48 hours so it is captured on the monitor.  The PACs have stopped after a solid run of about 4 hours.  Not sure what that was all about, but the nurse did say that some people get them from caffeine.  I have not had caffiene in 15 years cause of the svt, but I met a friend for breakfast this morning and had a large cup of decaf coffee and I know sometimes at restaurants I always wonder if it is really decaf!  Maybe that's what did it.  I think I'm done drinking even decaf coffee after this!
Glad the dr accomodated you.  Don;t drive yourself to crazy trying to figure out what the trigger was.    Hopefully its just PAC/PVC's and not SVT.    The heart does crazy things as it heals.  If things persist maybe they can maybe give you a beta blocker while the heart heals.   I was placed on Atenolol at my last visit he told me to get off of it but right now its my safety blanket that I am not ready to give up.  I tried but had a run of SVT due to trying Zyrtec and decided I am staying on it a while longer.  Its mental at this point.   Good Luck with the monitor, I hope you capture the problem.
Hi Annie i am weighing in too...i had my ablation 3 1/2 years ago for the exact same thing that you did and went thru the exact same thing.  I panic 'd any time i felt anything and then my doc put it into perspective for me telling me tht the human heart beats over 100,000 times in any day at a minimum so that cleared that up.  They actually had me use the cardionet instead of the monitor so i could press it to my heart the second tht the episodes popped up and it went straight to a 24 hour service that notified the doc if anything looked weird.  I could have sworn it did but hey what do i know.  Like Debbier they put me on a low dose of antenolol to get me thru the rough patches and told me to give it up to six months and as each day goes by it will become less and less and less....that i had to be patient because my heart was relearning the right way to have the electrical activity flow and to beat in mind that my heart was no doubt still angry at me from being poked, prodded and penetrated and then zapped!!!  They were totally right day by day it got to be a little bit better until the day came where i had a run of about 3 days and suddenly remembered that i couldn't feel my heart anymore what a shock that was...and i think the docs office was glad they weren't mistaking me for a plant anymore and tried to water me LOL because i sat my fanny in there office every time something popped up....you can bet i sent them a huge bunch of flowers after the 6 month mark and i now have my life back...patience, patience, patience...if they said they got it they did....don't wait a bomb to go off that never will and just so you know...decaf coffee has caffeine in it.....good luck we are all here for you....
Hi Annie - I had an ablation 11 days ago and like you I have had some 'runs' whereby my heart feels somewhat like a yo yo ... I checked with my EP and he says its normal ... a lot of people here confirm the same ...  Since I stopped monitoring my HR I feel a whole lot better.  You can check your pulse just by simply placing your index finger on your wrist (pulse) take a 10 second count and multiply by 6.  I think it is under-estimated just how psychologically damaged people with arrhythmia become.  It takes time to come to terms with the fact that it takes time to get over the trauma of SVT's etc.  Ending up in the ER via ambulance, Adenosine, cardioversion, it all takes its toll.  I just hope you have understanding people around you to support you.  I do and I have never felt so loved and understood in my whole life.  

Take care, it will get better for you, and for me!
Thank you all for your support!  I really appreciate hearing all of your stories!!  It helps me to know that I am not the only one who has had this happen.

Kinda funny.....today I am really hoping my heart goes into one of its little svt-like runs while I am on the monitor.  I want the doctor to be able to see what is happening with me.

