skipping beats
I am 25 years old and had trouble in the past with tachycardia, but that has since subsided and the doctor said my heart muscle looked healthy, that was about 4-5 years ago. In recent weeks I have been having episodes of my heart feeling like it was skipping beats. When it happens I feel fluttery in my chest and then it travels seemingly up to my throat where it feels like a squeezing sensation like I can't breathe and I feel dizzy. Then I feel a whump in my left side as my heart beats again. The whole episode only lasts a few seconds then it will do it all over again. Before today it was only every once in a while lasting a few minutes total, but today it lasted for 20 minutes, and I was becoming quite scared. Anyone know what may be the cause of this? Thanks in advance!
Hello em2005,

Im not a physician so Im just guessing here, but Im wondering if youre having PVCs? They are funny little heart beats we all have from time to time. They feel different because they originate from a different part of your heart than the regular beats. If it were me, I would pay attention to how you feel when these beats or episodes start up. Do you feel short of breath, lightheaded, chest tightness, nausea? If you notice any symptoms that go along with the new beats, Id probably give my cardiologist office a call to set up a visit. He/she may want to do an EKG in the office or may just reassure you that everything is fine.

Take care, have a good weekend.
It could also be something in the atria as opposed to pvcs.  I think the length of your symptoms and the fact that they are making you feel dizzy and short of breath could mean you are having some sort of atrial tachycardia. If you get these episodes at least once a month then you may be able to catch it quite easily with a 30 day event monitor.  I would go back to your cardiologist and let him know what you are feeling and ask for the event monitor to try and catch what this is.  I suspect some sort of svt that is likely triggered and stopped by an ectopic beat but we can't say for certain until it is caught on the monitor.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are.