Heart Rhythm Community
slow pulse rate after cardioversion

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

slow pulse rate after cardioversion

My wife had an op. for a mitral valve repair and AF (maze) some ten weeks ago. After the op. she was put on amiodarone, digoxin and furosemide. While the MVR appeared successful the maze did not kick in, experiencing irregular heartbeats cica 90 p.m. She then had cardioversion a few days ago; her heart rhythm appears to have regularised but her pulse rate has dropped to 42-46 p.m. and she has lost a lot ef energy. She has been taken off all medication except warfarin (5 mg pd) Where do we go from here?
Given she is off medications, I'd give her a few more days to see if her pulse comes up to at least the 60s.  It is good she is staying on warfarin as AFib can return at any time.

I have gone through similar procedures:  mitral valve repair and maze, which did not stop the AFib.  And an electrocardioversion, which held me in sinus for only a couple of weeks.  Sorry I can share a more successful experience, I share just to help justify the continuation of warfarin.   I have had much better results from electrocardioversion in past years when they held for up to 18 months.  My experience say AFib is a life-long exercise in control measures.  The low PR is not something I have ever experienced.  My lowest when in sinus has been approximately 60.
It is not entirely uncommon to need a pacemaker after some of these interventions.  If it so happens, it really is not all bad.  I LOVE mine.  Compared to all the rest of the stuff- meds, interventions... it's a cakewalk and helps a lot.  I hope it turns around soon, but you are not out of options.