Debbier, hearing that Zyrtec brought on a run of svt in you after the ablation leaves me kind of wondering just how "cured" we all really are after an ablation. Obviously certain medicines would trigger the svt before the ablation, but I thought that was all supposed to be behind us once we were "fixed."  That's like me yesterday....went to Panera and had a cinnamon crunch bagel and large decaf coffee and as I was ordering I was thining, wow, this order would have thrown me into svt before the ablation!  Well guess what...it did anyway.  So what happened to the 98% cure rate or whatever I was quoted by the doctor before I had it done???  Sorry to sound negative, but I guess I'm still just kind of down today.  I expected to be well and have all this behind me by now.  Maybe I should go have a large cup of caffeinated coffee and really get my heart going for the monitor!!! (just kidding!)
I can relate to how you feel about "wondering how cured we all really are." After my ablation, my doc told me there were complications and I might have to stay on my meds the rest of my life! He said that would be considered a success and if I had felt better (he said this RIGHT after the ablation) I would have hollered at him. Part of the reason I had the ablation was to get off the stinky meds.
But, almost 6 weeks in, I can tell you that I feel so incredibly much better, higher energy, emotionally awake, that I'm going to be grateful even if I have to stay on the meds, which I hope I don't.
My doc quoted a 75% cure rate, with 23% having to have an ablation done more than once. I was afraid to ask about the other 2%! Because mine had complications, he was only able to ablate 95% of left atria and none of the right. But it seems to have made a huge difference and I'm going for that.
You will relax, I still get nervous sometimes. It does get better day by day is my experience. And when you really start to feel good, you begin to realize how horrible you felt pre-ablation.
Take care!
i had an ablation done on june 16th of this year and felt fine, that was till today i was setting at work an out of the blue i got my irregular heartbeat back although it does not feel like the pounding in my chest before the ablation i can feel it i was hoping after the ablation everything would be fixed now i guess i have to wait to see what my ep Dr. tells me
Well I had my appt today with the ep and the 48 hour monitor showed PACs and also a brief run of atrial tachycardia.  He said that the reading showed that the svt that I had ablated was definitely gone, but now I have a different arrhythmia in its place.  And though the monitor only captured one tachycardia run, he was fairly certain that the tachycardia episodes that I have been having are also atrial tachycardia.

So now I have a new arrhythmia...blah.  I have very confused about this whole thing.  He said that the atrial tachycardia could be a new arrhythmia, or a precurser to atrial fibrillation, or still just be from my heart being irritated and healing from the ablation.  Of course that is what I am hoping and praying it is.  I am scared to death of atrial fibrillaion.  And I really don't understand how I could have suddenly developed a new arrhythmia, unless the ablation caused it, or if it was always there and just masked by the avnrt svt which was worse.

In any case, he prescribed 35 mg atenolol to keep things under control.  Has anyone taken this and does it have many side effects?  He stressed that an atrial tachycardia is not a serious or dangerous arrhythmia, but I am so worried about it progressing to a-fib.  I am clinging to the hope that it will improve as my heart continues to heal from the ablation, but it's been 8 weeks now, so I'm not so sure.

I'm sooooo down about this.  Any encouraging words would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi Annie,  I am taking Atenolol since my ablation.  It has worked really well.  I had issues up until 5 months,  My EP told me it could take up to 6 months to get the full effect.   I just reached 6 months and things have been good and he has suggested I wean off Atenolol but its my security blanket that I dont want to give up just yet.  The Atenolol may make you tired but your body will get use to it.  Good Luck!
Hi Debbie,
So you think the atrial tachycardia is from the ablation?  I hope so! It does seem strange that I had the first episode exactly one week after the ablation.  EIther it must have caused it, or it was there all along and was masked by the anvrt.  Just seems too coincidental to develop something brand new just now.  At least that's what I keep telling myself, then I get all worked up again and worried.  I just hope it goes away as my heart settles down.

Has anyone else out there developed atrial tachycardia after an ablation for avnrt??
Hey, this has been comforting to read cause I had my ablation going on three weeks ago. It seemed like the first week and a half my heart was fine but now I'm getting skipped beats, extra beats or like a set if 6 or 7 fast beats. I had the ablation done for avnrt.
It's perfectly normal to experience some skips and short runs for up to a year afterwards.  It will take some time before you con tell if your ablation was successful.
I just had my ablation for AVNRT 6 weeks ago.  My EP said it was a success.  However, I've been experiencing some episodes of palpitations and skipped beats.  I was beginning to think that the procedure really didn't work and that my EP was wrong about it's success.  But like everyone on this site, he said these palps and missed beats are normal during the healing process. It's hard to believe I am cured when I'm still experiencing the same old symptoms but with increased frequency.  I've had to call for an ambulance a few times since the ablation because of palps and each time the paramedics tell me I am not in SVT but a regular sinus tachycardia (anything over 100 beats/min).  It still feels like the SVT with how fast it races, but I will take their word and hope this will eventually go away.  I am especially encouraged by those of you who are further out from your ablation and reporting feeling great.  Thank you for taking the time to help those of us who are still in the early phase.
Hi, i'm just reading the whole conversation.. made me feel a little better. So u had the same symptoms too? I had an ablation done i think 4-5weeks ago. Had an svt episode 2weeks ago, last week, and yesterday and today too. The longest was a think not even a minute and the others around 15-20sec. I'm stressed, was crying a lot, that it didn't work out with me, my smile went away...and the skipped beats... sometimes i have an episode like 30minutes or 15 minutes, i'mhaving skipped beats, extra beats, feels like i'm getting an electric shock to my body, and specially when i'm to trying to sleep...it wajkes me up,and i start stressing and having hot flushes and feeling everything even more...and am totally focused on my heart... sometimes it feels like starts an svt and it stops and starts again... ot simply svt, it takes my breath away, feels like somebody hits my chest, very weird...
It looks like i can't drink coffee?not even decaf???does have decaf coffeine?? no way... i'm shocked!! When i talk to people about my symptoms, everybody says that everything will be ok, and etc.. but this forum makes me feel better... i want somebodys opinion with the same problems, not just somebodys who has no idea what i'm talking about....
I'm in europe now, came for a vacation, was shaking about my episode again, but i just calmed down that i#m not alone..
But actually i'm scared too from those skipped beats, if it's not a different type of arrythmia now... but i still don't understand that how is that possible ,having svt's after ablation...if the nerves died...
Hang in there, Viki!   I know it is scary and frustrating, but I am now almost two years post ablation and feel great.  My heart pretty much calmed down about 6 months after the ablation.  I still was getting very brief (seconds) of what felt somewhat like the svt, but the doctor said not to worry about these brief "tachy bursts"....that they were most likely just a run of skipped beats.  He put me on atenolol 25 mg to calm the skipped beats and I barely notice them anymore.  Keep asking your doctor...don't be afraid to contact him with your quesitons!!
annie1724

ps....I haven't posted in so long, the forum had kicked me off!  Couldn't remember my password, so I had to sign in under a slightly new name!  It's still me!  :)
I have been reading the comments on many sites to try and see if I am feeling normal stuff. I have been having Palpitations constantly for months. I had an ablation on December 30th for AVNRT and the PVCs are getting worse and not better. I have them sometimes ever 8 beats or so all day. It has only been 3 months so I am trying to keep calm. I have not had anyone at the drs office tell me it will ever get better. They have not even mentioned that it is part of the healing process. I have asked and they hedge the answer. I never had them before. I never eat chocolate or drink caffeine or drink alcohol or anything. I am tired of all the action in my chest.
Were you on any medication before your ablation to help control the AVNRT?  Just wondering, because I was on verapamil for years to control the AVNRT before finally having the ablation to correct it.  Then I went off all medication and the AVNRT was cured but I was having a lot of trouble with skipped beats. I was very concerned, thinking it was either a new arrhythmia or that the ablation hadn't cured the AVNRT.  My ep said not to worry about these brief skipped beats and tachy bursts, but he did put me on 25 mg atenolol to help calm things.  At first I was really annoyed at having to take heart medication after my ablation, but finally accepted it and it has made the world of difference.  I barely even notice them anymore.  I think with me, the verapamil I had been on was helping to calm the skipped beats along with the AVNRT.  When I went off the medicine since the AVNRT was cured, I felt the skipping so much more.  Just a thought....  
I have taken 12.5 mg atenolol the last 2 days and I must say I hardly feel anything now. Before the ablation I was on 50 mg of Atenolol only when I had an SVT attack because my blood pressure dropped really low and I was faint at work. I think I will continue to take the atenolol until the 6 moth mark and see if it settles down. I never had the PVCs before, just the occassional SVT so this constant activity is really disturbing. At least knowing that other people experienced these skipped beats after their ablation and they often go away or get better gives me some hope.
I was feeling better for 9 days, hardly any pvcs.  Now Im having tons of pvcs again. Every other beat or 10th beat. Lots of them. I took the atenolol today but it doesnt seem to be helping. Is this normal? I have heard from some of you that it can take 6 months to get better. I am just frustrated. I was never told that this could happen after an ablation. I thought it would all be over after the ablation. Anyone have any ideas?
I know it seems like the ablation caused you to have more pvcs even though the doctors proclaim this isn't the case.  The best reason I can give for this is that we just weren't feeling them prior and/or we were feeling something but weren't aware of what it was but now that the svt is gone the pvcs are more noticeable.  I had avnrt.  The last year or so I would notice the occassional fizzle type feeling and then I would usually tend to fall into tachycardia.  Maybe a couple of times a week at best.  But I also felt flutters on some days as well as I was starting to get a pain in my chest that felt like someone was poking me with a stick.  This pain actually would last most of the day and then be gone by morning.  Now after the ablation I still feel the pvcs, some days worse than others but I don't get the flutter feeling anymore and when I do feel the poking feeling it doesn't seem to last as long as it did prior to the ablation.  So though I initially felt like I was having more pvcs/pacs after the ablation I may actually be having less but simply feeling them more because prior I always just associated everything I felt to effects of the svt.  I cannot guarantee the same will happen in your case but I will say I am 7 months out from my ablation and though I still feel the pvcs and there are days when they are bad when they make me a little short of breath especially after drinking but in general I don't feel them as intensely as I did right after the ablation and there are some I am possibly not feeling at all.  I say this because I will sometimes feel the poking feeling for a wee bit but not have noticed the ectopic that caused it.  So try to hang in there.  the pvcs may never go away but you will more than likely desensitize to them at some point again once your heart has had ample time to rest from the ablation.  The best advice I can give you is to try and make an effort to calm your breathing as much as you can when you notice they are getting real bad.  It seems to help me.  Well hang in there.  I really do think you will feel better in the near future.
Thanks michelle. I am noticing that they dont usually bother me as much as they did. I did have the 9 good days which is the most Ive had in quite a while. Then I had the 2 bad days. Today so far seems much better again. I stayed in bed for a while this morning because I wasnt feeling any and didnt want to get up and set them off. I guess it will get better with time. On the good days I can stil feel some, but they arent as often or as hard as the bad days. Have a great weekend.
Mine too was a slow improvement over the span of about six months.  I can't say I woke up one morning and they were gone.  It was more like you....slowly more and more good days in a row than bad.

It wasn't until six months post ablation that I started on the atenolol  because I wanted to see if they would go away on their own and I was just too darn stubborn to start on more heart medicine after my ablation!  Anyway, by the time I was six months post ablation the pacs/pvcs really had improved a ton and I barely noticed them.  The cardiologist still thought I should take the atenolol just to keep things settled down, but I still was fighting it.  Then my blood pressure was ever so slightly going up, and my family doctor sat me down and told me to give in and take the atenolol!  That it would keep my blood pressure low and had the added benefit of making me not notice the skipped beats anymore.  

So I broke down and started taking the atenolol and I have to say it's been no problem whatsoever.  My blood pressure is nice and low again and, while I still get skipped beats every so often ( I guess everyone does, we all are just super aware of them) I barely even notice them.

Anyway, this rambling is just to reassure you that I'm confident your skipped beats will continue to diminish as time goes by from your ablation and you'll be feeling great and so happy you had it done!
I don't guess there's any rhyme or reason to any of this.  I had an ablation 1 1/2 yrs ago for a-fib.  For 3 mo. after I was in almost constant a-fib, finally 400 mg a day of flecainide for another 3 mo. stopped it.  Then after a few mo. of feeling relatively normal I started having hr long atrial tachycardia episodes.  Rather run to the ER my EP suggested a Toprol followed by 300 mg flecainide 30 min. later (as a pill in a pocket)  That worked a few times, then I didn't have any episodes of anything for about 3 mo.  I felt great!  Then 2 weeks ago, going through stressful time.....I went into a-fib out of the blue for 3 days straight and now I've had 3 days in and out of tachycardia ( 90% in it)  Go figure.  So it really can last days....or forever.
I hope it does get better and better as time goes by. Does the atenolol make you feel weird? My blood pressure has always been pretty low. Im afraid it might make it drop too low. My doctor is not really concerned about it. I have tried it for short times. I have taken small doses. I took 12.5 mg and it worked well in the past, but yesterday it didnt seem to help.  
Thanks again. I am a real wimp. This is the only medical problem I have ever had. I always avoided the doctor. I try to stay calm, but every so often I start to worry again. I keep thinking of getting them ablated also, but I dont want to go through that again. I dont even think my doctor would even do it. I would have to go elswhere. Too soon to worry about that though. I may be getting a 30 day monitor soon. The doctor said he would give it to me if I wanted.
Fitty....I'm a wimp too!
It's been 4 weeks since myablation. I was given an 80% chance of success and unfortunately the day after I went into SVT.  Luckily that's been the only episode I've had, but I never got them that frequently anyway.

I feel I'm back to normal now, no arrythmias but psycologically it's still  hard. I still wonder if I'll be getting an SVT at any time which is a shame as the main reason I wantd an ablation was to feel completely normal.

One thing that's weird though and that some have mentioned is trying to get to sleep...as I drift off I sometimes get like an 'electric shock' fizz in my head which suddenly wakes me up. It's not painful or anything, just weird and annoying as I just want to fall asleep.Anyone had this? Could it be related to my recent ablation?
I actually had something simular happen last night. My heart was beating really hard when I went to bed also . This was a new thing for me. I did have trouble sleeping for at least a month after the procedure. I had PVCs and anxiety. I also felt a fizzly feeling in my chest a few which I had never felt before. For my whole life when I felt weird things it was almost always followed by SVT so I think it will take a long time for people to accept that nothing is gonna happen. I think it comes and goes as you heal. I had them really bad about the first 3 weeks and then not hardly at all for a few weeks and then they came back. Then I had a good week and then a 5 day run of pvcs all day a couple times a minute and then noting for a few days. My doc gave me a 97% chance of cure. He is really experienced and used to be at Stanford University so I figure he knows. Fortunately so far no SVT.
Also psychologically my GP told me that people who have heart issues even ones like this often experience a type of post traumatic stress syndrome. It takes time to start to trust your heart again.
I totally agree with your GP Fitty. it's been 4 weeks since my ablation and it's only know that I feel happy talking about it. I've never been so terrified in my life. Having SVT has been lifechanging and even though I'm doing absolutely fine I have moments where i just wish I could rewind my life to before my heart troubles

I've had a bit of trouble with sleep too, something new to me. Once I'm asleep I'm fine but it takes me a long time to fall asleep and sometimes my  heart will race a bit. But it's less than 4 weeks for me so I suppose that's normal.
I'm keeping a positive outlook and I am going to start meditation classes next week:) Anything to learn to relax!

These electric fizzes are strange aren't they! I've told my husband and he's looked at me like I'm mad!
Glad you've not had any SVT:)
The fizz for me is the pause after a pvc or pac.  It will sometimes feel more pronounced when I have a couple of pvcs close together.  I can't say that is what you all are feeling for sure since you can only really tell by catching it on a montior but I suspect it is likely what you are also feeling.  Your health choices can only be made by you but just to forewarn you, ablations for svts are generally fairly low risk with high results except for maybe afib.  There is a higher incidence of reoccurance with that svt.  That said, ablations for ectopics whether pacs or pvcs are a mixed bag.  From what I have read it is really hit or miss whether they will be eliminated in the first place, there tends to be a higher incidence of reoccurance probably around the same scale as afib, and in some instances it can create more problems.  From what my doctor stated he wouldn't even consider an ablation unless someone was having at least 20,000 a day.  Basically for any ablation to be successful the EP needs to activate the problem long enough for them to map the problem.  If they can't then they won't know where to ablate.  I don't necessarily say this to talk you out of pursuing one but to caution you to not rush into one out of fear without giving your body a chance to heal.  Really, hang in there.  Things will get better.  Stay strong.
Thanks Michelle. The nurse at the cardiologist office also told me that even if they can ablate them every cell in your heart is capable of conducting a current and under stress you could easily develope a new one. I guess I will just take an atenolol today since I was up most of the night with them last night and need a break.
When you took the atenolol did the side effects subside after a little while or did you ever have any?
When I started on the atenolol I was extremely tired for the first couple of days, but after that I adjusted and have not noticed any side effects.  I take 25 mg once a day and my doc recommended that I take it in the evening when I first started it, so that if I became fatigued it would hit right around bedtime.  So when I first started it, I would take it around 7:30 pm and was ready to fall asleep standing up by about 9:30!  But the effects would wear off by the time I would get up in the morning so the timing was perfect.  Maybe I was lucky, but those side effects diminished in about a week.  I still take the atenolol before bed just in case it would make me tired, but I am always fine the rest of the day.  My resting heart rate is definitely slower and it doesn't get as high as it used to during exercise which I suppose would be a problem if I was a serious athlete but I'm not :)
My blood pressure is also lower and I don't feel as much adrenaline as I used to when I am feeling tense.  So I guess those would be considered good side effects!
Sounds good to me. I took one today and then I started to feel anxious. I got in bed and rested and now I feel better. I think it was the lack of sleep from last night. I dont want to start taking it every day until after I get the event monitor. I cant take it while on that. If that shows nothing dangerous over a month I will feel a lot better about ignoring it. Good thing Im off today. I can handle a week of drowsiness if it will get better. Thanks again
I am 1½ years out from an ablation for SVT and still have some jumps and bumps that feel like the old SVT starting up again. Fortunately it stops there. 5 weeks out is such a short time to evaluate anything, your heart is still settling down and healing the burns on your heart.

Rest up and try to understand that this process takes time, a lot of it!
I do have to tell you Barbie, Even though I am having the PVCs like crazy I am so much better than I was for a while after my ablation. Mentally I am so much better. It just takes time and rest. I took it easy for a while. I had a hard time falling asleep and then woke up early with anxiety for about 6- 8 weeks. That was exhausting. Now I can usually sleep 8 hours straight. It takes time.
I'm trying to take it as easy as I can. I couldn't sleep last night, it was probably 1.30 am by the time I fell asleep. My heart was fast abou t93 beats per minute which I don't think is dangerous but it meant I couldn't relax and fall asleep. So I'm knackered today:( Luckily the kids are at school and I'm not working at the moment so I can have a nap after lunch.

Thanks for reminding me that things take time and 4 weeks post ablation is still early days
My AVNRT was around 240 bpm when I had it. My heart rate was over 100 all the time for a couple of months after my ablation. On Atenolol it would go down to like 90-95. It is because the heart is traumatized. I know it seems like forever, but it will get better.
Thanks fitty. Poor you having such a high heart rate for a couple of months. But at least I've found out that it's normal to have a fast heart for a while. My cardiologist didn't mention it so I was beginning to worry until I came on here and found out that most people experience this.
Your ablation was for AVNRT right? Did you ever have runs of bigeminy after your ablation? Did they make you faint or did you feel ok besides the anxiety? I think this might be what Im experiencing and Im afraid I might get faint at work if it happens and wont stop. I stand all day. I dont get the montitor for 4 more days and Im anxious. I will need to stop the Atenolol while I wear it so they can get it.
Hey everyone.  I'm reading through this trail of comments dating back to 2010.  My story is very similar to many of you here - I'm 38 and healthy.  About a year ago, however, I started having SVT episodes.  Three of them seemed triggered when I bent over to pick something off the ground.  Three more thereafter that seemed triggered by palpitations.  Same events as many of you:  saw a cardiologist, had a range of tests done which concluded no heart issues, wore an event monitor which caught the SVT (AVNRT).  EP recommended ablation procedure, saying it was the best way to go, as meds are not great at solving the issue.  Had the ablation three months ago, and since then, thankfully no SVT, BUT, very frequent and concerning palpitations (PVCs), more than I've ever had before.  I've since worn a holter and an event monitor, and have been told by the EP that the PVCs are benign because of no underlying heart condition.  Unfortunately, I feel almost all of them, and on  bad days (which are most) every 3-5 beats.  I can't help but think these PVCs are as a result of the ablation.  EPs say there is no connection whatsoever.  I could use some reassurance that this has happened to some of you who've had the same procedure for SVT/AVNRT, and that these go away eventually.  Perhaps the heart is resetting itself after the procedure?  Very disturbing to have so many PVCs.  I feel like one problem was solved, but a bigger one was created.  Thoughts?  Advice?  Thanks.  
Good day, I also had an ablation last year, 6th of May. After ablation all were well and I was feeling no pain or anything else. Six weeks after I had a stress test and unfortunately the VT was still there. However, I have no PVC's. Note that the VT was only occuring on exercise or when I was trying to do something really fast. I was 39 when I did the ablation and was exercising a lot. One day at the gym I pressed my self really hard and had a pre fainting event. Runned to ER, I was checked all was okay. However, since that day my brain cannot disconnect from my heart and ablation. I was placed on ConCor 2.5 mg but had site affects. Then I had another stress test with VT still being there. As some point I stopped ConCor and after that I started having PVC's which upset my life. I am sure you also feel the same disturbing feeling. After some time I had another stress test which suprisingly showed better results !! VT was there however asymptomatic !! I decided to take no medication until one day I had strange event with my pressure dropping and after that again PVCs. I was placed on Isoptin 120mg. For some time I was havign PVCs but recently they stopped. I decided to have another ablation with the hope that the problem will be eliminated. As note to all one night that I was feeling that I was having VT when I visited my GP he told me I had Gastritis which can create symptoms like a VT !!! I believe heart needs time to adjust. For me initially it was easy then it developed to anxiety something which I am trying to deal with at the moment. Reading all the experiences in this forum I feel more confident that I am not alone and other people have similar experiences.
I just had an ablation for AVNRT this June of 2013.  I have been going through almost the exact same thing as you described.  Almost every day I have a few short runs of SVT.  Some are even a couple of minutes.  It's not as fast as it was before the ablation, but it is just as uncomfortable.  At the ER they said it looked like sinus tach.  The EP says it is hard to tell at this point and we are waiting to see if it subsides.  It's 6 weeks since I had it and so far it's not getting better.  I almost regret having it done.  So I'm wondering if you have seen any improvement since you posted a year ago.  I would love some encouragement.
Hang in there.  I had shorts runs of SVT along with skips for almost a year and a half.  I still get an occasional brief run of SVT; perhaps 6-12 beats.  Remember, the path is still there and that it has only had a barrier placed across it.  If the path isn't totally severed or if conductive muscle forms over the barrier, you can get it again.  But for now, you need to give it lots more time.
I am 25 and i had ablation 3 years ago for af.I had 2 times 24h holter and it was ok with no af but 1-2 svt (117 beats max and 67 beats min).I worry if my af will come back because yesterday i felt my heart racing while sitting.i check my heart rate with blood pressure monitor and it didnt detect af only 115 beats.Its awful because each time i feel my heart rate increase i panic and the things may get worst because i am full of stress.
Any advice is welcome.
I understand the incidence of afib coming back is a bit higher than other svts but the worse thing you can do is stress out.  The stress itself may be causing the tachycardia.  I would say try to avoid the main triggers like caffeine or sugary foods as well if you have any stomach issues like acid reflux address those and do whatever you need to do to address stress in your life because it very well is contributing to your symptoms.  Finally do your best to keep your heart healthy with diet and exercise and you in the minimum strengthen your ability to tolerate what is going on.  I wish you the best moving forward.  Try to stay positive and focused on your heart remaining afib free.  You might also want to post your questions to a new thread because sometimes these older threads do not get answered as people have moved on.  Take care.

So happy there are others our there that have these issues.  I have had 2 ablations in the last 4 years (one for SVT s) and the last one for ectopics.  No more SVT episodes but the ectopics are daily and nightly!  Make me crazy and very hard to get to sleep. You are not alone.  Go to my EP in a couple of days.  Let's support each other .Thanks!
The anxiety following an ablation is very real and probably not good for the heart but is almost impossible to prevent.  Every little bump or flutter has you thinking the whole thing has failed.  You find yourself constantly checking your pulse and thinking - oh no!  My first ablation did fail almost immediately but this second one, two weeks ago, has been steady sinus since it was done, but it doesn't stop me checking and worrying.  How long before you can say it is successful?
So happy to find you and others that share these heart issues. Yes, the gastritis/GERD/reflux/hernia connection is really true! Went to my EP and he said I was having alot of PAC s only. I said good but I am tired of them EVER
Y day and night. He gave me a new med to try(really for angina) and I am not sure I will try.  I am so against heart meds as I read they either do not work or cause other heart problems. He also offered to try another ablation!  That would be 3! I fight off depression as I dream of my life before any ectopics:)  Keep in touch.  
I found this searching in Internet for an answer. I had the ablation for AFib  in June 26th 2013 and I was well  having some little tachs sometimes till they put me the monitor (Lifewatch) to see if I could leave the anticoagulant. But then, in the last week I began to feel arrhythmia in the nights, while sleeping, I spent almost completely two nights without sleep because any time it began again. I trasmitted and they told me it was not that bad, some AFIB very brief, and other were PVCs. The process to form the scarr  is supposed to be 3 months, although some sites say 'FEW MONTHS'. I am worried that may be the ablation was not a complete but a partial success. Now I see that you and others have troubles in the night too. As they told me it was not that bad (the EKG) I decided to trasmit only once and then not to worry and continue sleeping and I did it last night
I had my ablation five months ago and everything went fine until this ladt month. Started getting skip beats and today I had a run of about an hour with a heart rate of 108. Heart feeld very much out of rythm to me but my rate is in the 70s. Im scared to death, frustrated. I goy pneumonia while I was in the hospital and had a very rough recovery.
I had an ablation for AVNRT 2 years ago.  Took a while to get the rhythm back to some type of normal.  I have been very athletic my entire life.  I'm 57 years old and still question why and how this crap hit me.  I have recently developed a "skip session", but keep reading its a normal thing.  My rested heart rate is in the low 50s, so I guess that's why it's such a "pronounced" feeling.  PA told mevthatits partly caused
Sorry....typing on this damn phone!!;). ...partly caused by the electrical impulse trying to rebuild its old short circuit, so to speak.  Yes, it makes me nervous at times and would like to stop it.  But the great pert is the SVT is completely gone.  I'll keep you guys up on how my ticker keeps beating.  Good luck and keep up your cardio
I had an ablation 8 days ago.  After 12 years, they finally caught my problem on an EKG during a stress test.  I went in with the doctor looking for the area causing VT.  He zeroed in on it and ablated 3-4 times over that area, and could not induce the rhythm an hour after the last burn.  While he was trying to induce me for VT, my heart went into SVT.  He found an area close to a node and ablated that as well.  For the past three nights I have been having what I -think- are PACs or PVCs.  Rate is nice and low, but every beat (or every other beat) feels like it is skipping or something.  It will go on literally all night.  I can change position and they will stop for about a minute, then continue on their merry way.  I honestly don't think I have them during the day- I feel no weird beats.  Only at night!  Anyone have any insight to this?  I called my doc and he is not concerned, feels this is part of the healing process and tells me it could continue into December, but should decrease in frequency.  He offered to do a holter to give me peace of mind, but I said if he is okay with not doing one then I am too.  Any insight from others?
I think it varies a lot from person to person.  But I think everyone has some sort of arrhythmia following the procedure.  Mine was for SVT, and afterwards, I had almost daily short runs SVT; perhaps 6-10 beats.  I too had PVC's following mine, but not to the degree of what you're describing.  These little "blips" lasted for over a year before subsiding.  It will take a long time before it begins to settle down.
Had a afib ablation on 31 st Oct and 3 days later AF came back with pulse 146. went in had it cardioverted and now normal for 1 wk. Heart rate going back up on double the drugs that I was before, clearly hasn't worked. see cardiologist next wk. fed up had AF 14 yrs and still keeps coming back . Christine

PS Took 4 hrs procedure hit 15 burns tut tut
I had a cryoablation about seven weeks ago. The Doctor told me that everything went well. All four of my veins had alot of activity in them. He killed all the activity and now I just needed to wait for the scaring to take hold and let the heart simmer down. For the first six weeks everything went pretty smooth. Except for a few short 8 to 10 second runs all was well. This last week was a little tough. Had two episodes of what I think were Afib. But they weren't nearly as intense as before the ablation. And I was able to get them to convert by themselves. This never happened before. I am also having alot of palpitations that start at night. But they go away in the morning. Just hanging in there and putting in my time. Enjoying all the hours when things are good and looking forward to the day when it all settles down.
I am posting this since I had episodes of Afib I think my whole life (thought it was just  my heart beating funny) and was finally diagnosed in November 2013 at the age of 48.  I decided to go the catheter ablation route since I am a runner and work out and was afraid of meds. About 8 weeks after the ablation, I developed atrial tachycardia which was not picked up until 3 months later after my follow up with the electrophysiologist.  Of course I was upset thinking the ablation did not work. Doc decided to put me on Cardizem since I had been dealing with high blood pressure of and on as well.  After being on Cardizem for 4 months, I have definitely noticed a decrease in palpitations, and after reading other posts, I do think it takes more time for the heart to heal for some people. I was still getting some episodes of tachycardia even on the Cardizem for awhile (although much milder) and now I am not noticing them much at all anymore.  So I am thinking positively that the medication and healing process after the surgery has helped.  And to think in the beginning, I was afraid to take Cardizem because of side effects and basically have had none.  i just want my message to get out there, since I was so scared for months after the ablation and was paranoid about every heartbeat to the point where I was getting panic attacks.  I think once you are diagnosed with a heart arrythmia, you do have to mentally adjust to it and not get overwhelmed, but it is a difficult process.  My thoughts go out to all of you who have been through this.